Re: New vs split

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
      On Monday, February 4, 2013 9:48:40 AM UTC-6, vtadipatri wrote:
      > Is there a difference between new and split? If they're the same, is
      >
      > one considered more 'standard'? Or if they're different, when would
      >
      > you use one versus the other? I think both have vertical equivalents
      >
      > right (vnew and vsplit)?

      I *think* the only difference is when you don't specify a file name, :new and :vnew give you an empty buffer, but :split and :vsplit use the current buffer.

      I'm not 100% certain on that however.

      :help :split_f is the entry for both :split and :new commands, so probably this is the case.

      I normally use :new or :e when creating a new file and :sp or CTRL-W_S to create new splits on an existing buffer, but I don't *need* to do it that way.