A plugin that works like Hyperlink Helper from TextMate?

  • Niels Kobschätzki
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013

      TextMate has a bundle that is called Hyperlink Helper. Its function is
      that I can highlight a passage of text and then either via a command
      make a link out of it with the content of the clipboard as URL or that
      the passage is searched via google, wikipedia or yahoo and an
      appropriate link is created. The interesting thing is that the style of
      the link depends on the set syntax. Thus when I use the bundle with a
      Markdown-file the link becomes a Markdown-link, if I use it in an
      HTML-file a link in the format of HTML created.
      Does anybody know if there's a plug-in for vim that has a similar
      functionality?

      Thanks,

      Niels

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
        On 06/02/13 23:11, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > TextMate has a bundle that is called Hyperlink Helper. Its function is
        > that I can highlight a passage of text and then either via a command
        > make a link out of it with the content of the clipboard as URL or that
        > the passage is searched via google, wikipedia or yahoo and an
        > appropriate link is created. The interesting thing is that the style of
        > the link depends on the set syntax. Thus when I use the bundle with a
        > Markdown-file the link becomes a Markdown-link, if I use it in an
        > HTML-file a link in the format of HTML created.
        > Does anybody know if there's a plug-in for vim that has a similar
        > functionality?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Niels

        Hm, AFAIK, there isn't, but it is certainly possible. To build this
        functionality, you would need to add a global plugin parameterized with
        a buffer-local variable defining how to build a link, and then set that
        variable, probably in the various filetype-plugins for file types where
        links are possible. Something similar in concept to the matchit plugin,
        which has a b:match_words variable which is set by the filetype-plugins
        for some filetypes.

        "The C Programming Language -- A language which combines the
        flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language."

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
          On Wed, February 6, 2013 23:11, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > TextMate has a bundle that is called Hyperlink Helper. Its function is
          > that I can highlight a passage of text and then either via a command
          > make a link out of it with the content of the clipboard as URL or that
          > the passage is searched via google, wikipedia or yahoo and an
          > appropriate link is created. The interesting thing is that the style of
          > the link depends on the set syntax. Thus when I use the bundle with a
          > Markdown-file the link becomes a Markdown-link, if I use it in an
          > HTML-file a link in the format of HTML created.
          > Does anybody know if there's a plug-in for vim that has a similar
          > functionality?
          >
          > Thanks,

          You could try the utl plugin

          regards,
          Christian

        • Niels Kobschätzki
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
            On Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 0:08, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            > On 06/02/13 23:11, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > TextMate has a bundle that is called Hyperlink Helper. Its function is
            > > that I can highlight a passage of text and then either via a command
            > > make a link out of it with the content of the clipboard as URL or that
            > > the passage is searched via google, wikipedia or yahoo and an
            > > appropriate link is created. The interesting thing is that the style of
            > > the link depends on the set syntax. Thus when I use the bundle with a
            > > Markdown-file the link becomes a Markdown-link, if I use it in an
            > > HTML-file a link in the format of HTML created.
            > > Does anybody know if there's a plug-in for vim that has a similar
            > > functionality?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Niels
            > >

            > Hm, AFAIK, there isn't, but it is certainly possible. To build this
            > functionality, you would need to add a global plugin parameterized with
            > a buffer-local variable defining how to build a link, and then set that
            > variable, probably in the various filetype-plugins for file types where
            > links are possible. Something similar in concept to the matchit plugin,
            > which has a b:match_words variable which is set by the filetype-plugins
            > for some filetypes.

            hm…ok…so it is doable but it sounds kind of complex…

            Thanks,

            Niels

          • Niels Kobschätzki
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
              On Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 7:32, Christian Brabandt wrote:
              > On Wed, February 6, 2013 23:11, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > TextMate has a bundle that is called Hyperlink Helper. Its function is
              > > that I can highlight a passage of text and then either via a command
              > > make a link out of it with the content of the clipboard as URL or that
              > > the passage is searched via google, wikipedia or yahoo and an
              > > appropriate link is created. The interesting thing is that the style of
              > > the link depends on the set syntax. Thus when I use the bundle with a
              > > Markdown-file the link becomes a Markdown-link, if I use it in an
              > > HTML-file a link in the format of HTML created.
              > > Does anybody know if there's a plug-in for vim that has a similar
              > > functionality?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              >
              > You could try the utl plugin

              If I read that correctly that plug-in is actually for enabling links in
              plain-text to work and not add all like the functionality I was
              describing.

              Thanks,

              Niels