Re: Updating Syntax menu

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
      On 25/01/13 22:36, russurquhart1@... wrote:
      > I want to thank everyone for their help. I think i found the answer.
      >
      > According to this url:
      >
      > http://www.lesismore.co.za/viminform7.html
      >
      > The relative portion:
      >
      > Last, you can add the Vim syntax to the Syntax menu. Open Vim and enter :ed $VIMRUNTIME/makemenu.vim. Add the line below just after the older "Inform" entry. You need to source the file (ie. run it) to update the menus: :source $VIMRUNTIME/makemenu.vim.
      >
      > SynMenu HIJK.Inform7:inform7
      >

      > I entered SynMenu MeNO.MMD:mmd
      >
      > sourced makemenu.vim and that worked!
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Russ

      As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
      anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
      your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
      the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
      (system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
      Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).

      Best regards,
      猥ony.
      --
      Why don't elephants eat penguins ?

      Because they can't get the wrappers off ...

    • Russell Urquhart
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
        On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 06:21:45AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
        > anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
        > your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
        > the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
        > (system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
        > Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).
        >

        > Best regards,
        > 猥ony.
        > --
        > Why don't elephants eat penguins ?
        >
        > Because they can't get the wrappers off ...
        Hi Tony,

        Yes you are correct, i will update my user makemenu.vim accordingly. I, while i was doing this, was thinking the same thing, what do i do, if/when i update my vim. And this will work, right, because i will source THIS makemenu.vim, rather than the system wide one, right?

        Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

        Russ

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
          On 26/01/13 15:34, Russell Urquhart wrote:
          > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 06:21:45AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          >>
          >> As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
          >> anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
          >> your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
          >> the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
          >> (system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
          >> Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).
          >>

          >> Best regards,
          >> 猥ony.
          >> --
          >> Why don't elephants eat penguins ?
          >>
          >> Because they can't get the wrappers off ...
          > Hi Tony,
          >
          > Yes you are correct, i will update my user makemenu.vim accordingly. I, while i was doing this, was thinking the same thing, what do i do, if/when i update my vim. And this will work, right, because i will source THIS makemenu.vim, rather than the system wide one, right?
          >
          > Thanks for steering me in the right direction!
          >
          > Russ

          Hm, after some more searching, I could find no "makemenu.vim" at any
          depth under $VIMRUNTIME in the Vim distribution. Where I see it is in
          the source, at ./runtime/makemenu.vim, and it says it is used by "make
          menu" in the src directory, which implies a compile-time rather than
          run-time use.

          I suppose you might create an unnamed branch in your hg clone, with your
          modified runtime/makemenu.vim, and then use

          cd src
          # source any script to set config settings
          make menu

          to generate the menu.

          See also
          hg help branch
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

          The above assumes a Unix-like OS. I'm not sure which differences (if
          any) would be required to generate the menus on Windows. It may or may
          not depend on which compiler you use to compile Vim.

          "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
          there."
          -- Will Rogers

        • Russell Urquhart
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
            So, would this imply that the Syntax menu should only be updated when a new version is compiled?

            I hink i'm going to keep a copy of the files i updated, probably putting them in the directory that does not get changed, along with a README, for myself, to remind me how to update this file.