Re: ios vim and plugins

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 19, 2013
      On Feb 17, 2013, at 7:07 PM, Chris Lott wrote:

      > Nothing competes with Vim, but I still can't get past the fact
      > that--most of the time--I can't ever get into insert mode with iPad
      > Vim and my external keyboard. In the meantime, I use
      > Textastic...that's the best I've found and it integrates with dropbox.

      I have no problem getting into insert mode using the virtual keyboard. I was also able to remap <esc> to jj, which some have said can't be done. It is a little tricky, though. You have to do the jj real fast. [Is there a setting I could change that would get jj recognized as a single command by allowing for a slightly longer delay between the letters?]

      I am sticking with the virtual keyboard. I don't want to lug around a bluetooth. The problem, of course, is that at present many of the keys required for efficient use of vim are either awkward to get to or missing altogether. That will be remedied when somebody comes up with enhancements for the virtual keyboard.

      There are lots of editors and other applications out there for the iPad that have enhanced keyboards, several of them with configurable enhancements. One, FastKeyboard, has 12 rows of configurable keys! A couple rows would do for vim

      Eric Weir
      eeweir@...

      "Our world is a human world." - Hilary Putnam

    • Aaron Ponce
      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 14, 2013
        On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:45:48 AM UTC-5, Eric Weir wrote:
        > On Feb 21, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Charles E Campbell <drchip@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Netrw is not asking for confirmation, its asking you to provide the new name. Thus the "Moving (curfilename) to (curfilename)" message, which you can edit (or not, which is the "future" to which I jocularly referred to above). Netrw doesn't change the message afterwards, it leaves it on the display.
        >

        > > The "renaming" operation has always worked that way; and it actually is a move.
        >

        > Thanks, Charles. It appears I did misremember.

        > Eric Weir
        >
        > Decatur, GA. USA
        >

        > "The invincible shield of caring
        >
        > is a weapon from the sky
        >
        > against being dead."
        >

        > – Tao Te Ching, 67

        Any news on vim for iOS? I have been using it for its outliner mode, which I really like, but some of the same issues came up for me that were mentioned in these posts. Mainly, dealing with files, deleting directories, and trying to find a way to sync files.

        Just wondering if anyone had found any workarounds, solutions lately.

        AP