Re: vim split window editing => separate window editing?

  • Benjamin R. Haskell
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2013
      On Sat, 2 Feb 2013, Linda W wrote:

      > Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
      >> She just seems to want it as a separate window, instead of being
      >> crammed into the same Gvim application window.
      > ---
      > Yep. Many applications have the ability to detach parts of the app...
      >>
      >> But, I don't suspect the request will be fulfilled. It'd be too
      >> complicated to implement in terminal Vim. And Gvim is structured
      >> such that there's a single top-level application window. I haven't
      >> looked, but I don't think there's a nice way to handle multiple
      >> detachable windows without rewriting (much/most of) the GUI code.
      > ---
      > Really? I thought there was an ability to tear off menus at some point?
      > Or am I hallucinating that? ;-)

      I believe the tear-off menus are a built-in feature of GTK+. (Where you
      need only specify 'true' for some "This menu can be torn off" property.)
      IIRC, letting other things be "tear off" isn't as simple.

      I could be wrong. I thankfully haven't had to do much GTK programming
      in a while. Googling "GTK tear off windows" finds GtkHandleBox, so it
      /might/ be as simple as turning the (vim) tabs into handle boxes.

      --
      Best,
      Ben

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2013
        Well - opening the same file multiple time is no that bad, because you
        can make vim
        - safe the buf if you leave insert mode
        - reload the buf it has changed
        Its not perfect. If you need assistance with it I'll write a new
        plugin.

        If you use google there is a chance to find some somewhat working
        collaborative editing implementations for Vim.

        Eg try googling for "collaborative editing vim github"
        (I haven't tested those), there may be more implementations.

        Next option: use emacs: It can do it. Evil implements most important Vim
        modal editing commands just fine.

        I hope that this reply is more helpful than my first one.

        Marc Weber

      • ping
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2013
          On 2/2/2013 5:30 PM, Marc Weber wrote:
          > Next option: use emacs: It can do it. Evil implements most important Vim
          > modal editing commands just fine.
          that's not an "eamcs-only" feature.

          try nrrwrgn:

          one of my most favorite plugins...

        • Marc Weber
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
            Hi Linda

            [1]
            > it be possible to have those windows be "disconnected" and really be
            > separate windows
            (first mail)
            Please clarify what you mean by "window". In Vim terminology a window is
            a rectangular region which can display a buffer. Muliple windows create
            a layout. See :h window.

            in OS terminology a window is something with a [x] at the top right,
            something you can resize, close, minimize, move to other deskopts etc.
            thus something like gvim, firefox, open office, etc.

            [2]
            > What would be confusing is trying to merge all those copies
            > you suggest I make.
            (later mail)

            See comments about what narrow region plugin does (bottom)
            Its a little bit confusing, so try again explaining what you mean by
            - window
            - merge
            - disconnected?
            (eg why disconnect if you want to merge later)

            So please try again explaining your workflow, what you want to do.

            What does emacs provide (just try it):

            emacsclient --daemon

            then any terminal:
            emacsclient -c (new window)
            emacsclient -c (new second window, but internal state is shared in
            the daemon running)

            Thus you have two separate OS windows which "merge" automatically -
            as long as everything is running as same user on the same machine.

            This feel like collaborative editing (eg titatnpad etherpad or
            google document like) - but requires all emacs windows to run on the
            same computer and as the same user (?)

            For that reason I suggested looking at collaborative editing plugins
            if they exist.

            NrrwRgn (A Narrow Region Plugin)

            This is a script emulates Emacs Narrowing feature, by opening a selected
            range in a new scratch buffer.

            In the scratch buffer simply save it and the changes will be copied
            into the original file.
            This is only a very simple help. You should probably read the help,
            that is provided with the plugin. See :h NarrowRegion

            Can "copying back to the original buffer" be called "merging"?
            Depends on what you're looking for. I agree its useful.

            Maybe try all of those solutions - to get a better understanding what
            works and what not - and then come back and ask more specific questions.

            Marc Weber

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
              On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 09:29:59 +0100, Marc Weber wrote:
              > > it be possible to have those windows be "disconnected" and really
              > > be separate windows
              > (first mail)
              > Please clarify what you mean by "window". In Vim terminology a
              > window is a rectangular region which can display a buffer. Muliple
              > windows create a layout. See :h window.
              >
              > in OS terminology a window is something with a [x] at the top right,
              > something you can resize, close, minimize, move to other deskopts
              > etc. thus something like gvim, firefox, open office, etc.

              From my understanding, Linda would like a second OS-window (and she
              is already familiar with vim-windows), something that would only be
              available in a gvim. Additionally, such multiple-OS-windows can be
              done via an in-proc (one executable running, multiple OS-windows
              showing from that one proc) or out-of-proc (multiple executables
              running; such as using --remote commands).

              -tim