Re: Possible to stretch cursor on tab character?

  • neolus
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
      sigh, how dissapointing.

    • neolus
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
        wait! what about having the cursor change color specifically when on a tab?
        that wouldn't require any stretching?

      • neolus
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
          ok ....
          function! TabCursor()
          let currentchar = getline('.')[col('.')-1]
          if currentchar == ' '
          highlight Cursor guibg=#0FF74A
          else
          highlight Cursor guibg=#7F97AA
          endif
          endfunction

          au CursorMoved * :call TabCursor()

          I discovered getline from this post
          http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/How-to-get-the-charactor-under-cursor-in-vimscript-td1181648.html

          This will have to do , I like the fact that tabs are invisible, but I also
          like knowing where i and a will go.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
            On 27/01/13 23:17, neolus wrote:
            > wait! what about having the cursor change color specifically when on a tab?
            > that wouldn't require any stretching?

            You could, with some jumping through hoops; but what is wrong with yhe
            built-in 'list' and 'listchars' options?

            If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to
            be paid
            just as it would for a vehicle.
            [real standing law in Florida, United States of America]

          • neolus
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
              a) the listchars option didn't address my issue, in fact I specifically
              mentioned that I was not interested in highlighting all the tabs on the
              page, and not liking the look of the page covered with ghost characters is
              simply a matter of personal preference.
              b) I don't know what hoops you're referring to as that code I posted works
              just fine.

            • neolus
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
                ah ok I found some hoops to jump through
                function! TabCursor()
                let currentchar = getline('.')[col('.')-1]
                if currentchar == ' '
                if mode() == "n"
                normal v
                redraw
                sleep 4m
                normal v
                endif
                highlight Cursor guibg=#0FF74A
                else
                highlight Cursor guibg=#7F97AA
                endif
                endfunction

                this is actually closer to what I had in mind, except ideally I would have
                it blink and highlight the current tab at every blink.