Re: Script to send selected text from Vim to R in Ubuntu

  • tooth pik
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2013
      On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 08:45:10AM -0800, Josef Montag wrote:
      > Hi all,

      > I have started using Ubuntu and try to figure out ways and tools for
      > a simple script. I use Vim to write code for R and need a script
      > that takes a selection in Vim and sends it to R and have this script
      > attached to a key combination. I'm not sure whether this could all
      > be done in Vimscript or I should look elsewhere.

      the simplest way to filter text through an external filter is to
      execute:

      :[range]!{scriptname}

      where {scriptname} is written to receive its input on sysin -- all of
      [range] in your text will be replaced with the output from
      {scriptname}

      this gives you the flexibility to write {scriptname} in whatever
      language pleases you, as fancy or as simple as need requires

      sc

    • Josef Montag
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
        On Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:54:26 AM UTC+1, toothpik wrote:
        > On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 08:45:10AM -0800, Josef Montag wrote:
        >
        > > Hi all,
        >

        > > I have started using Ubuntu and try to figure out ways and tools for
        >
        > > a simple script. I use Vim to write code for R and need a script
        >
        > > that takes a selection in Vim and sends it to R and have this script
        >
        > > attached to a key combination. I'm not sure whether this could all
        >
        > > be done in Vimscript or I should look elsewhere.
        >

        > the simplest way to filter text through an external filter is to
        >
        > execute:
        >

        > :[range]!{scriptname}
        >

        > where {scriptname} is written to receive its input on sysin -- all of
        >
        > [range] in your text will be replaced with the output from
        >
        > {scriptname}
        >

        > this gives you the flexibility to write {scriptname} in whatever
        >
        > language pleases you, as fancy or as simple as need requires
        >

        > sc

        Thanks a lot to you all guys. This got me started. Enjoy your weekends. J.