Re: ctags processing jumps to wrong tag?

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
      On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:02:19 PM UTC-6, Ben Fritz wrote:

      > I found a reasonable workaround for my uses. Using the -B flag to ctags
      > generation generates backwards search patterns from the end of the file,
      > so always the last occurrence (the function definition) is found instead
      > of always the first (the function prototype). This makes the prototype for
      > these functions inaccessible via tag jumping, but normally I want the
      > function definition anyway so it's less of an issue than the behavior
      > without -B.
      >
      > I may experiment sometime to see if I can generating ONLY prototype tags
      > and append them to a tags file generated without prototypes. Then I could
      > use forward search for prototypes and backwards search for definitions.

      Forward searching prototypes and backward searching functions is actually
      really easy, I found. Just invoke ctags twice, as follows:

      !"C:/Documents and Settings/ben/ctags58_win32/ctags.exe" --extra=+f --fields=+SK-k --totals -B %
      !"C:/Documents and Settings/ben/ctags58_win32/ctags.exe" --extra=+f --fields=+SK-k --totals --c-kinds=p -a %

      Now I can access both the prototype and the function definition regardless
      of how similar the location pattern!