Re: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?

  • Daniel Zhang
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18, 2013
      I map Caps_Lock as Esc

      2013/2/19 Steve Litt <slitt@...>
      On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:23:00 +1100
      "John Beckett" <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:

      > Steve Litt wrote:
      > > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for
      > > Esc, whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?
      >
      > Some ideas are at:
      > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key
      >
      > I use the bizarre method on that page involving Enter (search
      > for "ToggleEnterMapping"). It's really weird and it took a while to
      > get used to it, but pressing Enter is so easy and natural when
      > one wants to terminate a command that it is now second nature.
      > I press Ctrl-Enter in gvim to insert a manual end line, or
      > switch off the mapping with its procedure for that.
      >
      > John

      Thanks John,

      I wish I'd read that article years ago. Right now I'm trying jk, but I
      might try a lot of that web page's other suggestions.

      Thanks

      SteveT

    • Erik Christiansen
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 18, 2013
        On Feb 18, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:
        > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for Esc,
        > whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?

        The tiny and distant Esc key on laptops quickly forced me to find
        something better, primarily for vim, but necessarily consistent for
        _all_ applications, so that muscle memory can be relied upon, whatever
        you're doing. So I just changed the CapsLock key to Esc:

        Added to ~/.Xmodmap:

        keycode 0x42 = Escape
        clear Lock # Disable Caps-Lock

        I'm still using the cursor keys for motion, despite decades as a
        programmer, and have been happy with that Esc on laptops and desktops
        for years now.

        Erik

        --
        Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but
        coaxed down-stairs a step at a time.

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
          On 2013-02-19 18:54, Erik Christiansen wrote:
          > The tiny and distant Esc key on laptops quickly forced me to find
          > something better, primarily for vim,

          I work primarily on laptops and found that <esc> wasn't the problem,
          but that it was too close to <f1>. So I mapped <f1> to behave like
          <esc> so I can just shove my finger in the general direction of the
          upper-left corner and get the behavior I want regardless of my
          poor accuracy. :-)

          -tim

        • Steve Litt
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
            :-)

            Thanks Daniel,

            I can't do that because I use capslock all the time for its intended
            purpose.

            Of course, what maybe I COULD (see what I mean) do would be to make
            Capslock Esc, and then make Esc capslock. I use capslock much less than
            Esc.

            SteveT

            On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:03:56 +0800
            Daniel Zhang <wodesuck@...> wrote:

            > I map Caps_Lock as Esc
            >

            > 2013/2/19 Steve Litt <slitt@...>
            >
            > > On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:23:00 +1100

            > > > Some ideas are at:
            > > > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key
            > > >
            > > > I use the bizarre method on that page involving Enter (search
            > > > for "ToggleEnterMapping"). It's really weird and it took a while
            > > > to get used to it, but pressing Enter is so easy and natural when
            > > > one wants to terminate a command that it is now second nature.
            > > > I press Ctrl-Enter in gvim to insert a manual end line, or
            > > > switch off the mapping with its procedure for that.
            > > >
            > > > John
            > > >

            > > Thanks John,
            > >
            > > I wish I'd read that article years ago. Right now I'm trying jk,
            > > but I might try a lot of that web page's other suggestions.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > SteveT
            > >
            > > --
            > > --
            > >
            > > ---

          • Steve Litt
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
              On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:50:38 -0600
              Benjamin Klein <ben@...> wrote:

              > On Feb 18, 2013, at 7:52 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Thank you!
              >
              > You're welcome -- glad to be of help. :) I was going to say that I
              > borrowed that one from Steve Losh's excellent (and lengthy) "Coming
              > Home To Vim" (http://stevelosh.com/blog/2010/09/coming-home-to-vim/),
              > but I just looked and it seems that he uses jj instead, so I must
              > have found that one elsewhere.
              >
              > I've read that jk is faster than jj -- I can't prove that, but
              > certainly jk is very fast once you get to used to it.

              Thanks Benjamin,

              I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
              slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way. The
              jj combo is similar. But with jf, the left index finger is readying
              itself as the right index finger strikes, so it will be faster. The
              cool thing about the j key is it's unlikely to be followed by a
              consonant, so I have the choice of many, many key combos.

              I'll get back to you all when I've fully evaluated key combos.

              Thanks

              SteveT

            • Grahame Blackwood
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
                On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:

                > from: Steve Litt <slitt@...>
                > date: Mon, Feb 18 05:54 PM -05:00 2013
                > to: vim_use@...
                > reply-to: vim_use@...
                > subject: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?
                >
                > Hi all,
                >
                > I injured my left middle finger and can no longer extend it. Therefore,
                > hitting the Esc key to get out of insert mode stops my work in its
                > tracks.
                >
                > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for Esc,
                > whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > SteveT

                Hi Steve

                I find ;; feels quite natural and quick.

                Cheers

                Grahame

              • Chris Lott
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
                  On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:
                  > I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
                  > slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way.

                  Most who type in classical position have jk under their index and
                  middle finger, making it easy to rapidly type the two. kj would be the
                  most "natural" for me, but it occurs in just enough words to be
                  irritating...

                  Chris Lott <chris@...>

                • darkweasel
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
                    Am 2013-02-19 21:54, schrieb Tim Chase:
                    > On 2013-02-19 11:41, Chris Lott wrote:
                    >> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Steve Litt
                    >> <slitt@...> wrote:
                    >>> I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
                    >>> slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way.
                    >>
                    >> Most who type in classical position have jk under their index and
                    >> middle finger, making it easy to rapidly type the two. kj would be
                    >> the most "natural" for me, but it occurs in just enough words to be
                    >> irritating...
                    >
                    > You type "blackjack", "lockjaw" or "Reykjavik" that often? ;-)
                    >
                    > -tim

                    There might be other languages where that combination is more common. ;)

                  • Tim Chase
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
                        On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 09:37 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:

                        > from: Steve Litt <slitt@...>
                        > date: Thu, Feb 21 04:37 PM -05:00 2013
                        > to: Grahame Blackwood <grahameblackwood@...>
                        > subject: Re: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?
                        >
                        > On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 16:41:14 +0000
                        > Grahame Blackwood <grahameblackwood@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Steve Litt
                        >> <slitt@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> > from: Steve Litt <slitt@...>
                        >> > date: Mon, Feb 18 05:54 PM -05:00 2013
                        >> > to: vim_use@...
                        >> > reply-to: vim_use@...
                        >> > subject: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?
                        >> >
                        >> > Hi all,
                        >> >
                        >> > I injured my left middle finger and can no longer extend it.
                        >> > Therefore, hitting the Esc key to get out of insert mode stops my
                        >> > work in its tracks.
                        >> >
                        >> > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for Esc,
                        >> > whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?
                        >> >
                        >> > Thanks
                        >> >
                        >> > SteveT
                        >> >
                        >> Hi Steve
                        >>
                        >> Sorry to hear about your injury and hope your finger improves soon.
                        >>
                        >> I tried replying to the vim_use list but my email hasn't shown up.
                        >>
                        >> My preferred substitute for esc is ;; as on my keyboard it falls under
                        >> my right little finger. I either hit it twice or sometimes just hold
                        >> it down until vim exits insert mode.
                        >>
                        >> Cheers

                        > Thanks Graham. I finally settled on jf, but ;; would have been pretty
                        > good too.
                        >
                        > I think I know your name from a list other than the Vim list: LyX, Lua,
                        > something like that?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Steve

                        Hi Steve

                        Probably Vimoutliner or Lyx. We have also corresponded about your Umenu system
                        which I use every day, so thank you for developing it and also
                        Vimoutliner - both very useful tools.

                        Cheers