Re: Gurus - does/can Vim have a functionality resembling Info?

  • Erik Christiansen
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 17, 2013
      > On 16 Feb 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
      > > It's worth noting that Vim provides easy block shuffling without further
      > > ado. Just close a fold with zc, then cut it with dd (whatever its length
      > > in lines, it's treated as one while closed.), then paste with p
      > > somewhere else in the document. If you want to move three consecutive
      > > closed folds, use 3dd.
      > >
      > > That suffices for me, zooming multi-page multi-level nested folds around
      > > a 300+ page document - effortlessly. It has transformed my editing, and
      > > the quality of the structure of the document.

      > Interesting, but why is it better than just marking a block in Visual
      > and cutting and pasting it?

      A look back at my first post on this thread¹ shows that the top level
      folded view provided a table of contents for the whole document, while
      the closed folds in the opened "VIM:" fold provided an in-situ TOC for
      that section. Since the (potentially) pages of text in a fold is already
      presented as a line-equivalent unit, directly manipulable by simple
      familiar vim commands, it would be a backward step to open the fold and
      then begin to manually muck about constructing a matching visual block,
      to define the text which is already defined by the fold. It is less
      effort to use what is already there, neatly folded into one line.

      As mentioned in that other post, a visual block, then zf, is the easiest
      way to initially create the fold, but afterwards it need not ever be
      done again.

      Trying it out might be the best way to come to grips with what it can do
      - proof of the pudding, and all that.

      Erik

      ¹ Don't want to clutter the list with that again, if it's not needed.

      --
      The tools we use have a profound and devious influence on our thinking
      habits, and therefore on our thinking abilities.

    • Anthony Campbell
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 17, 2013
        On 17 Feb 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:

        > > Interesting, but why is it better than just marking a block in Visual
        > > and cutting and pasting it?
        >
        > A look back at my first post on this threadน shows that the top level
        > folded view provided a table of contents for the whole document, while
        > the closed folds in the opened "VIM:" fold provided an in-situ TOC for
        > that section. Since the (potentially) pages of text in a fold is already
        > presented as a line-equivalent unit, directly manipulable by simple
        > familiar vim commands, it would be a backward step to open the fold and
        > then begin to manually muck about constructing a matching visual block,
        > to define the text which is already defined by the fold. It is less
        > effort to use what is already there, neatly folded into one line.

        [snip]

        Sorry, I lost track of how this thread started. Yes, I see why folding
        is an advantage in this case, and I expect I shall use it to keep track
        of my own files that remind me of how to do things, as well as addresses
        etc.

        My last comment was relative to 'ordinary' text files, such as articles
        or books, although even there I can see a use for folding occasionally,
        e.g. for writing notes to myself and keeping track of deleted sections.
        The equivalent of marginal notes in the old days of typewriters. I don't
        know why I didn't think of that - I never found a use for folding
        previously. Thanks for making me reflect - you have probably improved my
        writing habits quite a bit.

        Anthony

        --
        Anthony Campbell - ac@...