Re: Leaving a space in list lcs

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
      On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Gary Furash <furashgary@...> wrote:
      I'd like to do the following in my VIMRC

        set list lcs=tab:\|\

      where the last character of above is an escaped space "\ ". However, I also trip trailing spaces using the %s/ commands automatically, which is valid except for this line in my VIMRC. SET does not seem to like x='some string with a space '. How do I fix this?

      In this case, there is an easy work-around:

      :set lcs=tab:\|\  list

      (where I have added a space after the escaped space).  A more robust solution is to use :let as in

      :set list
      :let &lcs = 'tab:| '
      :help :let-option

      HTH      --Benji Fisher

    • Gary Furash
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
        Thank you to both of you. It's not intuitively obvious that the set statements are actually variable settings, which simplifies this problem.