RE: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18, 2013
      Steve Litt wrote:
      > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for
      > Esc, whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?

      Some ideas are at:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key

      I use the bizarre method on that page involving Enter (search
      for "ToggleEnterMapping"). It's really weird and it took a while to
      get used to it, but pressing Enter is so easy and natural when
      one wants to terminate a command that it is now second nature.
      I press Ctrl-Enter in gvim to insert a manual end line, or
      switch off the mapping with its procedure for that.

      John

    • Steve Litt
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 18, 2013
        On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:58:45 -0600
        Benjamin Klein <ben@...> wrote:

        > On Feb 18, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for Esc,
        > > whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?
        >
        > I use jk:
        >
        > inoremap jk <Esc>
        >
        > This one shouldn’t require a finger from your left hand at all and is
        > very fast indeed.

        VERY nice. Thank you Benjamin!

        I tried it on my laptop and it worked very well. It's a little awkward,
        and before my injury I would have preferred the Esc key, but given the
        situation, jk is an excellent choice. I might later change it to jj or
        kk or kl or something, to see if they're ergonomically better, but even
        though I'm not used to it, jk is very nice.

        Thank you!

        SteveT

      • Steve Litt
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 18, 2013
          On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:23:00 +1100
          "John Beckett" <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:

          > Steve Litt wrote:
          > > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for
          > > Esc, whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?
          >
          > Some ideas are at:
          > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key
          >
          > I use the bizarre method on that page involving Enter (search
          > for "ToggleEnterMapping"). It's really weird and it took a while to
          > get used to it, but pressing Enter is so easy and natural when
          > one wants to terminate a command that it is now second nature.
          > I press Ctrl-Enter in gvim to insert a manual end line, or
          > switch off the mapping with its procedure for that.
          >
          > John

          Thanks John,

          I wish I'd read that article years ago. Right now I'm trying jk, but I
          might try a lot of that web page's other suggestions.

          Thanks

          SteveT

        • Daniel Zhang
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 18, 2013
            I map Caps_Lock as Esc

            2013/2/19 Steve Litt <slitt@...>
            On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:23:00 +1100
            "John Beckett" <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:

            > Steve Litt wrote:
            > > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for
            > > Esc, whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?
            >
            > Some ideas are at:
            > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key
            >
            > I use the bizarre method on that page involving Enter (search
            > for "ToggleEnterMapping"). It's really weird and it took a while to
            > get used to it, but pressing Enter is so easy and natural when
            > one wants to terminate a command that it is now second nature.
            > I press Ctrl-Enter in gvim to insert a manual end line, or
            > switch off the mapping with its procedure for that.
            >
            > John

            Thanks John,

            I wish I'd read that article years ago. Right now I'm trying jk, but I
            might try a lot of that web page's other suggestions.

            Thanks

            SteveT

          • Benjamin Klein
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 18, 2013
              On Feb 18, 2013, at 7:52 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:

              Thank you!

              You're welcome -- glad to be of help. :) I was going to say that I borrowed that one from Steve Losh's excellent (and lengthy) "Coming Home To Vim" (http://stevelosh.com/blog/2010/09/coming-home-to-vim/), but I just looked and it seems that he uses jj instead, so I must have found that one elsewhere.

              I've read that jk is faster than jj -- I can't prove that, but certainly jk is very fast once you get to used to it. And for something as common as going back to normal mode from insert, it is definitely nice to be using keys right there on the home row instead of having to reach way out for the Esc key.

            • Erik Christiansen
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 18, 2013
                On Feb 18, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:
                > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for Esc,
                > whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?

                The tiny and distant Esc key on laptops quickly forced me to find
                something better, primarily for vim, but necessarily consistent for
                _all_ applications, so that muscle memory can be relied upon, whatever
                you're doing. So I just changed the CapsLock key to Esc:

                Added to ~/.Xmodmap:

                keycode 0x42 = Escape
                clear Lock # Disable Caps-Lock

                I'm still using the cursor keys for motion, despite decades as a
                programmer, and have been happy with that Esc on laptops and desktops
                for years now.

                Erik

                --
                Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but
                coaxed down-stairs a step at a time.

              • Tim Chase
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
                  On 2013-02-19 18:54, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                  > The tiny and distant Esc key on laptops quickly forced me to find
                  > something better, primarily for vim,

                  I work primarily on laptops and found that <esc> wasn't the problem,
                  but that it was too close to <f1>. So I mapped <f1> to behave like
                  <esc> so I can just shove my finger in the general direction of the
                  upper-left corner and get the behavior I want regardless of my
                  poor accuracy. :-)

                  -tim

                • Steve Litt
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
                    :-)

                    Thanks Daniel,

                    I can't do that because I use capslock all the time for its intended
                    purpose.

                    Of course, what maybe I COULD (see what I mean) do would be to make
                    Capslock Esc, and then make Esc capslock. I use capslock much less than
                    Esc.

                    SteveT

                    On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:03:56 +0800
                    Daniel Zhang <wodesuck@...> wrote:

                    > I map Caps_Lock as Esc
                    >

                    > 2013/2/19 Steve Litt <slitt@...>
                    >
                    > > On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:23:00 +1100

                    > > > Some ideas are at:
                    > > > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key
                    > > >
                    > > > I use the bizarre method on that page involving Enter (search
                    > > > for "ToggleEnterMapping"). It's really weird and it took a while
                    > > > to get used to it, but pressing Enter is so easy and natural when
                    > > > one wants to terminate a command that it is now second nature.
                    > > > I press Ctrl-Enter in gvim to insert a manual end line, or
                    > > > switch off the mapping with its procedure for that.
                    > > >
                    > > > John
                    > > >

                    > > Thanks John,
                    > >
                    > > I wish I'd read that article years ago. Right now I'm trying jk,
                    > > but I might try a lot of that web page's other suggestions.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > >
                    > > SteveT
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > --
                    > >
                    > > ---

                  • Steve Litt
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
                      On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:50:38 -0600
                      Benjamin Klein <ben@...> wrote:

                      > On Feb 18, 2013, at 7:52 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > Thank you!
                      >
                      > You're welcome -- glad to be of help. :) I was going to say that I
                      > borrowed that one from Steve Losh's excellent (and lengthy) "Coming
                      > Home To Vim" (http://stevelosh.com/blog/2010/09/coming-home-to-vim/),
                      > but I just looked and it seems that he uses jj instead, so I must
                      > have found that one elsewhere.
                      >
                      > I've read that jk is faster than jj -- I can't prove that, but
                      > certainly jk is very fast once you get to used to it.

                      Thanks Benjamin,

                      I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
                      slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way. The
                      jj combo is similar. But with jf, the left index finger is readying
                      itself as the right index finger strikes, so it will be faster. The
                      cool thing about the j key is it's unlikely to be followed by a
                      consonant, so I have the choice of many, many key combos.

                      I'll get back to you all when I've fully evaluated key combos.

                      Thanks

                      SteveT

                    • Grahame Blackwood
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
                        On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:

                        > from: Steve Litt <slitt@...>
                        > date: Mon, Feb 18 05:54 PM -05:00 2013
                        > to: vim_use@...
                        > reply-to: vim_use@...
                        > subject: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?
                        >
                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > I injured my left middle finger and can no longer extend it. Therefore,
                        > hitting the Esc key to get out of insert mode stops my work in its
                        > tracks.
                        >
                        > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for Esc,
                        > whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > SteveT

                        Hi Steve

                        I find ;; feels quite natural and quick.

                        Cheers

                        Grahame

                      • Chris Lott
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
                          On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:
                          > I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
                          > slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way.

                          Most who type in classical position have jk under their index and
                          middle finger, making it easy to rapidly type the two. kj would be the
                          most "natural" for me, but it occurs in just enough words to be
                          irritating...

                          Chris Lott <chris@...>

                        • darkweasel
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
                            Am 2013-02-19 21:54, schrieb Tim Chase:
                            > On 2013-02-19 11:41, Chris Lott wrote:
                            >> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Steve Litt
                            >> <slitt@...> wrote:
                            >>> I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
                            >>> slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way.
                            >>
                            >> Most who type in classical position have jk under their index and
                            >> middle finger, making it easy to rapidly type the two. kj would be
                            >> the most "natural" for me, but it occurs in just enough words to be
                            >> irritating...
                            >
                            > You type "blackjack", "lockjaw" or "Reykjavik" that often? ;-)
                            >
                            > -tim

                            There might be other languages where that combination is more common. ;)

                          • Tim Chase
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
                                On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 09:37 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:

                                > from: Steve Litt <slitt@...>
                                > date: Thu, Feb 21 04:37 PM -05:00 2013
                                > to: Grahame Blackwood <grahameblackwood@...>
                                > subject: Re: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?
                                >
                                > On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 16:41:14 +0000
                                > Grahame Blackwood <grahameblackwood@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Steve Litt
                                >> <slitt@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> > from: Steve Litt <slitt@...>
                                >> > date: Mon, Feb 18 05:54 PM -05:00 2013
                                >> > to: vim_use@...
                                >> > reply-to: vim_use@...
                                >> > subject: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?
                                >> >
                                >> > Hi all,
                                >> >
                                >> > I injured my left middle finger and can no longer extend it.
                                >> > Therefore, hitting the Esc key to get out of insert mode stops my
                                >> > work in its tracks.
                                >> >
                                >> > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for Esc,
                                >> > whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?
                                >> >
                                >> > Thanks
                                >> >
                                >> > SteveT
                                >> >
                                >> Hi Steve
                                >>
                                >> Sorry to hear about your injury and hope your finger improves soon.
                                >>
                                >> I tried replying to the vim_use list but my email hasn't shown up.
                                >>
                                >> My preferred substitute for esc is ;; as on my keyboard it falls under
                                >> my right little finger. I either hit it twice or sometimes just hold
                                >> it down until vim exits insert mode.
                                >>
                                >> Cheers

                                > Thanks Graham. I finally settled on jf, but ;; would have been pretty
                                > good too.
                                >
                                > I think I know your name from a list other than the Vim list: LyX, Lua,
                                > something like that?
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                >
                                > Steve

                                Hi Steve

                                Probably Vimoutliner or Lyx. We have also corresponded about your Umenu system
                                which I use every day, so thank you for developing it and also
                                Vimoutliner - both very useful tools.

                                Cheers