Re: Prevent list emails going to gmail?

  • James Freer
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
      On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Anthony Campbell <ac@...> wrote:
      > On 12 Feb 2013, James Freer wrote:
      >>
      >> I use Alpine as it's so fast. But i get over your problem by setting a
      >> filter; go to the box "doesn't have" and enter something like
      >> 'jabberwocky' (or some other unusual word) and then on the next page
      >> check 'skip inbox' - so all mail goes straight to the All Mail box. I
      >> still use gmail UI sometimes as i like the 'conversation' mode for
      >> lists like this but Alpine a lot of the time for other mail.
      >>
      >> james
      >

      > Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread - all very helpful. I set
      > up the filter successfully and everything is working as expected.
      >
      > I never heard of Alpine - I'll look into it.
      >
      > Anthony

      Mutt i found a pain to set up and TOO configurable for me. Alpine is
      also highly configurable but v.simple to set up with just an .rc file
      which can be done whilst running the program. What i like with xubuntu
      and six month releases; is that Alpine is just installed and the
      pinerc file copied over - that is it... 10 secs to set up. Even less
      for you if you want a copy of my .pinerc. That is if one uses it
      remotely...straight to the server rather than downloading headers. I
      also reckoned that Alpine was faster than Mutt. Both work well with
      vim for emails. Alpine is better imo and is a university/corporate
      mailing client. Alpine has just been updated so check on the website
      for the latest as repos probably won't have it yet.

      When one first uses a text email client it seems rather old fashioned
      but you'll soon get used to it. I found evolution and thunderbird far
      too slow for imap. Alpine user list on google and a lot of helpful
      friendly folk from UW.

      james