Re: Favourite Terminal for use with vim ?

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
      On 12/02/13 16:37, Patrick wrote:
      > Hi Everyone. I would like to switch from gvim to vim. Some terminals don't seem to support syntax highlighting well. I've got rxvt-unicode looking great with vim but I am wondering about other options. What is your favourite terminal to run vim in?

      I use mostly gvim but occasionally I run Vim in console, for various
      reasons. I agree with Tim Chase's arguments in favour of gvim.

      I am on Linux. The preferences below will probably not apply on Windows,
      and only partially on Mac.

      If logged in to a text console: use that.
      If logged in to X11: I use konsole (in most cases) or mlterm (for RTL or
      bidi text).

      Additionally, in terminals with 88 or 256 colours (including konsole and
      mlterm but not the Linux text console) I use the same (or nearly the
      same) colours as in gvim, thanks to the CSApprox plugin, see
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_GUI_color_settings_in_a_terminal#Solution_2:_the_CSApprox_plugin

      A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a
      church
      service.
      [real standing law in Nebraska, United States of America]

    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
        Hi Ben

        Hi Everyone, thanks for your posts!

        Ben, I am planning on building a text only BSD or Linux based appliance.

        I may use R PI but I will likely use an Olimex board

        It would be nice to be able to edit files right on the little computer, thanks

      • Mats Bertil Tegner

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
            Just for the record, there is an answer on StackOverflow explaining how to enable 256-colors mode in console vim using ConEmu.
            http://stackoverflow.com/a/14434531/1405560

          • Erik Christiansen
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
              On 12.02.13 07:37, Patrick wrote:
              > Hi Everyone. I would like to switch from gvim to vim. Some terminals
              > don't seem to support syntax highlighting well. I've got rxvt-unicode
              > looking great with vim but I am wondering about other options. What is
              > your favourite terminal to run vim in?

              In more than a decade of daily use, it's never occurred to me to use
              anything other than vim and xterm. Both have met all my needs as a
              programmer and for banging out posts within mutt. I've heard of people
              preferring urxvt, but never figured out why.

              Erik
              (Who used vi before changing to vim, and credit (much like ed) before
              that, going back about a third of a century now.)

              --
              Mollison's Bureaucracy Hypothesis:
              If an idea can survive a bureaucratic review and be implemented

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 26, 2013
                On Tuesday, 12 February, 2013 at 15:37:20 GMT, Patrick wrote:
                >What is your favourite terminal to run vim in?

                Terminator. It supports tabs, multiple inside windows and customisable key bindings to move around them, UTF8, can hide the mouse cursor, and has plugins to alert upon activity or silence. The only thing is it doesn't come pre-installed (with Slackware). I'd use konsole because it supports all of the above plus its 'find' feature actually worked, but there was a titlebar bug in previous versions and I haven't tried the latest.

                --

                .

              • Tobias Klausmann
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 26, 2013
                  Hi!

                  On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                  > programmer and for banging out posts within mutt. I've heard of people
                  > preferring urxvt, but never figured out why.

                  For a long time, urxvt's unicode support was multiple orders of
                  magnitude better than xterm's (as in: xterm didn't have any). If
                  you use more than the 26 Latin chars used in ASCII English in your
                  everyday language, proper first-order support is important. Since
                  you're an old fart like me: Unicode support was/is the modern
                  equivalent of being 8-bit clean.

                  Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which some
                  people prefer for whatever reason.

                  Regards,
                  Tobias

                  --
                  Sent from aboard the Culture ship
                  GCU Only Slightly Bent

                • Erik Christiansen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2013
                    On 26.02.13 20:11, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
                    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                    > > programmer and for banging out posts within mutt. I've heard of people
                    > > preferring urxvt, but never figured out why.
                    >
                    > For a long time, urxvt's unicode support was multiple orders of
                    > magnitude better than xterm's (as in: xterm didn't have any). If
                    > you use more than the 26 Latin chars used in ASCII English in your
                    > everyday language, proper first-order support is important. Since
                    > you're an old fart like me: Unicode support was/is the modern
                    > equivalent of being 8-bit clean.

                    Many thanks for that insight, Tobias.
                    By the time I needed to move to utf-8, xterm not only had its -u8 and
                    -wc options, but seems to handle as much as I encounter, by default.

                    > Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which some
                    > people prefer for whatever reason.

                    Now that can be good to know. (I went for Debian with LXDE on my laptop,
                    to speed up booting, for example.)

                    Erik

                    --
                    We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.
                    - John Naisbitt, Megatrends

                  • Tobias Klausmann
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 1, 2013
                      Hi!

                      On Fri, 01 Mar 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                      > On 26.02.13 20:11, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
                      > > Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which
                      > > some people prefer for whatever reason.
                      >
                      > Now that can be good to know. (I went for Debian with LXDE on
                      > my laptop, to speed up booting, for example.)

                      The thing about urxvt in this regard is mostly modularity. In the
                      configure phase, you can remove a _lot_ of stuff. Here's a
                      comparison to rxvt from the FAQ:

                      http://pod.tst.eu/http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.pod#Isn_t_rxvt_unicode_supposed_to_be_sm

                      That said, I don't agree with all of the author's notions of
                      "what a terminal needs". Then again, I can get what I want out of
                      it, so I'm a happy camper.

                      Regards,
                      Tobias

                      --
                      printk("Illegal format on cdrom. Pester manufacturer.\n");
                      linux-2.2.16/fs/isofs/inode.c

                    • joe M
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 5, 2013
                        check out st, from suckless.org. simple, and works like a charm.

                        I use it with "st -e tmux".