Re: Favourite Terminal for use with vim ?

  • George V. Reilly
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
      On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:

      > On 2013-02-12 08:39, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > > On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:37:20 AM UTC-6, Patrick wrote:
      > > > Hi Everyone. I would like to switch from gvim to vim.
      > >
      > > I'm not criticizing your decision. But I want to know, why? Maybe
      > > I'll consider it too sometime, too; right now I have no reason at
      > > all to switch.
      >
      > My big plus for (non-g)vim is that I use it within screen/tmux
      > allowing me to uneventfully resume my session from another machine.
      > As I spend a majority of my time in a console, it's right within
      > reach.
      >
      > Gvim does offer benefits: a broader spectrum of colors for creating
      > color-schemes, fonts are easier to choose, and Unicode display tends
      > to be less of a pain (not reliant on the terminal and its settings).
      > Additionally, for those that need it, the menu & toolbars are there.
      > I tend to fly with all my 'guioptions' turned off, so it's somewhat
      > moot for me. On Win32, gvim also allows more than 80 columns with
      > less headache (cmd.exe is less than friendly when it comes to
      > changing the number of columns).
      >
      > Either way, I run both rxvt+vim (most of the time) or gvim
      > (occasionally) using Fluxbox's ability to disable all chrome, so I can
      > maximize my editing to 100% of the screen real-estate (no chrome,
      > menus, task-bar, dock, slit, etc). On Win32, I run gvim almost
      > exclusively.
      >
      > -tim

      I usually use GVim or MacVim, but occasionally I need to use Vim in a terminal

      Mac: iTerm2, http://www.iterm2.com/

      Linux: I just learned about the st terminal, but I haven't tried it.
      https://plus.google.com/111049168280159033135/posts/fMe7yuaDXKA
      The Ubuntu Terminal (gnome-terminal?) has served me well.

      Windows: recently learned about ConEmu-Maximus5, but I haven't tried it.
      http://code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/
      I avoid using vim in the stock cmd.exe window, even though I wrote
      most of the Win32 console mode code back in the mid-90s.
      --
      /George V. Reilly george@... Twitter: @georgevreilly
      http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

    • Reid Thompson
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
        On Tue, 2013-02-12 at 09:27 -0800, George V. Reilly wrote:

        > Windows: recently learned about ConEmu-Maximus5, but I haven't tried it.
        > http://code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/
        > I avoid using vim in the stock cmd.exe window, even though I wrote
        > most of the Win32 console mode code back in the mid-90s.
        > --
        > /George V. Reilly george@... Twitter: @georgevreilly
        > http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

        LINUX - primary -> urxvt ( rxvt-unicode )
        occasionally -> aterm and mrxvt ( multi-term rxvt ) and
        terminology (elightenment 17 )

        windows - primary -> mintty/cygwin
        http://code.google.com/p/mintty/
        occasionally -> console2
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/

        reid

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
          On 12/02/13 16:37, Patrick wrote:
          > Hi Everyone. I would like to switch from gvim to vim. Some terminals don't seem to support syntax highlighting well. I've got rxvt-unicode looking great with vim but I am wondering about other options. What is your favourite terminal to run vim in?

          I use mostly gvim but occasionally I run Vim in console, for various
          reasons. I agree with Tim Chase's arguments in favour of gvim.

          I am on Linux. The preferences below will probably not apply on Windows,
          and only partially on Mac.

          If logged in to a text console: use that.
          If logged in to X11: I use konsole (in most cases) or mlterm (for RTL or
          bidi text).

          Additionally, in terminals with 88 or 256 colours (including konsole and
          mlterm but not the Linux text console) I use the same (or nearly the
          same) colours as in gvim, thanks to the CSApprox plugin, see
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_GUI_color_settings_in_a_terminal#Solution_2:_the_CSApprox_plugin

          A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a
          church
          service.
          [real standing law in Nebraska, United States of America]

        • Patrick
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
            Hi Ben

            Hi Everyone, thanks for your posts!

            Ben, I am planning on building a text only BSD or Linux based appliance.

            I may use R PI but I will likely use an Olimex board

            It would be nice to be able to edit files right on the little computer, thanks

          • Mats Bertil Tegner

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
                Just for the record, there is an answer on StackOverflow explaining how to enable 256-colors mode in console vim using ConEmu.
                http://stackoverflow.com/a/14434531/1405560

              • Erik Christiansen
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
                  On 12.02.13 07:37, Patrick wrote:
                  > Hi Everyone. I would like to switch from gvim to vim. Some terminals
                  > don't seem to support syntax highlighting well. I've got rxvt-unicode
                  > looking great with vim but I am wondering about other options. What is
                  > your favourite terminal to run vim in?

                  In more than a decade of daily use, it's never occurred to me to use
                  anything other than vim and xterm. Both have met all my needs as a
                  programmer and for banging out posts within mutt. I've heard of people
                  preferring urxvt, but never figured out why.

                  Erik
                  (Who used vi before changing to vim, and credit (much like ed) before
                  that, going back about a third of a century now.)

                  --
                  Mollison's Bureaucracy Hypothesis:
                  If an idea can survive a bureaucratic review and be implemented

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 26, 2013
                    On Tuesday, 12 February, 2013 at 15:37:20 GMT, Patrick wrote:
                    >What is your favourite terminal to run vim in?

                    Terminator. It supports tabs, multiple inside windows and customisable key bindings to move around them, UTF8, can hide the mouse cursor, and has plugins to alert upon activity or silence. The only thing is it doesn't come pre-installed (with Slackware). I'd use konsole because it supports all of the above plus its 'find' feature actually worked, but there was a titlebar bug in previous versions and I haven't tried the latest.

                    --

                    .

                  • Tobias Klausmann
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 26, 2013
                      Hi!

                      On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                      > programmer and for banging out posts within mutt. I've heard of people
                      > preferring urxvt, but never figured out why.

                      For a long time, urxvt's unicode support was multiple orders of
                      magnitude better than xterm's (as in: xterm didn't have any). If
                      you use more than the 26 Latin chars used in ASCII English in your
                      everyday language, proper first-order support is important. Since
                      you're an old fart like me: Unicode support was/is the modern
                      equivalent of being 8-bit clean.

                      Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which some
                      people prefer for whatever reason.

                      Regards,
                      Tobias

                      --
                      Sent from aboard the Culture ship
                      GCU Only Slightly Bent

                    • Erik Christiansen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 1 4:23 AM
                        On 26.02.13 20:11, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
                        > On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                        > > programmer and for banging out posts within mutt. I've heard of people
                        > > preferring urxvt, but never figured out why.
                        >
                        > For a long time, urxvt's unicode support was multiple orders of
                        > magnitude better than xterm's (as in: xterm didn't have any). If
                        > you use more than the 26 Latin chars used in ASCII English in your
                        > everyday language, proper first-order support is important. Since
                        > you're an old fart like me: Unicode support was/is the modern
                        > equivalent of being 8-bit clean.

                        Many thanks for that insight, Tobias.
                        By the time I needed to move to utf-8, xterm not only had its -u8 and
                        -wc options, but seems to handle as much as I encounter, by default.

                        > Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which some
                        > people prefer for whatever reason.

                        Now that can be good to know. (I went for Debian with LXDE on my laptop,
                        to speed up booting, for example.)

                        Erik

                        --
                        We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.
                        - John Naisbitt, Megatrends

                      • Tobias Klausmann
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 1 2:08 PM
                          Hi!

                          On Fri, 01 Mar 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                          > On 26.02.13 20:11, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
                          > > Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which
                          > > some people prefer for whatever reason.
                          >
                          > Now that can be good to know. (I went for Debian with LXDE on
                          > my laptop, to speed up booting, for example.)

                          The thing about urxvt in this regard is mostly modularity. In the
                          configure phase, you can remove a _lot_ of stuff. Here's a
                          comparison to rxvt from the FAQ:

                          http://pod.tst.eu/http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.pod#Isn_t_rxvt_unicode_supposed_to_be_sm

                          That said, I don't agree with all of the author's notions of
                          "what a terminal needs". Then again, I can get what I want out of
                          it, so I'm a happy camper.

                          Regards,
                          Tobias

                          --
                          printk("Illegal format on cdrom. Pester manufacturer.\n");
                          linux-2.2.16/fs/isofs/inode.c

                        • joe M
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 5 7:43 AM
                            check out st, from suckless.org. simple, and works like a charm.

                            I use it with "st -e tmux".