Re: Syntax highlight not happening on :newtab

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
      On 2013-02-01, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > On Fri, February 1, 2013 05:51, naaj_ila wrote:
      > > Hi Gary ,
      > >
      > > Thanks for the reply.
      > > By default, when i used "which vim" . It shows "/usr/<comp_name>/bin/vim"
      > > .
      > > I didnot like taht version of vim .
      > > So in my .cshrc file i used an alias like this
      > >
      > > "alias vim /usr/<comp_name>/pkgs/vim/7.2/bin/vim" . I liked this version.
      > >
      > > Is this effecting anyways?
      >
      > Possibly.
      >
      > It would help, if you started answering the questions,
      > that have been asked. Try to redo the examples given by Gary in
      > <20130131162709.GA1644@phoenix> and show us the result.

      I thought of another command that might give us more information
      than my previous suggestions. Execute the following at your shell
      prompt.

      vim -N -u NONE -i NONE -V9verbose --cmd 'syntax on' file1.v

      Then execute the following within vim.

      :sp file2.v

      Note any syntax highlighting in either window, then execute

      :qa

      There will be a file in the current directory named verbose which
      will contain a record of the autocommands executed and files
      sourced. See ":help 'verbose'" for more on what is in that file.
      Open the file and verify that it doesn't contain any sensitive
      information (it shouldn't). Then attach it to your next reply to
      this list.

      If you saw file2.v properly highlighted, then there is something in
      one of your configuration files that is causing the problem. In
      that case, you could repeat the steps above starting with this
      command,

      vim -V9verbose2 file1.v

      and also attach the file verbose2 to your next reply.

      Regards,
      Gary

    • naaj_ila
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
        Hi Gary ,
        Its working fine
        i added these things in ~/.vim/syntax/filetype.vim

        augroup filetypedetect
        au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.v so ~/.vim/syntax/verilog.vim
        augroup END

        Working fine from now
        I need one more help

        Whenever , i wanted to open VIm in new buffer via (sp and tabnew ) , i need
        to source one command

        :let b:match_words =
        '\<begin\>:\<end\>,'.'\<class\>:\<endclass\>,'.'\<task\>:\<endtask\>,'.'\<case\>:\<endcase\>'

        How can i do that
        I added thsi one in .vimrc. Its working only for one file but not in split
        files

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
          On 2013-02-01, naaj_ila wrote:
          > Hi Gary ,
          > Its working fine
          > i added these things in ~/.vim/syntax/filetype.vim
          >
          > augroup filetypedetect
          > au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.v so ~/.vim/syntax/verilog.vim
          > augroup END
          >

          > Working fine from now

          How does putting that in ~/.vim/syntax/filetype.vim help you? That
          file should be sourced by vim only when you open a file whose file
          type is filetype.

          While your solution may work in this instance, it is not the
          standard way of doing these things. If your version of vim does not
          automatically detect verilog files, a proper solution is to put
          something like this

          augroup filetypedetect
          au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.v setfiletype verilog
          augroup END

          in ~/.vim/filetype.vim. Vim will then take care of sourcing
          ~/.vim/syntax/verilog.vim for you if you have "syntax on". It will
          also source any other verilog plugins such as
          ~/.vim/ftplugin/verilog.vim if you have an appropriate "filetype on"
          command in your ~/.vimrc. See

          :help new-filetype

          There is nothing wrong with doing things a non-standard way as long
          as you know what you're doing. If you're not sure what you're
          doing, or you seem to be having difficulty in getting something to
          work, it is better to follow the standard methods as you will have
          fewer problems and it will be easier for others to help you.

          > I need one more help
          >
          > Whenever , i wanted to open VIm in new buffer via (sp and tabnew ) , i need
          > to source one command
          >
          > :let b:match_words =
          > '\<begin\>:\<end\>,'.'\<class\>:\<endclass\>,'.'\<task\>:\<endtask\>,'.'\<case\>:\<endcase\>'
          >
          > How can i do that
          > I added thsi one in .vimrc. Its working only for one file but not in split
          > files

          It's not working for any but the first file you open because
          b:match_words is a buffer-local variable. See

          :help buffer-variable

          The setting of b:match_words should be done in a filetype plugin so
          that it is done for every buffer of that filetype. In this case, it
          should be put in ~/.vim/ftplugin/verilog.vim or
          ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/verilog.vim.

          This is a good example of why your autocommand above should set the
          filetype to verilog instead of sourcing your syntax file. If you
          set the filetype properly, things like filetype plugins just work.

          Regards,
          Gary

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
            Hi naaj_ila!

            On Fr, 01 Feb 2013, naaj_ila wrote:

            > Whenever , i wanted to open VIm in new buffer via (sp and tabnew ) , i need
            > to source one command
            >
            > :let b:match_words =
            > '\<begin\>:\<end\>,'.'\<class\>:\<endclass\>,'.'\<task\>:\<endtask\>,'.'\<case\>:\<endcase\>'
            >
            > How can i do that
            > I added thsi one in .vimrc. Its working only for one file but not in split
            > files

            What was wrong with the answer you received last time?

            regards,
            Christian
            --
            Oft tut auch der Unrecht, der nichts tut. Wer das Unrecht nicht
            verbietet, wenn er kann, der befiehlt es.

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
              Hi naaj_ila!

              On Fr, 01 Feb 2013, naaj_ila wrote:

              > Its working fine
              > i added these things in ~/.vim/syntax/filetype.vim

              This looks totally wrong.

              > augroup filetypedetect
              > au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.v so ~/.vim/syntax/verilog.vim
              > augroup END

              I am wondering, why do you need this? Vim should automatically detect
              *.v files as verilog files? Does yours not?

              Try this: vim -u NONE -N file.v

              What does Vim tell you, after entering:

              :filetype detect
              :set ft?

              regards,
              Christian
              --
              Lieber Kaker-Laken, als gar keine Bettwäsche.

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 3, 2013
                Hi alijohnshaik!
                (redirecting to vim_use)

                On Sa, 02 Feb 2013, alijohnshaik@... wrote:

                > <quote author='Christian Brabandt'>
                > Hi naaj_ila!
                >
                > On Fr, 01 Feb 2013, naaj_ila wrote:
                >
                > > Its working fine
                > > i added these things in ~/.vim/syntax/filetype.vim
                >
                > This looks totally wrong.
                > >
                > > augroup filetypedetect
                > > au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.v so ~/.vim/syntax/verilog.vim
                > > augroup END
                >
                > I am wondering, why do you need this? Vim should automatically detect
                > *.v files as verilog files? Does yours not?
                >
                > Try this: vim -u NONE -N file.v
                >
                > What does Vim tell you, after entering:
                >
                > :filetype detect
                > :set ft?
                > --------------------------------------
                > Its coming like this after executing the command
                > filetype =
                > -----------------------------------

                Interesting. Your vim does not by default detect verilog files. What vim
                version is this?

                To make vim recognize .v files as verilog filetypes, put the following
                into your .vimrc:
                filetype plugin on

                Now create a file called ~/.vim/ftdetect/verilog.vim (create
                non-existing directories) and put in that file:
                ,----
                | au BufRead,BufNewFile *.v set filetype=verilog
                `----

                and then place your verilog.vim syntax file into
                ~/.vim/syntax/ (again, creating non-existent directories).
                (and make sure, your .vimrc contains:
                :syntax on

                See also the help at :h new-filetype and have a look at section 26 of
                the faq http://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html

                regards,
                Christian
                --
                Was kann an der Arbeit gut sein, wenn die Reichen sie den Armen überlassen.

              • alijaan
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 3, 2013
                  Thanks Christian

                  Yeah its wroking fine

                  On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
                  Hi alijohnshaik!
                  (redirecting to vim_use)

                  On Sa, 02 Feb 2013, alijohnshaik@... wrote:

                  > <quote author='Christian Brabandt'>
                  > Hi naaj_ila!
                  >
                  > On Fr, 01 Feb 2013, naaj_ila wrote:
                  >
                  > > Its working fine
                  > > i added these things in ~/.vim/syntax/filetype.vim
                  >
                  > This looks totally wrong.
                  > >
                  > > augroup filetypedetect
                  > > au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.v so ~/.vim/syntax/verilog.vim
                  > > augroup END
                  >
                  > I am wondering, why do you need this? Vim should automatically detect
                  > *.v files as verilog files? Does yours not?
                  >
                  > Try this: vim -u NONE -N file.v
                  >
                  > What does Vim tell you, after entering:
                  >
                  > :filetype detect
                  > :set ft?
                  > --------------------------------------
                  > Its coming like this  after executing the command
                  > filetype =
                  > -----------------------------------

                  Interesting. Your vim does not by default detect verilog files. What vim
                  version is this?

                  To make vim recognize .v files as verilog filetypes, put the following
                  into your .vimrc:
                  filetype plugin on

                  Now create a file called ~/.vim/ftdetect/verilog.vim (create
                  non-existing directories) and put in that file:
                  ,----
                  | au BufRead,BufNewFile *.v set filetype=verilog
                  `----

                  and then place your verilog.vim syntax file into
                  ~/.vim/syntax/ (again, creating non-existent directories).
                  (and make sure, your .vimrc contains:
                  :syntax on

                  See also the help at :h new-filetype and have a look at section 26 of
                  the faq http://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html

                  regards,
                  Christian
                  --
                  Was kann an der Arbeit gut sein, wenn die Reichen sie den Armen überlassen.

                • Venu Gopal
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 8, 2014
                    I had the same issue, but is now solved with your solution.

                    Thanks, Christian!