Using vimdiff for merging with Unison File Synchronizer

  • erwin.gaubitzer@...
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
      Hi

      The File Synchronizer Unison has the possibility to merge two versions of a file both of which have been changed. Unison is perfect for use in a shell, so using it with vim as the merging tool would be perfect, too. The problem is that using a simple
      "vimdiff CURRENT1 CURRENT2"
      just does not start vim. The two best links regarding this are the following:

      http://trembits.blogspot.co.at/2010/02/merging-unison-conflict-with-vim.html
      http://hash-bang.net/2009/08/ia-merging-unison/

      Their solutions are workarounds, one starts a screen-Session, the other uses gvimdiff. But it would be better to have it working directly in the terminal session.
      So my question is, does anybody know what kind of problem this is?
      I've tried some options like -debug or -V, but there is no possibility to get more information out of it.

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
        On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:08:21 AM UTC-6, erwin.g...@... wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > The File Synchronizer Unison has the possibility to merge two versions of a file both of which have been changed. Unison is perfect for use in a shell, so using it with vim as the merging tool would be perfect, too. The problem is that using a simple
        > "vimdiff CURRENT1 CURRENT2"
        > just does not start vim. The two best links regarding this are the following:
        >
        > http://trembits.blogspot.co.at/2010/02/merging-unison-conflict-with-vim.html
        > http://hash-bang.net/2009/08/ia-merging-unison/
        >
        > Their solutions are workarounds, one starts a screen-Session, the other uses gvimdiff. But it would be better to have it working directly in the terminal session.
        > So my question is, does anybody know what kind of problem this is?
        > I've tried some options like -debug or -V, but there is no possibility to get more information out of it.

        Maybe vimdiff is an alias which is not being used, or a script not on the path, or something like that?

        Try vim -d CURRENT1 CURRENT2 to launch Vim in diff mode a different way.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013
          Thank you Ben

          This is not the problem, I am using vimdiff 100 times a day and I tried vim with -d, -D, -T "ansi", -V. Using "xterm -e vimdiff ..." works, but opens a new xterm, which I think is not optimal. (also see the links I provided)

          Maybe vim does not recognize that it already has a terminal for output, but I really have no clue!

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013
            On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:24:10 AM UTC-6, erwin.g...@... wrote:
            > Thank you Ben
            >
            > This is not the problem, I am using vimdiff 100 times a day and I tried vim with -d, -D, -T "ansi", -V. Using "xterm -e vimdiff ..." works, but opens a new xterm, which I think is not optimal. (also see the links I provided)
            >
            > Maybe vim does not recognize that it already has a terminal for output, but I really have no clue!

            All the tools I see which actually worked in those links you provided were GUI apps (including GVIM) or a brand new invocation of a terminal. Unison doesn't need a GUI app for its diff program, does it?

            :help -f says that it only affects the GUI Vim, so the problem isn't forking. I wonder if Vim is having trouble detecting the right terminal? It looks like you tried -T "ansi", do you know this to be correct?

            I almost never use Vim in a terminal, I almost always use gvim even on Linux, so I'm not going to be much further help here, sad to say.