Re: Using auto-format with LaTeX

  • Marcin Szamotulski
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2013
      Thanks (once again) for the patch!

      Here are a few ideas:

      It would be nice to end paragraph line before the match for some
      patterns. For example if you have

      lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
      lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
      lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
      \section{New Aproach}

      adding ¶='/\\section' and using d} will delete one line to
      much. But this should be only for some patters hence this will
      require that ¶ is a list of patterns with some kind of
      modifiers, or one would have to make support for multiline patterns.
      Using something like ¶='/\n\s*\\section' is not working with the
      patch.

      With the patch and ¶='/^\zs\s*$' and the following text:

      lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
      lorem ipsum lorem ipsum

      lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
      lorem ipsum lorem ipsum

      }, and { stop on the first met empty line, i.e. } will stop on the
      top one, and { on the bottom one. But I think this is not a big
      deal, though it is inconsistent with the nroff setting. Again
      recognising multiple line patterns would help. Something like:

      let ¶='/^\_s*$'

      A solution: after matching the line against the ¶ pattern and moving
      the cursor to that line use something like:
      :call search(¶, 'bc')

      Z wyrazami szacunku :)
      Marcin

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2013
        Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > Hi Marcin!
        >
        > On So, 10 Feb 2013, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
        >
        > > On 12:19 Sat 09 Feb , Zyad wrote:
        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > I'm finding the auto-format option very attractive (setl fo+=a), but I'm having trouble getting it to work nicely when editing LaTeX documents.
        > > >
        > > > More specifically, I'd like to make it aware of LaTeX keywords so that, for example, when writing the following,
        > > >
        > > > This is a paragraph that is properly
        > > > formatted to have a textwidth of 40.
        > > > 'auto-format' helps maintain it in a
        > > > formatted form, even if I edit parts of
        > > > it.
        > > > \begin{equation}
        > > > z^2 = x^2 + y^2
        > > > \end{equation
        > > >
        > > > as soon as I enter '\', the cursor moves to the previous line. Is it possible to have auto-format understand that a keyword like '\begin{' should not be considered part of the paragraph before it? I'm aware of formatoptions' 'w' flag, but it is inconvenient for me since the document is usually edited by others.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Zyad
        > >
        > > The problem is that vim the 'paragraphs' setting accepts only nroff
        > > macros. ATP (http://atp-vim.sf.net) defined a map gW which detects
        > > paragraphs and formats them - it is still not what you (and me) wanted
        > > but it a bit better.
        >
        > Personally, I have never used nroff macros and I think the 'paragraphs'
        > and 'sections' setttings are pretty useless, if you can't use regular
        > expressions.
        >
        > Does anything speak against having a special casing of the 'paragraphs'
        > and 'sections' option to use a regular expression pattern to test
        > against if it starts with a '/'?
        >
        > Attached is a toy patch.

        It's an idea. Several users have asked for a more flexible way to
        define paragraph boundaries.

        I think the help needs some more work. How is the regular expression
        used? What if a two-character part before it already matched?
        An example would be helpful.

        --
        A disclaimer for the disclaimer:
        "and before I get a huge amount of complaints , I have no control over the

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
          Hi Marcin!

          On Do, 14 Feb 2013, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

          > Thanks (once again) for the patch!
          >
          > Here are a few ideas:
          >
          > It would be nice to end paragraph line before the match for some
          > patterns. For example if you have
          >
          > lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
          > lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
          > lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
          > \section{New Aproach}
          >
          > adding ¶='/\\section' and using d} will delete one line to
          > much. But this should be only for some patters hence this will
          > require that ¶ is a list of patterns with some kind of
          > modifiers, or one would have to make support for multiline patterns.
          > Using something like ¶='/\n\s*\\section' is not working with the
          > patch.

          Oh yes, the motion is exclusive. The old patch did not allow multi-line
          patterns. I attach a new, slightly different one. Try this one.

          > With the patch and ¶='/^\zs\s*$' and the following text:
          >
          > lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
          > lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
          >

          > lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
          > lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
          >

          > }, and { stop on the first met empty line, i.e. } will stop on the
          > top one, and { on the bottom one.

          Yes, paragraph motion is a little bit more clever than I initially
          thought. Try the updated patch, but note, that the pattern /^\s*$ does
          not work as expected (see the bug report earlier today:
          https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/vim_dev/4Qzsf9CkMkE)

          The updated patch, works as expected, at least, if you go backwards with
          the pattern /^$ but not if you go forward.

          If the patch works for you and we don't find any issues I'll start
          creating test files. BTW: for documentation updates, what would you set
          the paragraphs/section options for latex? So I can document it as
          example in the help file.

          > Z wyrazami szacunku :)

          I had to look up this one. Are you Polish?

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Ich verwünsche die, die aus dem Irrtum eine eigene Welt machen
          und doch unablässig fordern, dass der Mensch nützlich sein müsse.