Re: how to make a file relative to $VIM

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
      On Fri, February 1, 2013 10:34, Jeri Raye wrote:
      > On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...>
      > wrote:
      >> Hi Jeri!
      >>
      > [...]
      >> You need to expand the environment variables using expand()
      > [...]
      >
      > When I type :
      >
      > let MRU_File = expand($VIM)/_vim_mru_files
      >
      > a) it creates errors
      > E121: Undefined variable: _vim_mru_files
      > E15: Invalid expression: expand($VIM)/_vim_mru_files

      :let expects and an expression and so you need to quote strings and
      append them:
      :let MRU_File = expand($VIM). "/_vim_mru_files"

      alternatively, you can use:
      :let my_path = "$VIM/_vim_mru_files"
      :let MRU_FILE = expand(my_path)

      regards,
      Christian

    • Jürgen Krämer
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013

        Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > On Fri, February 1, 2013 10:34, Jeri Raye wrote:
        >> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...>
        >> wrote:
        >>> Hi Jeri!
        >>>
        >> [...]
        >>> You need to expand the environment variables using expand()
        >> [...]
        >>
        >> When I type :
        >>
        >> let MRU_File = expand($VIM)/_vim_mru_files
        >>
        >> a) it creates errors
        >> E121: Undefined variable: _vim_mru_files
        >> E15: Invalid expression: expand($VIM)/_vim_mru_files
        >
        > :let expects and an expression and so you need to quote strings and
        > append them:
        > :let MRU_File = expand($VIM). "/_vim_mru_files"

        you don't need expand() here. It's onyl necessary if you want to expand
        environment variables inside a string, like in the second example. Thus,

        :let MRU_File = $VIM . "/_vim_mru_files"

        is sufficient.

        > alternatively, you can use:
        > :let my_path = "$VIM/_vim_mru_files"
        > :let MRU_FILE = expand(my_path)

        Regards,
        Jürgen

      • Jeri Raye
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
          > :let expects and an expression and so you need to quote strings and
          > append them:
          > :let MRU_File = expand($VIM). "/_vim_mru_files"
          >
          > alternatively, you can use:
          > :let my_path = "$VIM/_vim_mru_files"
          > :let MRU_FILE = expand(my_path)
          >

          > regards,
          > Christian

          Christian
          Thanks.
          It works.

          Rgds,
          Jeri

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
            On Fri, February 1, 2013 10:59, Jürgen Krämer wrote:
            > Christian Brabandt wrote:
            >> :let expects and an expression and so you need to quote strings and
            >> append them:
            >> :let MRU_File = expand($VIM). "/_vim_mru_files"
            >
            > you don't need expand() here. It's onyl necessary if you want to expand
            > environment variables inside a string, like in the second example. Thus,
            >
            > :let MRU_File = $VIM . "/_vim_mru_files"
            >
            > is sufficient.

            Oh, I learnt something new today. I didn't know, you can use environment
            variables like normal variables.

            regards,
            Christian