Re: vim split window editing => separate window editing?

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
      Hi Linda

      [1]
      > it be possible to have those windows be "disconnected" and really be
      > separate windows
      (first mail)
      Please clarify what you mean by "window". In Vim terminology a window is
      a rectangular region which can display a buffer. Muliple windows create
      a layout. See :h window.

      in OS terminology a window is something with a [x] at the top right,
      something you can resize, close, minimize, move to other deskopts etc.
      thus something like gvim, firefox, open office, etc.

      [2]
      > What would be confusing is trying to merge all those copies
      > you suggest I make.
      (later mail)

      See comments about what narrow region plugin does (bottom)
      Its a little bit confusing, so try again explaining what you mean by
      - window
      - merge
      - disconnected?
      (eg why disconnect if you want to merge later)

      So please try again explaining your workflow, what you want to do.

      What does emacs provide (just try it):

      emacsclient --daemon

      then any terminal:
      emacsclient -c (new window)
      emacsclient -c (new second window, but internal state is shared in
      the daemon running)

      Thus you have two separate OS windows which "merge" automatically -
      as long as everything is running as same user on the same machine.

      This feel like collaborative editing (eg titatnpad etherpad or
      google document like) - but requires all emacs windows to run on the
      same computer and as the same user (?)

      For that reason I suggested looking at collaborative editing plugins
      if they exist.

      NrrwRgn (A Narrow Region Plugin)

      This is a script emulates Emacs Narrowing feature, by opening a selected
      range in a new scratch buffer.

      In the scratch buffer simply save it and the changes will be copied
      into the original file.
      This is only a very simple help. You should probably read the help,
      that is provided with the plugin. See :h NarrowRegion

      Can "copying back to the original buffer" be called "merging"?
      Depends on what you're looking for. I agree its useful.

      Maybe try all of those solutions - to get a better understanding what
      works and what not - and then come back and ask more specific questions.

      Marc Weber

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
        On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 09:29:59 +0100, Marc Weber wrote:
        > > it be possible to have those windows be "disconnected" and really
        > > be separate windows
        > (first mail)
        > Please clarify what you mean by "window". In Vim terminology a
        > window is a rectangular region which can display a buffer. Muliple
        > windows create a layout. See :h window.
        >
        > in OS terminology a window is something with a [x] at the top right,
        > something you can resize, close, minimize, move to other deskopts
        > etc. thus something like gvim, firefox, open office, etc.

        From my understanding, Linda would like a second OS-window (and she
        is already familiar with vim-windows), something that would only be
        available in a gvim. Additionally, such multiple-OS-windows can be
        done via an in-proc (one executable running, multiple OS-windows
        showing from that one proc) or out-of-proc (multiple executables
        running; such as using --remote commands).

        -tim