Re: Favourite Terminal for use with vim ?

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
      Hi Ben

      Hi Everyone, thanks for your posts!

      Ben, I am planning on building a text only BSD or Linux based appliance.

      I may use R PI but I will likely use an Olimex board

      It would be nice to be able to edit files right on the little computer, thanks

    • Mats Bertil Tegner

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
          Just for the record, there is an answer on StackOverflow explaining how to enable 256-colors mode in console vim using ConEmu.
          http://stackoverflow.com/a/14434531/1405560

        • Erik Christiansen
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
            On 12.02.13 07:37, Patrick wrote:
            > Hi Everyone. I would like to switch from gvim to vim. Some terminals
            > don't seem to support syntax highlighting well. I've got rxvt-unicode
            > looking great with vim but I am wondering about other options. What is
            > your favourite terminal to run vim in?

            In more than a decade of daily use, it's never occurred to me to use
            anything other than vim and xterm. Both have met all my needs as a
            programmer and for banging out posts within mutt. I've heard of people
            preferring urxvt, but never figured out why.

            Erik
            (Who used vi before changing to vim, and credit (much like ed) before
            that, going back about a third of a century now.)

            --
            Mollison's Bureaucracy Hypothesis:
            If an idea can survive a bureaucratic review and be implemented

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 26, 2013
              On Tuesday, 12 February, 2013 at 15:37:20 GMT, Patrick wrote:
              >What is your favourite terminal to run vim in?

              Terminator. It supports tabs, multiple inside windows and customisable key bindings to move around them, UTF8, can hide the mouse cursor, and has plugins to alert upon activity or silence. The only thing is it doesn't come pre-installed (with Slackware). I'd use konsole because it supports all of the above plus its 'find' feature actually worked, but there was a titlebar bug in previous versions and I haven't tried the latest.

              --

              .

            • Tobias Klausmann
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 26, 2013
                Hi!

                On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                > programmer and for banging out posts within mutt. I've heard of people
                > preferring urxvt, but never figured out why.

                For a long time, urxvt's unicode support was multiple orders of
                magnitude better than xterm's (as in: xterm didn't have any). If
                you use more than the 26 Latin chars used in ASCII English in your
                everyday language, proper first-order support is important. Since
                you're an old fart like me: Unicode support was/is the modern
                equivalent of being 8-bit clean.

                Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which some
                people prefer for whatever reason.

                Regards,
                Tobias

                --
                Sent from aboard the Culture ship
                GCU Only Slightly Bent

              • Erik Christiansen
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1 4:23 AM
                  On 26.02.13 20:11, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
                  > On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                  > > programmer and for banging out posts within mutt. I've heard of people
                  > > preferring urxvt, but never figured out why.
                  >
                  > For a long time, urxvt's unicode support was multiple orders of
                  > magnitude better than xterm's (as in: xterm didn't have any). If
                  > you use more than the 26 Latin chars used in ASCII English in your
                  > everyday language, proper first-order support is important. Since
                  > you're an old fart like me: Unicode support was/is the modern
                  > equivalent of being 8-bit clean.

                  Many thanks for that insight, Tobias.
                  By the time I needed to move to utf-8, xterm not only had its -u8 and
                  -wc options, but seems to handle as much as I encounter, by default.

                  > Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which some
                  > people prefer for whatever reason.

                  Now that can be good to know. (I went for Debian with LXDE on my laptop,
                  to speed up booting, for example.)

                  Erik

                  --
                  We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.
                  - John Naisbitt, Megatrends

                • Tobias Klausmann
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1 2:08 PM
                    Hi!

                    On Fri, 01 Mar 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                    > On 26.02.13 20:11, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
                    > > Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which
                    > > some people prefer for whatever reason.
                    >
                    > Now that can be good to know. (I went for Debian with LXDE on
                    > my laptop, to speed up booting, for example.)

                    The thing about urxvt in this regard is mostly modularity. In the
                    configure phase, you can remove a _lot_ of stuff. Here's a
                    comparison to rxvt from the FAQ:

                    http://pod.tst.eu/http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.pod#Isn_t_rxvt_unicode_supposed_to_be_sm

                    That said, I don't agree with all of the author's notions of
                    "what a terminal needs". Then again, I can get what I want out of
                    it, so I'm a happy camper.

                    Regards,
                    Tobias

                    --
                    printk("Illegal format on cdrom. Pester manufacturer.\n");
                    linux-2.2.16/fs/isofs/inode.c

                  • joe M
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 5 7:43 AM
                      check out st, from suckless.org. simple, and works like a charm.

                      I use it with "st -e tmux".