Re: Mapping for switching windows

  • darkweasel
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
      Am 2013-01-26 23:03, schrieb Christian Brabandt:
      > The problem with ctrl is, it does not reliably work in all terminals.

      And in addition, the ability to use "alphanumeric" keys to move around
      is the very reason many people (at least me) use vim and not something
      like kate or gedit or Notepad or TextEdit.

      regards
      darkweasel

    • skeept
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
        On Friday, January 25, 2013 5:57:30 PM UTC-5, Adolfo Olivera wrote:
        > Hello List,
        >
        >              Does anyone have some examples on mappings to switch windows faster CTRL-W, h and CTRL-W, l ?

        I use the mappings

        nmap <TAB> <C-W>
        nmap <TAB><TAB> <C-W><C-W>

        this makes the movement between windows very convenient (tab + hjkl) but also other window operations (close (c), quit (q), only (o), top (t), bottom (b), previous (p)). The list goes on...

        Of course if you do this you lose the ability of going back after using a <ctrl-o> jump.
        For that I have a command
        command! -count=1 Jump exe ":norm! <count>\<C-I>"

        so if I use ctrl-o I can use :Jump and go back.
        if you use <c-i> a lot you could define a mapping say ,i to act as <c-i>.

        Regards,

        Jorge