how to use substitute() add a newline

  • h2ero
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
      I use follow two method, but it only show ^M and ^@, who know how to add a newline. thanks
      let n_line = substitute(n_line,'\({\)','\r\1','g')
      let n_line = substitute(n_line,'\({\)','\n\1','g')

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
        On 29/01/13 11:13, h2ero wrote:

        > I use follow two method, but it only show ^M and ^@, who know how to add a newline. thanks
        > let n_line = substitute(n_line,'\({\)','\r\1','g')
        > let n_line = substitute(n_line,'\({\)','\n\1','g')

        In :s[ubstitute], \n in the pattern finds a newline, \r in the
        replace-by string breaks the line.

        In substitute(), \n both finds a newline or replaces by one, but if the
        string is got from or inserted into a file, a newline in the string may
        mean a null byte in the file, depending how you lift the string or put
        it back. (IIUC, a newline in a register still means a linebreak in the
        file, but there, there is another hitch: any register whose contents end
        in a newline is regarded as linewise.)

        See :help NL-used-for-Nul

        -- George Bernard Shaw

      • h2ero
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
          On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:57:44 PM UTC+8, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > On 29/01/13 11:13, h2ero wrote:
          >

          > > I use follow two method, but it only show ^M and ^@, who know how to add a newline. thanks
          >
          > > let n_line = substitute(n_line,'\({\)','\r\1','g')
          >
          > > let n_line = substitute(n_line,'\({\)','\n\1','g')
          >

          > In :s[ubstitute], \n in the pattern finds a newline, \r in the
          >
          > replace-by string breaks the line.
          >

          > In substitute(), \n both finds a newline or replaces by one, but if the
          >
          > string is got from or inserted into a file, a newline in the string may
          >
          > mean a null byte in the file, depending how you lift the string or put
          >
          > it back. (IIUC, a newline in a register still means a linebreak in the
          >
          > file, but there, there is another hitch: any register whose contents end
          >
          > in a newline is regarded as linewise.)
          >

          > See :help NL-used-for-Nul
          >

          > Best regards,
          >
          > Tony.
          >
          > --
          >
          > The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
          >
          > persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all
          >
          > progress depends on the unreasonable man.
          >
          > -- George Bernard Shaw

          Tony, thank you.
          You let me know reason.
          I have fixed it use setline(n_line ,split("\r\nh","\n"))