Re: Migrating text from vim to wysiwyg editor

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
      Hi jcordes!

      On Sa, 02 Feb 2013, jcordes wrote:

      > On Friday, 1 February 2013 23:46:03 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
      > > You could do something like
      > > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
      > >
      > > (assuming you have at least one blank line at the end of the file;
      > > otherwise, you'd have to manually join the last line to the last
      > > paragraph).
      >
      > Tim,
      >
      > Thanks very much for posting this. Your explanation (in a later post) makes a lot of sense, but for some reason I keep coming up with an 'invalid range' error when I use
      > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
      > This is in a short text file with some blank (empty) lines between paragraphs, on linux; line endings are just LF.
      >
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 24 2012 23:53:05)
      > Huge version without GUI.
      >
      > Can you suggest anything I might be doing wrong?

      Are you possibly missing a trailing empty line?

      Mit freundlichen Grüßen
      Christian
      --
      Man begeht entweder Fehler des Stolzes oder des Kriechens, wenn man
      nicht die Anerkennung des eignen Werts voraussetzt.

    • jcordes
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
        On Saturday, 2 February 2013 14:40:47 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
        > On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 10:27:27 -0800 (PST), jcordes wrote:
        >
        > > On Friday, 1 February 2013 23:46:03 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
        >
        > > > You could do something like
        >
        > > > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
        >

        > > Thanks very much for posting this. Your explanation (in a later
        >
        > > post) makes a lot of sense,
        >
        > > but for some reason I keep coming up
        > > with an 'invalid range' error when I use :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
        >
        > The only way I was able to trigger this was if either:
        >
        > 1) your relative-range happens to be swapped (such that the 2nd line
        > comes before the first line), or
        >
        > 2) if your file only has one line in it.
        >
        > I might be able to better determine what's going on if you can
        > produce a sample file against which I could test.

        Tim, and Christian:

        I have reduced the file to something very short - however, at some point the error changed to E147: Cannot do :global recursive. Here is the short version:

        ###########
        2010.09.06

        Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
        spreadsheets.

        ###########

        There are 5 lines, the last one being empty. Lines 3 and 4 are each terminated by a LF.

        I'm not sure if I may be misunderstanding the original proposal, to do
        :g/^\</'{+,'}-j

        Was it intended that the entire file should be visually selected first? I hadn't thought so.

        Thanks for your assistance,
        John

      • jcordes
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
          On Saturday, 2 February 2013 16:09:17 UTC-4, jcordes wrote:
          > On Saturday, 2 February 2013 14:40:47 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:

          > > > Thanks very much for posting this. Your explanation (in a later
          > >
          > > > post) makes a lot of sense,
          > >
          > > > but for some reason I keep coming up
          > > > with an 'invalid range' error when I use :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
          > >
          > > The only way I was able to trigger this was if either:
          > >
          > > 1) your relative-range happens to be swapped (such that the 2nd line
          > > comes before the first line), or
          > >
          > > 2) if your file only has one line in it.
          > >
          > > I might be able to better determine what's going on if you can
          > > produce a sample file against which I could test.
          >
          > Tim, and Christian:
          >
          > I have reduced the file to something very short - however, at some point the error changed to E147: Cannot do :global recursive. Here is the short version:
          >
          > ###########
          > 2010.09.06
          >
          > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
          > spreadsheets.
          >
          > ###########
          >
          > There are 5 lines, the last one being empty. Lines 3 and 4 are each terminated by a LF.
          >
          > I'm not sure if I may be misunderstanding the original proposal, to do
          > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
          >
          > Was it intended that the entire file should be visually selected first? I hadn't thought so.
          >
          > Thanks for your assistance,
          > John

          Sorry for the repost - I just realized I should have attached the test file. Have done so in this message.
          John

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
            Hi jcordes!

            On Sa, 02 Feb 2013, jcordes wrote:

            > On Saturday, 2 February 2013 16:09:17 UTC-4, jcordes wrote:

            > > > The only way I was able to trigger this was if either:
            > > >
            > > > 1) your relative-range happens to be swapped (such that the 2nd line
            > > > comes before the first line), or
            > > >
            > > > 2) if your file only has one line in it.
            > > >
            > > > I might be able to better determine what's going on if you can
            > > > produce a sample file against which I could test.
            > >
            > > Tim, and Christian:
            > >
            > > I have reduced the file to something very short - however, at some point the error changed to E147: Cannot do :global recursive. Here is the short version:
            > >
            > > ###########
            > > 2010.09.06
            > >
            > > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
            > > spreadsheets.
            > >
            > > ###########
            > >
            > > There are 5 lines, the last one being empty. Lines 3 and 4 are each terminated by a LF.
            > >
            > > I'm not sure if I may be misunderstanding the original proposal, to do
            > > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
            > >
            > > Was it intended that the entire file should be visually selected first? I hadn't thought so.
            > >
            > > Thanks for your assistance,
            > > John
            >
            > Sorry for the repost - I just realized I should have attached the test file. Have done so in this message.
            > John
            >

            > 2010.09.06
            >
            > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
            > spreadsheets.

            I think, this happens, because there is no empty first line in your
            file. Simply add an empty first line in front of everything and I
            believe the :g command works.

            regards,
            Christian
            --
            Sprich leise und höflich, aber trage stets einen dicken Knüppel bei
            dir.

          • Michael Henry
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
              On 02/02/2013 01:31 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
              > On 2013-02-02, Michael Henry wrote:
              >> I was interested to see the use of visual-mode "Y" above. In
              >> the Vim help (and in brief empirical testing), I don't see any
              >> difference between lowercase "y" and uppercase "Y" in visual
              >> mode.
              >
              > I wanted the yank to be done line-wise and it was easier for me to
              > type Y than to investigate whether y would work as well.

              Thanks! For some reason, I couldn't see any difference in the
              help text between "y" and "Y", and the empirical testing
              happened to work because the original visual selection was done
              using "V". You've helped me learn something new today :-)

              Michael Henry

            • jcordes
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                On Saturday, 2 February 2013 17:29:45 UTC-4, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                > Hi jcordes!
                >

                > On Sa, 02 Feb 2013, jcordes wrote:

                > > > Tim, and Christian:
                >

                > > > I have reduced the file to something very short - however, at some point the error changed to E147: Cannot do :global recursive. Here is the short version:
                >

                > > > ###########
                >
                > > > 2010.09.06
                >

                > > > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
                >
                > > > spreadsheets.
                >

                > > > ###########
                >

                > > > There are 5 lines, the last one being empty. Lines 3 and 4 are each terminated by a LF.
                >

                > > > I'm not sure if I may be misunderstanding the original proposal, to do
                >
                > > > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                >

                > > > Was it intended that the entire file should be visually selected first? I hadn't thought so.
                >

                > > > Thanks for your assistance,
                >
                > > > John
                >

                > > Sorry for the repost - I just realized I should have attached the test file. Have done so in this message.
                >
                > > John
                >

                > > 2010.09.06
                >

                > > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
                >
                > > spreadsheets.
                >

                > I think, this happens, because there is no empty first line in your
                >
                > file. Simply add an empty first line in front of everything and I
                >
                > believe the :g command works.
                >

                > regards,
                >
                > Christian

                Hi Christian,

                I tried inserting an empty line at the top of the file, but am still experiencing the E147: Cannot do :global recursive

                If I keep the empty top line and visually select the entire file, then the command works as expected. This also works for the original file I was working with. So in summary, inserting an empty line at the top *and* visually selecting the entire file enables the command to work.
                Perhaps I misunderstood the original message and it was intended to select the whole file first.

                Thanks,
                John Cordes

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                  > I have reduced the file to something very short - however, at some
                  > point the error changed to E147: Cannot do :global recursive. Here
                  > is the short version:
                  >
                  > ###########
                  > 2010.09.06
                  >
                  > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my
                  > family in spreadsheets.
                  >
                  > ###########

                  It looks like it's the first line causing trouble. So I'd expand my
                  caveat to "have a blank line at both the top and bottom of the
                  file". I think it stems from the '{ mark being the first line rather
                  than the zero'th line, so when you add one to it, it points to line
                  #2, coming *after* the '}-minus-one line (the top solitary line of
                  text)

                  Usually the E147 about ":global recursive" gets triggered when you
                  try something like

                  :g/pattern1/.;+5g/pattern2/d

                  where you try to do a ":g" as the Ex command issued by an outer :g
                  command. I couldn't find the help-target on that one off the top of
                  my head (the help for E147 doesn't give anything on how to remedy
                  that error).

                  -tim

                • jcordes
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                    On Saturday, 2 February 2013 19:55:58 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:

                    > > ###########
                    >
                    > > 2010.09.06
                    >

                    > > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my
                    >
                    > > family in spreadsheets.
                    >

                    > > ###########
                    >

                    > It looks like it's the first line causing trouble. So I'd expand my
                    >
                    > caveat to "have a blank line at both the top and bottom of the
                    >
                    > file". I think it stems from the '{ mark being the first line rather
                    >
                    > than the zero'th line, so when you add one to it, it points to line
                    >
                    > #2, coming *after* the '}-minus-one line (the top solitary line of
                    >
                    > text)
                    >

                    > Usually the E147 about ":global recursive" gets triggered when you
                    >
                    > try something like
                    >

                    > :g/pattern1/.;+5g/pattern2/d
                    >

                    > where you try to do a ":g" as the Ex command issued by an outer :g
                    >
                    > command. I couldn't find the help-target on that one off the top of
                    >
                    > my head (the help for E147 doesn't give anything on how to remedy
                    >
                    > that error).
                    >

                    > -tim

                    Thank you Tim.

                    John