Three questions...

  • Aggelos Kolaitis
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
      I'm using vim 7.3 under linux using the console window (gnome-terminal).

      Is it possible to these things??
      1). Open the help window in the current window.
      Typing in :help xxxxx will open a new window. This, apart from visually distracting with my colorscheme, requires me to do an Ctrl-W o to close my other windows. How can I make it to open in my current window, or at least in a new tab??
      2). Open links using lynx.
      While browsing the help, I sometimes encounter www links that I have to manually access from firefox or any other browser. Can I open them using lynx right inside vim??

      Any help will be highly appreciated

    • Marco
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
        On 2013–02–05 Aggelos Kolaitis wrote:

        > 1). Open the help window in the current window.

        :h foo | only

        > or at least in a new tab??

        :tab h foo

        Marco
      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
          Aggelos Kolaitis wrote:
          > I'm using vim 7.3 under linux using the console window (gnome-terminal).
          >
          > Is it possible to these things??
          > 1). Open the help window in the current window.
          > Typing in :help xxxxx will open a new window. This, apart from visually distracting with my colorscheme, requires me to do an Ctrl-W o to close my other windows. How can I make it to open in my current window, or at least in a new tab??
          > 2). Open links using lynx.
          > While browsing the help, I sometimes encounter www links that I have to manually access from firefox or any other browser. Can I open them using lynx right inside vim??
          >
          > Any help will be highly appreciated

          1) Manpageview will do this (use :RMan) (and it supports help for perl,
          linux man pages, python, latex, info, as well as vim)

          http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#MANPAGEVIEW

          2) I haven't tried it myself, but perhaps
          http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=293 (utl.vim) will do this

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell

        • Marcin Szamotulski
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
            On 10:03 Tue 05 Feb , Charles Campbell wrote:
            > Aggelos Kolaitis wrote:
            > > I'm using vim 7.3 under linux using the console window (gnome-terminal).
            > >
            > > Is it possible to these things??
            > > 1). Open the help window in the current window.
            > > Typing in :help xxxxx will open a new window. This, apart from visually distracting with my colorscheme, requires me to do an Ctrl-W o to close my other windows. How can I make it to open in my current window, or at least in a new tab??
            > > 2). Open links using lynx.
            > > While browsing the help, I sometimes encounter www links that I have to manually access from firefox or any other browser. Can I open them using lynx right inside vim??
            > >
            > > Any help will be highly appreciated
            > >
            > 1) Manpageview will do this (use :RMan) (and it supports help for perl,
            > linux man pages, python, latex, info, as well as vim)
            >
            > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#MANPAGEVIEW
            >
            > 2) I haven't tried it myself, but perhaps
            > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=293 (utl.vim) will do this
            >
            > Regards,
            > Chip Campbell

            > ---

            We should also mention CTRL-W_CTRL-O, and even better the ZoomWin plugin
            (of Charles Campbell, too)

            Best,
            Marcin

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
              On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 14:21:43 +0100, Marco wrote:
              > On 2013–02–05 Aggelos Kolaitis wrote:
              >
              > > 1). Open the help window in the current window.
              >
              > :h foo | only

              This isn't quite the same behavior if there are other windows open
              (window A, and window B, with focus on window A; it will close window
              B too). However, this alternative functionality might be usefully
              when that behavior *is* what the OP wants :-)

              Aggels wrote:
              > 2). Open links using lynx.
              > While browsing the help, I sometimes encounter www links that
              > I have to manually access from firefox or any other browser. Can I
              > open them using lynx right inside vim??

              You could use something like

              :let url=expand('<cword>')|tabnew|exec 'r! lynx -dump '.url

              You might have to do something to properly capture the URL (rather
              than using the blunt-force "<cword>" expansion), and you might need
              to escape certain characters in the URL before dumping it into a
              command-line. But otherwise, the basics are in there and can be
              mapped if needed.

              -tim