Re: Mapping for switching windows

  • Sven Guckes
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 25, 2013
      * Adolfo Olivera <olivera.adolfo@...> [2013-01-26 00:18]:
      > Does anyone have some examples on mappings to
      > switch windows faster [than] CTRL-W,h and CTRL-W,l?

      yes:

      map <left> <c-w>h
      map <right> <c-w>l
      map <up> <c-w>k
      map <down> <c-w>j

      happy?

      but remember: the fastest way to use
      any program is to simply learn about
      the default config - and use just that.

      Sven

      --
      To me vi is Zen. To use vi is to practice zen.
      Every command is a koan. Profound to the

    • neoaggelos@...
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 25, 2013
        Seams great, thanks for sharing!!!

        On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:19 AM, Michael Hernandez <sequethin@...> wrote:

        By the way, TPope's vim-unimpaired plugin has cool bindings for this and other stuff too, you may want to check it out!

        --Mike H

        On Jan 25, 2013, at 6:14 PM, neoaggelos@... wrote:

        You're welcome. Glad to have helped you!

        Sent from my iPod

        On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:13 AM, Adolfo Olivera <olivera.adolfo@...> wrote:

        Ok. I am an idiot. You are telling me to map shift-w to do this.

        Understood. Thank you.

        On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Adolfo Olivera <olivera.adolfo@...> wrote:
        Thanks. What does shift-w exactly does? From what I see it goes down a line?

        On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM, <neoaggelos@...> wrote:

        Hello List,
                     Does anyone have some examples on mappings to switch windows faster CTRL-W, h and CTRL-W, l ?

        I guess mapping shift-w to do this would be great for fast switching

        Add this to your vimrc

        :map <s-w> <esc><c-w><c-w>

        Ctrl-w Ctrl-w is used to go to the next window mapping this to shift-w makes it faster.

        Adolfo Olivera
        15-3429-9743

        --
        Adolfo Olivera
        15-3429-9743

      • Andy Spencer
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 25, 2013
          On 2013-01-25 19:57, Adolfo Olivera wrote:
          > Does anyone have some examples on mappings to switch windows
          > faster *CTRL-W, h and CTRL-W, l* ?

          When I use win32 gvim I use:

          :map <Alt+h> <C-W>h
          :map <Alt+j> <C-W>j
          :map <Alt+k> <C-W>k
          :map <Alt+l> <C-W>l
          :map <Alt+i> gT
          :map <Alt+o> gt

          I also have alt+shift versions of each of those for moving windows and
          tabs rather than just focusing them. I also use the tab key to cycle
          through windows a lot, but this works best with only a couple splits.

          :map <Tab> <C-W><C-W>

          When I use Linux, I have a real window manager and a real shell and
          those sorts of things, which means I don't need Vim's tabs and windows
          nearly as much as I do using win32.
        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
            On Friday, January 25, 2013 5:01:25 PM UTC-6, Aggelos Kolaitis wrote:
            > Hello List,
            >
            >              Does anyone have some examples on mappings to switch windows faster CTRL-W, h and CTRL-W, l ?
            >

            > I guess mapping shift-w to do this would be great for fast switching
            >

            > Add this to your vimrc
            >

            > :map <s-w> <esc><c-w><c-w>
            >

            > Ctrl-w Ctrl-w is used to go to the next window mapping this to shift-w makes it faster.

            I would NEVER consider mapping <S-w>, a.k.a. 'W' which is the "jump to the next WORD" command in normal mode. My 'w' key is one of the most worn on my keyboard, the label is almost entirely gone.

          • neoaggelos@...
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
              Hmmm... You're right, but to my knowledge, W is the same as w. So, it can be used for that purpose...

              Well, that depends on each one's needs of course

              On Jan 26, 2013, at 6:44 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

              > On Friday, January 25, 2013 5:01:25 PM UTC-6, Aggelos Kolaitis wrote:
              >> Hello List,
              >>
              >> Does anyone have some examples on mappings to switch windows faster CTRL-W, h and CTRL-W, l ?
              >>

              >> I guess mapping shift-w to do this would be great for fast switching
              >>

              >> Add this to your vimrc
              >>

              >> :map <s-w> <esc><c-w><c-w>
              >>

              >> Ctrl-w Ctrl-w is used to go to the next window mapping this to shift-w makes it faster.
              >

              > I would NEVER consider mapping <S-w>, a.k.a. 'W' which is the "jump to the next WORD" command in normal mode. My 'w' key is one of the most worn on my keyboard, the label is almost entirely gone.

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                Hi neoaggelos!

                On Sa, 26 Jan 2013, neoaggelos@... wrote:

                > Hmmm... You're right, but to my knowledge, W is the same as w. So, it can be used for that purpose...

                It is not.

                See
                :h word
                :h WORD

                regards,
                Christian
                --
                Die Weltanschauungen mancher Menschen gleichen lächelnden Festungen.
                -- Christian Morgenstern

              • neoaggelos@...
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                  Well, then W is the same as <Ctrl-left> and <ctrl-right> which work at normal, visual and normal mode.

                  On Jan 26, 2013, at 11:37 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

                  > Hi neoaggelos!
                  >
                  > On Sa, 26 Jan 2013, neoaggelos@... wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hmmm... You're right, but to my knowledge, W is the same as w. So, it can be used for that purpose...
                  >
                  > It is not.
                  >
                  > See
                  > :h word
                  > :h WORD
                  >
                  > regards,
                  > Christian
                  > --
                  > Die Weltanschauungen mancher Menschen gleichen lächelnden Festungen.
                  > -- Christian Morgenstern

                • Christian Brabandt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Hi neoaggelos!

                    Please don't top poste.

                    On Sa, 26 Jan 2013, neoaggelos@... wrote:

                    > Well, then W is the same as <Ctrl-left> and <ctrl-right> which work at
                    > normal, visual and normal mode.

                    The problem with ctrl is, it does not reliably work in all terminals.

                    regards,
                    Christian
                    --
                    Man soll die lieben, über die man befielt, aber man soll es ihnen
                    nicht sagen.

                  • darkweasel
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                      Am 2013-01-26 23:03, schrieb Christian Brabandt:
                      > The problem with ctrl is, it does not reliably work in all terminals.

                      And in addition, the ability to use "alphanumeric" keys to move around
                      is the very reason many people (at least me) use vim and not something
                      like kate or gedit or Notepad or TextEdit.

                      regards
                      darkweasel

                    • skeept
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                        On Friday, January 25, 2013 5:57:30 PM UTC-5, Adolfo Olivera wrote:
                        > Hello List,
                        >
                        >              Does anyone have some examples on mappings to switch windows faster CTRL-W, h and CTRL-W, l ?

                        I use the mappings

                        nmap <TAB> <C-W>
                        nmap <TAB><TAB> <C-W><C-W>

                        this makes the movement between windows very convenient (tab + hjkl) but also other window operations (close (c), quit (q), only (o), top (t), bottom (b), previous (p)). The list goes on...

                        Of course if you do this you lose the ability of going back after using a <ctrl-o> jump.
                        For that I have a command
                        command! -count=1 Jump exe ":norm! <count>\<C-I>"

                        so if I use ctrl-o I can use :Jump and go back.
                        if you use <c-i> a lot you could define a mapping say ,i to act as <c-i>.

                        Regards,

                        Jorge