Re: VIM loses syntax highlighting when using split command

  • alijaan
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 3, 2013
      Thanks Christian

      Yeah its wroking fine

      On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
      Hi alijohnshaik!
      (redirecting to vim_use)

      On Sa, 02 Feb 2013, alijohnshaik@... wrote:

      > <quote author='Christian Brabandt'>
      > Hi naaj_ila!
      >
      > On Fr, 01 Feb 2013, naaj_ila wrote:
      >
      > > Its working fine
      > > i added these things in ~/.vim/syntax/filetype.vim
      >
      > This looks totally wrong.
      > >
      > > augroup filetypedetect
      > > au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.v so ~/.vim/syntax/verilog.vim
      > > augroup END
      >
      > I am wondering, why do you need this? Vim should automatically detect
      > *.v files as verilog files? Does yours not?
      >
      > Try this: vim -u NONE -N file.v
      >
      > What does Vim tell you, after entering:
      >
      > :filetype detect
      > :set ft?
      > --------------------------------------
      > Its coming like this  after executing the command
      > filetype =
      > -----------------------------------

      Interesting. Your vim does not by default detect verilog files. What vim
      version is this?

      To make vim recognize .v files as verilog filetypes, put the following
      into your .vimrc:
      filetype plugin on

      Now create a file called ~/.vim/ftdetect/verilog.vim (create
      non-existing directories) and put in that file:
      ,----
      | au BufRead,BufNewFile *.v set filetype=verilog
      `----

      and then place your verilog.vim syntax file into
      ~/.vim/syntax/ (again, creating non-existent directories).
      (and make sure, your .vimrc contains:
      :syntax on

      See also the help at :h new-filetype and have a look at section 26 of
      the faq http://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      Was kann an der Arbeit gut sein, wenn die Reichen sie den Armen überlassen.

    • Venu Gopal
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 8, 2014
        I had the same issue, but is now solved with your solution.

        Thanks, Christian!