Re: Migrating text from vim to wysiwyg editor

  • vim@...
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2013
      On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:09:16 -0700, Chris Schneider wrote:
      > vipJ will join a single paragraph's lines.
      >
      > I'm not good enough with fancier :g/ commands to join each paragraph
      > individually.

      You could do something like

      :g/^\</'{+,'}-j

      (assuming you have at least one blank line at the end of the file;
      otherwise, you'd have to manually join the last line to the last
      paragraph). Alternatively, you could do

      :v/^\s*$/norm vipJ

      which would have a similar behavior.

      -tim

    • Tim Johnson
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2013
        * Tim Johnson <tim@...> [130201 17:58]:
        > Hi Team :
        >
        > I've started using drupal. I've been writing articles using vim.
        > Sometimes they get printed directly from vim, sometimes I copy them
        > into OpenOffice and print them off.
        <...>
        > Before I procede - any comments?
        Great tips and comments. Thanks to all!
        --
        Tim
        http://www.akwebsoft.com

      • Chris Schneider
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 1, 2013
          Tim - can you describe what to search help on for that trick? Second time I've seen it today, with the :g/pattern/range -dash- command.  But I couldn't actually get it working for the earlier example.

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 1, 2013
            On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:55:09 -0700, Chris Schneider wrote:
            > Tim - can you describe what to search help on for that trick?
            > Second time I've seen it today, with the :g/pattern/range -dash-
            > command.

            Think of it as

            :{range}g/{pattern}/{ex command}

            where "{ex command}" can include a range relative to the line the
            match was found on. So you can do things like find every line
            containing "foo" and indent the line above through the line below:

            :g/foo/-,+>

            That could also be written more explicitly as

            :g/foo/-1,+1>

            or make it less annoying (since ">" reports every set of lines it
            shifts) with

            :g/foo/sil! -,+>

            Here my Ex command is ">" (shift a range right by one 'shiftwidth').

            My relative range is "-,+" (more explicitly "-1,+1", but since it
            defaults to 1 if you don't specify, I often don't). By using the
            comma, it moves the start of the range back one line, but then
            adjusts the end of the range forward one line *from the line that
            matched*. If instead I'd used "-;+", it would have been back one
            line, and then forward one line relative to that. Things get really
            crazy when you start to stack movements such as

            :g/foo/?bar?+2;/baz/-1d

            which searches for lines matching "foo". On each matching line, it
            then searches backwards for "bar", then moves forward two lines to
            start the range. Then, from that point (rather than the initial
            "foo"-matching line, as it would if I'd used a comma instead of a
            semicolon), it searches forward until it finds "baz" and then backs
            up the end of the range by one line. With that range in hand, it
            then deletes the range in question (":help :d"). You can read a
            brief description of the range specifiers at

            :help :range

            It's this sort of crazy power that makes it hard for me to use any
            other editor for any length of time. "What do you mean that your
            editor doesn't have an easy way to perform substitutions on the
            five lines following the first instance of 'foo' after instances
            of 'bar'?! Vim does…" :)

            -tim

            :help :range
            :help :g
            :help ex-cmd-index

          • Eric Weir
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
              On Feb 1, 2013, at 9:55 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:

              > I've started using drupal. I've been writing articles using vim.
              > Sometimes they get printed directly from vim, sometimes I copy them
              > into OpenOffice and print them off.
              >
              > Then, I publish them to the web using drupal and a wysiwyg editor.
              >
              > I'm really very new to using wysiwyg editors (as in drupal). I'm
              > sure that pasting text from vim is going to insert hard breaks that
              > might result in hard-to-read formatting in different devices.

              I routinely yank from vim and paste in other editors without difficulty. I'm not certain this is the reason, and I didn't come up with this on my own. I asked a similar question here and it was given to me. Anyway, my .vimrc has this:

              "-----------------------------------------------wrap to screen w/o linebreak
              set linebreak

              Eric Weir
              Decatur, GA USA
              eeweir@...

              "Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

              - Amos Oz

            • Michael Henry
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                On 02/01/2013 10:42 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
                > then highlight the lines of the report using V. Then
                >
                > gqgvY
                >
                > to reformat all the paragraphs as long lines and yank them to the
                > clipboard[...]

                I was interested to see the use of visual-mode "Y" above. In
                the Vim help (and in brief empirical testing), I don't see any
                difference between lowercase "y" and uppercase "Y" in visual
                mode. I'm just curious why you've chosen to use the uppercase
                alternative, since lowercase "y" is easier to type.

                Michael Henry

              • ping
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                  On 2/1/2013 10:55 PM, Chris Schneider wrote:
                  > You could do something like
                  >
                  > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                  >
                  > (assuming you have at least one blank line at the end of the file;
                  > otherwise, you'd have to manually join the last line to the last
                  > paragraph). Alternatively, you could do
                  >
                  > :v/^\s*$/norm vipJ
                  >
                  > which would have a similar behavior.
                  so along with a "reverse" operator we can have sth like these?
                  //join each parag into a line
                  noremap ,q :g/^\</'{+,'}-j<cr>

                  //split(format) them back into paragraphs
                  noremap ,Q :g/^\S/normal gqqo<esc>

                  I think the good thing is that they can be used under vsiual mode, which
                  gives a control of the text range that these operators can be applied on...

                • jcordes
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                    On Friday, 1 February 2013 23:46:03 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
                    > You could do something like
                    > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                    >
                    > (assuming you have at least one blank line at the end of the file;
                    > otherwise, you'd have to manually join the last line to the last
                    > paragraph).

                    Tim,

                    Thanks very much for posting this. Your explanation (in a later post) makes a lot of sense, but for some reason I keep coming up with an 'invalid range' error when I use
                    :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                    This is in a short text file with some blank (empty) lines between paragraphs, on linux; line endings are just LF.

                    VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 24 2012 23:53:05)
                    Huge version without GUI.

                    Can you suggest anything I might be doing wrong?

                    Thanks,
                    John

                  • Gary Johnson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                      On 2013-02-02, Michael Henry wrote:
                      > On 02/01/2013 10:42 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
                      > > then highlight the lines of the report using V. Then
                      > >
                      > > gqgvY
                      > >
                      > > to reformat all the paragraphs as long lines and yank them to the
                      > > clipboard[...]
                      >
                      > I was interested to see the use of visual-mode "Y" above. In
                      > the Vim help (and in brief empirical testing), I don't see any
                      > difference between lowercase "y" and uppercase "Y" in visual
                      > mode. I'm just curious why you've chosen to use the uppercase
                      > alternative, since lowercase "y" is easier to type.

                      I wanted the yank to be done line-wise and it was easier for me to
                      type Y than to investigate whether y would work as well.

                      Regards,
                      Gary

                    • Christian Brabandt
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                        Hi jcordes!

                        On Sa, 02 Feb 2013, jcordes wrote:

                        > On Friday, 1 February 2013 23:46:03 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
                        > > You could do something like
                        > > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                        > >
                        > > (assuming you have at least one blank line at the end of the file;
                        > > otherwise, you'd have to manually join the last line to the last
                        > > paragraph).
                        >
                        > Tim,
                        >
                        > Thanks very much for posting this. Your explanation (in a later post) makes a lot of sense, but for some reason I keep coming up with an 'invalid range' error when I use
                        > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                        > This is in a short text file with some blank (empty) lines between paragraphs, on linux; line endings are just LF.
                        >
                        > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 24 2012 23:53:05)
                        > Huge version without GUI.
                        >
                        > Can you suggest anything I might be doing wrong?

                        Are you possibly missing a trailing empty line?

                        Mit freundlichen Grüßen
                        Christian
                        --
                        Man begeht entweder Fehler des Stolzes oder des Kriechens, wenn man
                        nicht die Anerkennung des eignen Werts voraussetzt.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                          On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 10:27:27 -0800 (PST), jcordes wrote:
                          > On Friday, 1 February 2013 23:46:03 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
                          > > You could do something like
                          > > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                          >
                          > Thanks very much for posting this. Your explanation (in a later
                          > post) makes a lot of sense,

                          Sorry if it was just a tad prolix. :-)

                          > but for some reason I keep coming up
                          > with an 'invalid range' error when I use :g/^\</'{+,'}-j

                          The only way I was able to trigger this was if either:

                          1) your relative-range happens to be swapped (such that the 2nd line
                          comes before the first line), or

                          2) if your file only has one line in it.

                          I might be able to better determine what's going on if you can
                          produce a sample file against which I could test.

                          -tim

                        • jcordes
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                            On Saturday, 2 February 2013 14:40:47 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
                            > On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 10:27:27 -0800 (PST), jcordes wrote:
                            >
                            > > On Friday, 1 February 2013 23:46:03 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
                            >
                            > > > You could do something like
                            >
                            > > > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                            >

                            > > Thanks very much for posting this. Your explanation (in a later
                            >
                            > > post) makes a lot of sense,
                            >
                            > > but for some reason I keep coming up
                            > > with an 'invalid range' error when I use :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                            >
                            > The only way I was able to trigger this was if either:
                            >
                            > 1) your relative-range happens to be swapped (such that the 2nd line
                            > comes before the first line), or
                            >
                            > 2) if your file only has one line in it.
                            >
                            > I might be able to better determine what's going on if you can
                            > produce a sample file against which I could test.

                            Tim, and Christian:

                            I have reduced the file to something very short - however, at some point the error changed to E147: Cannot do :global recursive. Here is the short version:

                            ###########
                            2010.09.06

                            Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
                            spreadsheets.

                            ###########

                            There are 5 lines, the last one being empty. Lines 3 and 4 are each terminated by a LF.

                            I'm not sure if I may be misunderstanding the original proposal, to do
                            :g/^\</'{+,'}-j

                            Was it intended that the entire file should be visually selected first? I hadn't thought so.

                            Thanks for your assistance,
                            John

                          • jcordes
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                              On Saturday, 2 February 2013 16:09:17 UTC-4, jcordes wrote:
                              > On Saturday, 2 February 2013 14:40:47 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:

                              > > > Thanks very much for posting this. Your explanation (in a later
                              > >
                              > > > post) makes a lot of sense,
                              > >
                              > > > but for some reason I keep coming up
                              > > > with an 'invalid range' error when I use :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                              > >
                              > > The only way I was able to trigger this was if either:
                              > >
                              > > 1) your relative-range happens to be swapped (such that the 2nd line
                              > > comes before the first line), or
                              > >
                              > > 2) if your file only has one line in it.
                              > >
                              > > I might be able to better determine what's going on if you can
                              > > produce a sample file against which I could test.
                              >
                              > Tim, and Christian:
                              >
                              > I have reduced the file to something very short - however, at some point the error changed to E147: Cannot do :global recursive. Here is the short version:
                              >
                              > ###########
                              > 2010.09.06
                              >
                              > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
                              > spreadsheets.
                              >
                              > ###########
                              >
                              > There are 5 lines, the last one being empty. Lines 3 and 4 are each terminated by a LF.
                              >
                              > I'm not sure if I may be misunderstanding the original proposal, to do
                              > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                              >
                              > Was it intended that the entire file should be visually selected first? I hadn't thought so.
                              >
                              > Thanks for your assistance,
                              > John

                              Sorry for the repost - I just realized I should have attached the test file. Have done so in this message.
                              John

                            • Christian Brabandt
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                                Hi jcordes!

                                On Sa, 02 Feb 2013, jcordes wrote:

                                > On Saturday, 2 February 2013 16:09:17 UTC-4, jcordes wrote:

                                > > > The only way I was able to trigger this was if either:
                                > > >
                                > > > 1) your relative-range happens to be swapped (such that the 2nd line
                                > > > comes before the first line), or
                                > > >
                                > > > 2) if your file only has one line in it.
                                > > >
                                > > > I might be able to better determine what's going on if you can
                                > > > produce a sample file against which I could test.
                                > >
                                > > Tim, and Christian:
                                > >
                                > > I have reduced the file to something very short - however, at some point the error changed to E147: Cannot do :global recursive. Here is the short version:
                                > >
                                > > ###########
                                > > 2010.09.06
                                > >
                                > > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
                                > > spreadsheets.
                                > >
                                > > ###########
                                > >
                                > > There are 5 lines, the last one being empty. Lines 3 and 4 are each terminated by a LF.
                                > >
                                > > I'm not sure if I may be misunderstanding the original proposal, to do
                                > > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                                > >
                                > > Was it intended that the entire file should be visually selected first? I hadn't thought so.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for your assistance,
                                > > John
                                >
                                > Sorry for the repost - I just realized I should have attached the test file. Have done so in this message.
                                > John
                                >

                                > 2010.09.06
                                >
                                > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
                                > spreadsheets.

                                I think, this happens, because there is no empty first line in your
                                file. Simply add an empty first line in front of everything and I
                                believe the :g command works.

                                regards,
                                Christian
                                --
                                Sprich leise und höflich, aber trage stets einen dicken Knüppel bei
                                dir.

                              • Michael Henry
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                                  On 02/02/2013 01:31 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
                                  > On 2013-02-02, Michael Henry wrote:
                                  >> I was interested to see the use of visual-mode "Y" above. In
                                  >> the Vim help (and in brief empirical testing), I don't see any
                                  >> difference between lowercase "y" and uppercase "Y" in visual
                                  >> mode.
                                  >
                                  > I wanted the yank to be done line-wise and it was easier for me to
                                  > type Y than to investigate whether y would work as well.

                                  Thanks! For some reason, I couldn't see any difference in the
                                  help text between "y" and "Y", and the empirical testing
                                  happened to work because the original visual selection was done
                                  using "V". You've helped me learn something new today :-)

                                  Michael Henry

                                • jcordes
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                                    On Saturday, 2 February 2013 17:29:45 UTC-4, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                                    > Hi jcordes!
                                    >

                                    > On Sa, 02 Feb 2013, jcordes wrote:

                                    > > > Tim, and Christian:
                                    >

                                    > > > I have reduced the file to something very short - however, at some point the error changed to E147: Cannot do :global recursive. Here is the short version:
                                    >

                                    > > > ###########
                                    >
                                    > > > 2010.09.06
                                    >

                                    > > > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
                                    >
                                    > > > spreadsheets.
                                    >

                                    > > > ###########
                                    >

                                    > > > There are 5 lines, the last one being empty. Lines 3 and 4 are each terminated by a LF.
                                    >

                                    > > > I'm not sure if I may be misunderstanding the original proposal, to do
                                    >
                                    > > > :g/^\</'{+,'}-j
                                    >

                                    > > > Was it intended that the entire file should be visually selected first? I hadn't thought so.
                                    >

                                    > > > Thanks for your assistance,
                                    >
                                    > > > John
                                    >

                                    > > Sorry for the repost - I just realized I should have attached the test file. Have done so in this message.
                                    >
                                    > > John
                                    >

                                    > > 2010.09.06
                                    >

                                    > > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my family in
                                    >
                                    > > spreadsheets.
                                    >

                                    > I think, this happens, because there is no empty first line in your
                                    >
                                    > file. Simply add an empty first line in front of everything and I
                                    >
                                    > believe the :g command works.
                                    >

                                    > regards,
                                    >
                                    > Christian

                                    Hi Christian,

                                    I tried inserting an empty line at the top of the file, but am still experiencing the E147: Cannot do :global recursive

                                    If I keep the empty top line and visually select the entire file, then the command works as expected. This also works for the original file I was working with. So in summary, inserting an empty line at the top *and* visually selecting the entire file enables the command to work.
                                    Perhaps I misunderstood the original message and it was intended to select the whole file first.

                                    Thanks,
                                    John Cordes

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
                                      > I have reduced the file to something very short - however, at some
                                      > point the error changed to E147: Cannot do :global recursive. Here
                                      > is the short version:
                                      >
                                      > ###########
                                      > 2010.09.06
                                      >
                                      > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my
                                      > family in spreadsheets.
                                      >
                                      > ###########

                                      It looks like it's the first line causing trouble. So I'd expand my
                                      caveat to "have a blank line at both the top and bottom of the
                                      file". I think it stems from the '{ mark being the first line rather
                                      than the zero'th line, so when you add one to it, it points to line
                                      #2, coming *after* the '}-minus-one line (the top solitary line of
                                      text)

                                      Usually the E147 about ":global recursive" gets triggered when you
                                      try something like

                                      :g/pattern1/.;+5g/pattern2/d

                                      where you try to do a ":g" as the Ex command issued by an outer :g
                                      command. I couldn't find the help-target on that one off the top of
                                      my head (the help for E147 doesn't give anything on how to remedy
                                      that error).

                                      -tim

                                    • jcordes
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                                        On Saturday, 2 February 2013 19:55:58 UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:

                                        > > ###########
                                        >
                                        > > 2010.09.06
                                        >

                                        > > Enter more city directory data - I already have quite a lot for my
                                        >
                                        > > family in spreadsheets.
                                        >

                                        > > ###########
                                        >

                                        > It looks like it's the first line causing trouble. So I'd expand my
                                        >
                                        > caveat to "have a blank line at both the top and bottom of the
                                        >
                                        > file". I think it stems from the '{ mark being the first line rather
                                        >
                                        > than the zero'th line, so when you add one to it, it points to line
                                        >
                                        > #2, coming *after* the '}-minus-one line (the top solitary line of
                                        >
                                        > text)
                                        >

                                        > Usually the E147 about ":global recursive" gets triggered when you
                                        >
                                        > try something like
                                        >

                                        > :g/pattern1/.;+5g/pattern2/d
                                        >

                                        > where you try to do a ":g" as the Ex command issued by an outer :g
                                        >
                                        > command. I couldn't find the help-target on that one off the top of
                                        >
                                        > my head (the help for E147 doesn't give anything on how to remedy
                                        >
                                        > that error).
                                        >

                                        > -tim

                                        Thank you Tim.

                                        John