Re: A plugin that works like Hyperlink Helper from TextMate?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
      On 06/02/13 23:11, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > TextMate has a bundle that is called Hyperlink Helper. Its function is
      > that I can highlight a passage of text and then either via a command
      > make a link out of it with the content of the clipboard as URL or that
      > the passage is searched via google, wikipedia or yahoo and an
      > appropriate link is created. The interesting thing is that the style of
      > the link depends on the set syntax. Thus when I use the bundle with a
      > Markdown-file the link becomes a Markdown-link, if I use it in an
      > HTML-file a link in the format of HTML created.
      > Does anybody know if there's a plug-in for vim that has a similar
      > functionality?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Niels

      Hm, AFAIK, there isn't, but it is certainly possible. To build this
      functionality, you would need to add a global plugin parameterized with
      a buffer-local variable defining how to build a link, and then set that
      variable, probably in the various filetype-plugins for file types where
      links are possible. Something similar in concept to the matchit plugin,
      which has a b:match_words variable which is set by the filetype-plugins
      for some filetypes.

      "The C Programming Language -- A language which combines the
      flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language."

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
        On Wed, February 6, 2013 23:11, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > TextMate has a bundle that is called Hyperlink Helper. Its function is
        > that I can highlight a passage of text and then either via a command
        > make a link out of it with the content of the clipboard as URL or that
        > the passage is searched via google, wikipedia or yahoo and an
        > appropriate link is created. The interesting thing is that the style of
        > the link depends on the set syntax. Thus when I use the bundle with a
        > Markdown-file the link becomes a Markdown-link, if I use it in an
        > HTML-file a link in the format of HTML created.
        > Does anybody know if there's a plug-in for vim that has a similar
        > functionality?
        >
        > Thanks,

        You could try the utl plugin

        regards,
        Christian

      • Niels Kobschätzki
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
          On Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 0:08, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > On 06/02/13 23:11, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > TextMate has a bundle that is called Hyperlink Helper. Its function is
          > > that I can highlight a passage of text and then either via a command
          > > make a link out of it with the content of the clipboard as URL or that
          > > the passage is searched via google, wikipedia or yahoo and an
          > > appropriate link is created. The interesting thing is that the style of
          > > the link depends on the set syntax. Thus when I use the bundle with a
          > > Markdown-file the link becomes a Markdown-link, if I use it in an
          > > HTML-file a link in the format of HTML created.
          > > Does anybody know if there's a plug-in for vim that has a similar
          > > functionality?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Niels
          > >

          > Hm, AFAIK, there isn't, but it is certainly possible. To build this
          > functionality, you would need to add a global plugin parameterized with
          > a buffer-local variable defining how to build a link, and then set that
          > variable, probably in the various filetype-plugins for file types where
          > links are possible. Something similar in concept to the matchit plugin,
          > which has a b:match_words variable which is set by the filetype-plugins
          > for some filetypes.

          hm…ok…so it is doable but it sounds kind of complex…

          Thanks,

          Niels

        • Niels Kobschätzki
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
            On Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 7:32, Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > On Wed, February 6, 2013 23:11, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > TextMate has a bundle that is called Hyperlink Helper. Its function is
            > > that I can highlight a passage of text and then either via a command
            > > make a link out of it with the content of the clipboard as URL or that
            > > the passage is searched via google, wikipedia or yahoo and an
            > > appropriate link is created. The interesting thing is that the style of
            > > the link depends on the set syntax. Thus when I use the bundle with a
            > > Markdown-file the link becomes a Markdown-link, if I use it in an
            > > HTML-file a link in the format of HTML created.
            > > Does anybody know if there's a plug-in for vim that has a similar
            > > functionality?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            >
            > You could try the utl plugin

            If I read that correctly that plug-in is actually for enabling links in
            plain-text to work and not add all like the functionality I was
            describing.

            Thanks,

            Niels