Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: vim: how to stop vim from generating ANY additional files?

Expand Messages
  • ping
    ... I understood, thanks for reminding. I won t turn them off in my daily work. but I just want to have a quick/neat way to turn them off in SOME scenarios .
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
      On 2/16/2013 10:54 PM, John Little wrote:
      > In principle, you'd want set noswf as well, but I think your approach is ... well, would "foolhardy" be acceptable? Perhaps "risky" is better. These backup and swap files protect against losing your files. One doesn't need them often, but I've been very glad on several occasions. Undo files are off by default.
      >
      > You shouldn't be getting stray swap files, it's much preferable to work out why vim is dying and fix it. Note that after vim does die, on the next restart vim warns you about the problem but is reluctant to delete the file, you may have to manually delete it.
      I understood, thanks for reminding.
      I won't turn them off in my daily work.
      but I just want to have a quick/neat way to turn them off in SOME
      scenarios .
      so my current method is to define following map

      "no additonal files
      nn ,nf <esc>:set nobackup<CR>:set noudf<CR>:set noswp<CR>

      so right after I started a new vim before I open any system config file,
      I quickly type ",nf" to turn off any additional file generations.
      >
      > Backup files are IMO better tamed using the backupdir option to put them in a central place.
      this looks good, but what if you have 2 files from different folders
      sharing the same name?

      --
      --
      You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

      ---
      You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
      For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
    • tooth pik
      ... that isn t a problem for backupdir -- it munges a swapfile name that includes the path sc -- -- You received this message from the vim_use maillist. Do
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
        On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 09:30:32AM -0500, ping wrote:
        > On 2/16/2013 10:54 PM, John Little wrote:
        > >
        > >Backup files are IMO better tamed using the backupdir option to put them in a central place.
        > this looks good, but what if you have 2 files from different folders
        > sharing the same name?

        that isn't a problem for 'backupdir' -- it munges a swapfile name that
        includes the path

        sc

        --
        --
        You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

        ---
        You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
        For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
      • ping
        really? this is cool then. I m thinking to give it a trial. thanks! regards ping ... -- -- You received this message from the vim_use maillist. Do not
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
          really? this is cool then.
          I'm thinking to give it a trial.

          thanks!
          regards
          ping

          On 2/17/2013 12:00 PM, tooth pik wrote:
          > On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 09:30:32AM -0500, ping wrote:
          >> On 2/16/2013 10:54 PM, John Little wrote:
          >>> Backup files are IMO better tamed using the backupdir option to put them in a central place.
          >> this looks good, but what if you have 2 files from different folders
          >> sharing the same name?
          > that isn't a problem for 'backupdir' -- it munges a swapfile name that
          > includes the path
          >
          > sc
          >

          --
          --
          You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

          ---
          You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
          To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
          For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
        • John Little
          ... That last word should be noswf . I presume that s a typo, or you d get an error message. Regards, John -- -- You received this message from the vim_use
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
            On Monday, February 18, 2013 3:30:32 AM UTC+13, ping wrote:
            > nn ,nf <esc>:set nobackup<CR>:set noudf<CR>:set noswp<CR>

            That last word should be "noswf".
            I presume that's a typo, or you'd get an error message.

            Regards, John

            --
            --
            You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

            ---
            You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
            To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
            For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
          • ping
            ... yes its typo, thanks! -- -- You received this message from the vim_use maillist. Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to. For
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
              On 2/17/2013 3:48 PM, John Little wrote:
              > On Monday, February 18, 2013 3:30:32 AM UTC+13, ping wrote:
              >> nn ,nf <esc>:set nobackup<CR>:set noudf<CR>:set noswp<CR>
              > That last word should be "noswf".
              > I presume that's a typo, or you'd get an error message.
              >
              > Regards, John
              >
              yes its typo, thanks!

              --
              --
              You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

              ---
              You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
              To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
              For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.