Re: Prevent list emails going to gmail?

  • James Freer
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
      > On 12 Feb 2013, Aaron Webster wrote:
      >> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Tony Mechelynck
      >> <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> On 12/02/13 15:27, Anthony Campbell wrote:
      >>
      >> I normally read emails from this list via mutt, but I've just found
      >> that
      >> they also go into Inbox in my gmail account. I don't want this to
      >> happen. Is there any way to prevent it?
      >>
      >> Make sure under your "inbox settings" you select "don't override filters"
      >> in the "filtered mail" settings. Otherwise these messages will always
      >> show up in your inbox.
      >> --
      >> Aaron Webster
      >
      > Thanks for that tip - I certainly wouldn't have spotted it.
      >
      > Anthony

      I use Alpine as it's so fast. But i get over your problem by setting a
      filter; go to the box "doesn't have" and enter something like
      'jabberwocky' (or some other unusual word) and then on the next page
      check 'skip inbox' - so all mail goes straight to the All Mail box. I
      still use gmail UI sometimes as i like the 'conversation' mode for
      lists like this but Alpine a lot of the time for other mail.

      james

    • Anthony Campbell
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
        On 12 Feb 2013, James Freer wrote:

        > I use Alpine as it's so fast. But i get over your problem by setting a
        > filter; go to the box "doesn't have" and enter something like
        > 'jabberwocky' (or some other unusual word) and then on the next page
        > check 'skip inbox' - so all mail goes straight to the All Mail box. I
        > still use gmail UI sometimes as i like the 'conversation' mode for
        > lists like this but Alpine a lot of the time for other mail.
        >
        > james

        Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread - all very helpful. I set
        up the filter successfully and everything is working as expected.

        I never heard of Alpine - I'll look into it.

        Anthony

        --
        Anthony Campbell - ac@...
        http://www.acampbell.org.uk

      • James Freer
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
          > On 12 Feb 2013, James Freer wrote:
          >>
          >> I use Alpine as it's so fast. But i get over your problem by setting a
          >> filter; go to the box "doesn't have" and enter something like
          >> 'jabberwocky' (or some other unusual word) and then on the next page
          >> check 'skip inbox' - so all mail goes straight to the All Mail box. I
          >> still use gmail UI sometimes as i like the 'conversation' mode for
          >> lists like this but Alpine a lot of the time for other mail.
          >>
          >> james
          >

          > Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread - all very helpful. I set
          > up the filter successfully and everything is working as expected.
          >
          > I never heard of Alpine - I'll look into it.
          >
          > Anthony

          Mutt i found a pain to set up and TOO configurable for me. Alpine is
          also highly configurable but v.simple to set up with just an .rc file
          which can be done whilst running the program. What i like with xubuntu
          and six month releases; is that Alpine is just installed and the
          pinerc file copied over - that is it... 10 secs to set up. Even less
          for you if you want a copy of my .pinerc. That is if one uses it
          remotely...straight to the server rather than downloading headers. I
          also reckoned that Alpine was faster than Mutt. Both work well with
          vim for emails. Alpine is better imo and is a university/corporate
          mailing client. Alpine has just been updated so check on the website
          for the latest as repos probably won't have it yet.

          When one first uses a text email client it seems rather old fashioned
          but you'll soon get used to it. I found evolution and thunderbird far
          too slow for imap. Alpine user list on google and a lot of helpful
          friendly folk from UW.

          james