Fastest way to swap selections

  • Juanmi
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hello all,
      I would like to know what are the better/fastest way to swap portions of text. In this case ip address. Imagine I have a dhcp config and want to change a mac address by another:
      host printer {
      option host-name "epl5900.red-local.net";
      hardware ethernet 00:24:2B:65:54:84;
      fixed-address 172.16.1.59;
      }
      host computer {
      option host-name "fancylaptop.red-local.net";
      hardware ethernet 00:24:2B:65:54:85;
      fixed-address 172.16.1.19;
      }
      What can I do to swap both macs on example?

      Thanks.

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
        On Friday, February 1, 2013 5:14:56 AM UTC-6, Juanmi wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > I would like to know what are the better/fastest way to swap portions of text. In this case ip address. Imagine I have a dhcp config and want to change a mac address by another:
        > host printer {
        > option host-name "epl5900.red-local.net";
        > hardware ethernet 00:24:2B:65:54:84;
        > fixed-address 172.16.1.59;
        > }
        > host computer {
        > option host-name "fancylaptop.red-local.net";
        > hardware ethernet 00:24:2B:65:54:85;
        > fixed-address 172.16.1.19;
        > }
        > What can I do to swap both macs on example?
        >
        > Thanks.

        What do you mean by "swap"?

        If I were entering a new MAC address by manual edit, I'd just place the cursor on the address, press R, and type it in.

        If I already have the new MAC address in some other application, I'd copy it, place the cursor on the beginning, press ct; (change text until just before the ';' character) and then CTRL+R followed by + to paste it in.

        As you can see the action I'd take depends on the situation.

        So please explain your situation more fully.

      • Paul Isambert
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
          Le 01/02/2013 15:40, Juanmi a écrit :
          > Sorry I thought I was clear. What I mean is to change in the example the mac address in printer host change with laptop host mac address. Change one for another. Something like selecting visually 1 mac, then I go to the next mac and when I select it push a keybinding and the macs addresses interchange their places.

          The simpler way I know is:

          1) select first text
          2) delete with d
          3) select second text
          4) paste first text with p (this deletes the second text)
          6) paste with p

          In step 3), if you jump to the second text with "<line>G", you can go
          back to the first position in step 5) with a simple ``.

          Otherwise, you can still use named register to make sure you make no
          mistake.

          Best,
          Paul

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013