Prevent list emails going to gmail?

  • Anthony Campbell
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
      I normally read emails from this list via mutt, but I've just found that
      they also go into Inbox in my gmail account. I don't want this to
      happen. Is there any way to prevent it?

      AC

      --
      Anthony Campbell - ac@...
      http://www.acampbell.org.uk

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
        On 14:27 Tue 12 Feb , Anthony Campbell wrote:
        > I normally read emails from this list via mutt, but I've just found that
        > they also go into Inbox in my gmail account. I don't want this to
        > happen. Is there any way to prevent it?
        >

        > AC

        Dear Anthony,

        Gmail has filters which you can use to apply a label (or possibly even
        delete a message). I also use mutt via gmail and I store list email in
        my gmail account but not in my inbox/send box - but I should reconfigure
        it to delete them, since it is just waste of resources ...

        Best regards,
        Marcin

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
          On 12/02/13 15:27, Anthony Campbell wrote:
          > I normally read emails from this list via mutt, but I've just found that
          > they also go into Inbox in my gmail account. I don't want this to
          > happen. Is there any way to prevent it?
          >

          > AC

          Not if you want Gmail to read your ac@... account. And not
          you want it to remain so), or your Google Groups account to the vim_use
          Google Group (and you want, etc.). Or else, change the way you told
          Google to handle your incoming mail.

          "Don't say yes until I finish talking."
          -- Darryl F. Zanuck

        • Aaron Webster
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
            On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
            On 12/02/13 15:27, Anthony Campbell wrote:
            I normally read emails from this list via mutt, but I've just found that
            they also go into Inbox in my gmail account. I don't want this to
            happen. Is there any way to prevent it?

            Make sure under your "inbox settings" you select "don't override filters" in the "filtered mail" settings.  Otherwise these messages will always show up in your inbox.

            --
            Aaron Webster

          • Anthony Campbell
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
              On 12 Feb 2013, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
              > On 14:27 Tue 12 Feb , Anthony Campbell wrote:
              > > I normally read emails from this list via mutt, but I've just found that
              > > they also go into Inbox in my gmail account. I don't want this to
              > > happen. Is there any way to prevent it?
              > >

              > > AC
              >
              > Dear Anthony,
              >
              > Gmail has filters which you can use to apply a label (or possibly even
              > delete a message). I also use mutt via gmail and I store list email in
              > my gmail account but not in my inbox/send box - but I should reconfigure
              > it to delete them, since it is just waste of resources ...
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Marcin

              Thanks for this - I hardly ever use gmail so I'm not familiar with its
              filtration scheme, but I'll try it out.

              Best wishes,

              Anthony

              --
              Anthony Campbell - ac@...
              http://www.acampbell.org.uk
              http://www.reviewbooks.org.uk
              http://www.skepticviews.org.uk
              http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk
              http://www.smashwords.com/profile.view/acampbell
              https://itunes.apple.com/ca/artist/anthony-campbell/id73235412

            • Tim Chase
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
                On 2013-02-12 15:10, Anthony Campbell wrote:
                > Thanks for this - I hardly ever use gmail so I'm not familiar with
                > its filtration scheme, but I'll try it out.

                If it helps, I believe Gmail also allows you to use your username
                followed by a "+", followed by additional text in your email address
                such as "example+vimlist@..." for filtering purposes. I don't
                know how it interplays with their list-subscription stuff, but it's
                useful if you need it. I whitelist my main account ID, allowing only
                people with whom I've previously corresponded to send to that;
                everything else coming to that gets marked as junk. I then use the
                "+" extensions for all my mailing lists and web-forms to ensure that
                I can filter them accordingly, or cut them off at any time if they
                abuse it.

                -tim

              • Anthony Campbell
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
                  On 12 Feb 2013, Aaron Webster wrote:
                  > On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                  > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > On 12/02/13 15:27, Anthony Campbell wrote:
                  >
                  > I normally read emails from this list via mutt, but I've just found
                  > that
                  > they also go into Inbox in my gmail account. I don't want this to
                  > happen. Is there any way to prevent it?
                  >
                  > Make sure under your "inbox settings" you select "don't override filters"
                  > in the "filtered mail" settings. Otherwise these messages will always
                  > show up in your inbox.
                  > --
                  > Aaron Webster

                  Thanks for that tip - I certainly wouldn't have spotted it.

                  Anthony

                  --
                  Anthony Campbell - ac@...
                  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
                  http://www.reviewbooks.org.uk
                  http://www.skepticviews.org.uk
                  http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk
                  http://www.smashwords.com/profile.view/acampbell
                  https://itunes.apple.com/ca/artist/anthony-campbell/id73235412

                • James Freer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
                    > On 12 Feb 2013, Aaron Webster wrote:
                    >> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                    >> <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> On 12/02/13 15:27, Anthony Campbell wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I normally read emails from this list via mutt, but I've just found
                    >> that
                    >> they also go into Inbox in my gmail account. I don't want this to
                    >> happen. Is there any way to prevent it?
                    >>
                    >> Make sure under your "inbox settings" you select "don't override filters"
                    >> in the "filtered mail" settings. Otherwise these messages will always
                    >> show up in your inbox.
                    >> --
                    >> Aaron Webster
                    >
                    > Thanks for that tip - I certainly wouldn't have spotted it.
                    >
                    > Anthony

                    I use Alpine as it's so fast. But i get over your problem by setting a
                    filter; go to the box "doesn't have" and enter something like
                    'jabberwocky' (or some other unusual word) and then on the next page
                    check 'skip inbox' - so all mail goes straight to the All Mail box. I
                    still use gmail UI sometimes as i like the 'conversation' mode for
                    lists like this but Alpine a lot of the time for other mail.

                    james

                  • Anthony Campbell
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
                      On 12 Feb 2013, James Freer wrote:

                      > I use Alpine as it's so fast. But i get over your problem by setting a
                      > filter; go to the box "doesn't have" and enter something like
                      > 'jabberwocky' (or some other unusual word) and then on the next page
                      > check 'skip inbox' - so all mail goes straight to the All Mail box. I
                      > still use gmail UI sometimes as i like the 'conversation' mode for
                      > lists like this but Alpine a lot of the time for other mail.
                      >
                      > james

                      Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread - all very helpful. I set
                      up the filter successfully and everything is working as expected.

                      I never heard of Alpine - I'll look into it.

                      Anthony

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
                        > On 12 Feb 2013, James Freer wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I use Alpine as it's so fast. But i get over your problem by setting a
                        >> filter; go to the box "doesn't have" and enter something like
                        >> 'jabberwocky' (or some other unusual word) and then on the next page
                        >> check 'skip inbox' - so all mail goes straight to the All Mail box. I
                        >> still use gmail UI sometimes as i like the 'conversation' mode for
                        >> lists like this but Alpine a lot of the time for other mail.
                        >>
                        >> james
                        >

                        > Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread - all very helpful. I set
                        > up the filter successfully and everything is working as expected.
                        >
                        > I never heard of Alpine - I'll look into it.
                        >
                        > Anthony

                        Mutt i found a pain to set up and TOO configurable for me. Alpine is
                        also highly configurable but v.simple to set up with just an .rc file
                        which can be done whilst running the program. What i like with xubuntu
                        and six month releases; is that Alpine is just installed and the
                        pinerc file copied over - that is it... 10 secs to set up. Even less
                        for you if you want a copy of my .pinerc. That is if one uses it
                        remotely...straight to the server rather than downloading headers. I
                        also reckoned that Alpine was faster than Mutt. Both work well with
                        vim for emails. Alpine is better imo and is a university/corporate
                        mailing client. Alpine has just been updated so check on the website
                        for the latest as repos probably won't have it yet.

                        When one first uses a text email client it seems rather old fashioned
                        but you'll soon get used to it. I found evolution and thunderbird far
                        too slow for imap. Alpine user list on google and a lot of helpful
                        friendly folk from UW.

                        james