Re: vim: display â<80><99>

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10, 2013
      On 10/02/13 19:11, Dominique Pellé wrote:
      > ping <songpingemail@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I've copied and pasted an article from web page and it looks I got a lot of
      >> following:
      >>
      >> â<80><99>
      >>
      >> so essentially it should be just a ' character, for example:
      >>
      >> If youâ<80><99>ve
      >>
      >> is there a way to get them displayed/processed well?
      >>
      >> thanks!
      >> regards
      >> ping
      >

      > I have the same problem. When I copy paste text
      > from Firefox into Vim running in a terminal (xfce or
      > xterm at least), I get garbage for diacritics. If I do
      > the same in GVim (gtk2), it works fine.
      >
      > Yet my settings in GVim and Vim (terminal) are
      > identical:
      >
      > :set encoding?
      > encoding=utf-8
      >
      > :set fileencoding?
      > fileencoding=
      >
      > :set fileencodings=?
      > fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1
      >
      > I'm not 100% sure, but I think it used to work fine
      > a long time ago.
      >
      > Example to reproduce:
      >
      > 1) go to http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim in Firefox
      >
      > 2) select with the mouse the first sentence in
      > Firefox which says:
      > "Vim est un éditeur de texte, c’est-à-dire un
      > logiciel permettant la manipulation de fichiers texte."
      >
      > 3) Paste in Vim (terminal) using the mouse (middle
      > click on Linux)
      >
      > 4) observe that it pastes:
      >
      > Vim est un <e9>diteur de texte, c\u2019est-<e0>-dire un logiciel
      > permettant la manipulation de fichiers texte.
      >
      > 5) Do the same with gvim (gtk2) and observe that
      > there is no bug in Gvim
      >
      > I also tried with the Chromium browser (same result).
      >
      > The problem has to do with copy paste which loses
      > the character encoding I think and somehow makes
      > assumes the wrong encoding when pasting.
      >
      > Typing Unicode characters works fine in terminal.
      > Copy paste from gvim into Vim (terminal) works fine.
      >
      > I'm using vim-7.3.806 on xubuntu-12.10, Linux x86_64.
      >
      > Dominique

      With me it pastes correctly at step 2; however my system locale in bash
      (and therefore in the terminal) is en_US.UTF-8 (most specifically,
      LC_CTYPE is unset but LANG is set to that value), so the konsole
      terminal and Vim both know that strings are pasted in UTF-8. I also make
      sure that 'encoding' is UTF-8 in my vimrc, more or less as described in
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode

      Specifically, the line pasted in Console Vim is as follows:
      Vim est un éditeur de texte, c’est-à-dire un logiciel permettant la
      manipulation de fichiers texte.

      I'm using vim 7.3.806 (own-compiled from Bram's sources), Huge build
      running either in GUI or Console mode (for this test, as "vim" in a
      console terminal), running on openSUSE 12.1 x86_64. The Vim build is
      also 64-bit, as can be seen from the link log, where I get warning
      messages starting with "skipping incompatible" for 32-bit libraries in
      /usr/lib/

      Justice, n.:
      A decision in your favor.

    • Dominique Pellé
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2013
        Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

        > On 10/02/13 19:11, Dominique Pellé wrote:
        >>
        >> ping <songpingemail@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> I've copied and pasted an article from web page and it looks I got a lot
        >>> of
        >>> following:
        >>>
        >>> â<80><99>
        >>>
        >>> so essentially it should be just a ' character, for example:
        >>>
        >>> If youâ<80><99>ve
        >>>
        >>> is there a way to get them displayed/processed well?
        >>>
        >>> thanks!
        >>> regards
        >>> ping
        >>

        >> I have the same problem. When I copy paste text
        >> from Firefox into Vim running in a terminal (xfce or
        >> xterm at least), I get garbage for diacritics. If I do
        >> the same in GVim (gtk2), it works fine.
        >>
        >> Yet my settings in GVim and Vim (terminal) are
        >> identical:
        >>
        >> :set encoding?
        >> encoding=utf-8
        >>
        >> :set fileencoding?
        >> fileencoding=
        >>
        >> :set fileencodings=?
        >> fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1
        >>
        >> I'm not 100% sure, but I think it used to work fine
        >> a long time ago.
        >>
        >> Example to reproduce:
        >>
        >> 1) go to http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim in Firefox
        >>
        >> 2) select with the mouse the first sentence in
        >> Firefox which says:
        >> "Vim est un éditeur de texte, c’est-à-dire un
        >> logiciel permettant la manipulation de fichiers texte."
        >>
        >> 3) Paste in Vim (terminal) using the mouse (middle
        >> click on Linux)
        >>
        >> 4) observe that it pastes:
        >>
        >> Vim est un <e9>diteur de texte, c\u2019est-<e0>-dire un logiciel
        >> permettant la manipulation de fichiers texte.
        >>
        >> 5) Do the same with gvim (gtk2) and observe that
        >> there is no bug in Gvim
        >>
        >> I also tried with the Chromium browser (same result).
        >>
        >> The problem has to do with copy paste which loses
        >> the character encoding I think and somehow makes
        >> assumes the wrong encoding when pasting.
        >>
        >> Typing Unicode characters works fine in terminal.
        >> Copy paste from gvim into Vim (terminal) works fine.
        >>
        >> I'm using vim-7.3.806 on xubuntu-12.10, Linux x86_64.
        >>
        >> Dominique
        >>

        > With me it pastes correctly at step 2; however my system locale in bash (and
        > therefore in the terminal) is en_US.UTF-8 (most specifically, LC_CTYPE is
        > unset but LANG is set to that value), so the konsole terminal and Vim both

        I use this locale:

        $ locale
        LANG=eo.UTF-8
        LANGUAGE=eo:en_US:en
        LC_CTYPE="eo.UTF-8"
        LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_COLLATE="eo.UTF-8"
        LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_MESSAGES="eo.UTF-8"
        LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_ALL=

        But if I do "export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8"
        before starting Vim, then it works!

        So something is broken with the eo.UTF-8 locale
        somehow (using xubuntu-12.10).

        But what is strange is that the bug only affects Vim.
        Trying to paste diacritics in the shell works. It also
        works fine with other text editors in the terminal. I tried
        nano and emacs in terminal where it pasting worked
        without problem even when using the eo.UTF-8 locale.

        Regards
        Dominique

      • Dominique Pellé
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2013
          Dominique Pellé wrote:

          > Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

          >>> I have the same problem. When I copy paste text
          >>> from Firefox into Vim running in a terminal (xfce or
          >>> xterm at least), I get garbage for diacritics. If I do
          >>> the same in GVim (gtk2), it works fine.
          >>>
          >>> Yet my settings in GVim and Vim (terminal) are
          >>> identical:
          >>>
          >>> :set encoding?
          >>> encoding=utf-8
          >>>
          >>> :set fileencoding?
          >>> fileencoding=
          >>>
          >>> :set fileencodings=?
          >>> fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1
          >>>
          >>> I'm not 100% sure, but I think it used to work fine
          >>> a long time ago.
          >>>
          >>> Example to reproduce:
          >>>
          >>> 1) go to http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim in Firefox
          >>>
          >>> 2) select with the mouse the first sentence in
          >>> Firefox which says:
          >>> "Vim est un éditeur de texte, c’est-à-dire un
          >>> logiciel permettant la manipulation de fichiers texte."
          >>>
          >>> 3) Paste in Vim (terminal) using the mouse (middle
          >>> click on Linux)
          >>>
          >>> 4) observe that it pastes:
          >>>
          >>> Vim est un <e9>diteur de texte, c\u2019est-<e0>-dire un logiciel
          >>> permettant la manipulation de fichiers texte.
          >>>
          >>> 5) Do the same with gvim (gtk2) and observe that
          >>> there is no bug in Gvim
          >>>
          >>> I also tried with the Chromium browser (same result).
          >>>
          >>> The problem has to do with copy paste which loses
          >>> the character encoding I think and somehow makes
          >>> assumes the wrong encoding when pasting.
          >>>
          >>> Typing Unicode characters works fine in terminal.
          >>> Copy paste from gvim into Vim (terminal) works fine.
          >>>
          >>> I'm using vim-7.3.806 on xubuntu-12.10, Linux x86_64.
          >>>
          >>> Dominique
          >>>

          >> With me it pastes correctly at step 2; however my system locale in bash (and
          >> therefore in the terminal) is en_US.UTF-8 (most specifically, LC_CTYPE is
          >> unset but LANG is set to that value), so the konsole terminal and Vim both
          >

          > I use this locale:
          >
          > $ locale
          > LANG=eo.UTF-8
          > LANGUAGE=eo:en_US:en
          > LC_CTYPE="eo.UTF-8"
          > LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
          > LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
          > LC_COLLATE="eo.UTF-8"
          > LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
          > LC_MESSAGES="eo.UTF-8"
          > LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
          > LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
          > LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
          > LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
          > LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
          > LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
          > LC_ALL=
          >

          > But if I do "export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8"
          > before starting Vim, then it works!
          >
          > So something is broken with the eo.UTF-8 locale
          > somehow (using xubuntu-12.10).
          >
          > But what is strange is that the bug only affects Vim.
          > Trying to paste diacritics in the shell works. It also
          > works fine with other text editors in the terminal. I tried
          > nano and emacs in terminal where it pasting worked
          > without problem even when using the eo.UTF-8 locale.

          Additional information: I just found that pasting by selecting
          text in Firefox and dragging the selection into Vim (terminal)
          works, whereas pasting with middle click does not work
          (garbage for diacritics when using eo.UTF-8 locale i.e.
          esperanto locale). At least I have now a workaround
          without having to change my locale to en_US.UTF-8.

          Regards
          Dominique