Re: Re: Updating Syntax menu

  • russurquhart1@...
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
      I want to thank everyone for their help. I think i found the answer.

      According to this url:

      http://www.lesismore.co.za/viminform7.html

      The relative portion:

      Last, you can add the Vim syntax to the Syntax menu. Open Vim and enter :ed $VIMRUNTIME/makemenu.vim. Add the line below just after the older "Inform" entry. You need to source the file (ie. run it) to update the menus: :source $VIMRUNTIME/makemenu.vim.

      SynMenu HIJK.Inform7:inform7

      I entered SynMenu MeNO.MMD:mmd

      sourced makemenu.vim and that worked!

      Thanks,

      Russ

      So you've wrung your eyes of all your tears
      And you caught them in a glass
      To save them for some day next year, when you're waxing over your past
      And should you ever begin to believe
      That the good times was worth all the waste
      Find your glass of last year's tears and you take a taste

      On 01/24/13, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

      On 24/01/13 17:07, russurquhart1@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I've been adding new syntax files, and putting them in the correct location, but i don't know if i am supposed to manually update the synmenu.vim file, or does some other process do that, so that my new syntax files show up in the menu.
      >
      > Any help is greatly appreciated!
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > Russ

      IIUC, "Syntax → Show filetypes in menu" doesn't add menuitems with the
      name of *syntax* plugins but of *filetype* plugins. If your new syntax
      scripts don't appear, try adding zero-length files of the same names
      (not overwriting existing scripts, of course) in ~/.vim/ftplugin/ (for
      Unix-like) or in ~/vimfiles/ftplugin/ (for Windows).

      You may have to restart Vim (I'm not sure) to have the new filetypes
      inserted in the Syntax menu.

      If *that* doesn't work, then don't modify $VIMRUNTIME/synmenu.vim (in
      general, NEVER modify ANYTHING in the $VIMRUNTIME directory tree,
      because any Vim update may silently remove your changes); rather, add
      additional synmenu.vim files in ~/.vim/ (for Unix-like) or in ~/vimfiles
      (for Windows). IIUC they will be sourced in addition to the default
      scripts, because Vim installs them by doing ":runtime! synmenu.vim" (see
      ":help :runtime").

      You can be stopped by the police for biking over 65 miles per hour.
      You are not allowed to walk across a street on your hands.
      [real standing laws in Connecticut, United States of America]

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
        On 25/01/13 22:36, russurquhart1@... wrote:
        > I want to thank everyone for their help. I think i found the answer.
        >
        > According to this url:
        >
        > http://www.lesismore.co.za/viminform7.html
        >
        > The relative portion:
        >
        > Last, you can add the Vim syntax to the Syntax menu. Open Vim and enter :ed $VIMRUNTIME/makemenu.vim. Add the line below just after the older "Inform" entry. You need to source the file (ie. run it) to update the menus: :source $VIMRUNTIME/makemenu.vim.
        >
        > SynMenu HIJK.Inform7:inform7
        >

        > I entered SynMenu MeNO.MMD:mmd
        >
        > sourced makemenu.vim and that worked!
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Russ

        As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
        anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
        your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
        the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
        (system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
        Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).

        Best regards,
        猥ony.
        --
        Why don't elephants eat penguins ?

        Because they can't get the wrappers off ...

      • Russell Urquhart
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
          On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 06:21:45AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
          > anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
          > your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
          > the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
          > (system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
          > Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).
          >

          > Best regards,
          > 猥ony.
          > --
          > Why don't elephants eat penguins ?
          >
          > Because they can't get the wrappers off ...
          Hi Tony,

          Yes you are correct, i will update my user makemenu.vim accordingly. I, while i was doing this, was thinking the same thing, what do i do, if/when i update my vim. And this will work, right, because i will source THIS makemenu.vim, rather than the system wide one, right?

          Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

          Russ

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
            On 26/01/13 15:34, Russell Urquhart wrote:
            > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 06:21:45AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >>
            >> As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
            >> anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
            >> your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
            >> the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
            >> (system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
            >> Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).
            >>

            >> Best regards,
            >> 猥ony.
            >> --
            >> Why don't elephants eat penguins ?
            >>
            >> Because they can't get the wrappers off ...
            > Hi Tony,
            >
            > Yes you are correct, i will update my user makemenu.vim accordingly. I, while i was doing this, was thinking the same thing, what do i do, if/when i update my vim. And this will work, right, because i will source THIS makemenu.vim, rather than the system wide one, right?
            >
            > Thanks for steering me in the right direction!
            >
            > Russ

            Hm, after some more searching, I could find no "makemenu.vim" at any
            depth under $VIMRUNTIME in the Vim distribution. Where I see it is in
            the source, at ./runtime/makemenu.vim, and it says it is used by "make
            menu" in the src directory, which implies a compile-time rather than
            run-time use.

            I suppose you might create an unnamed branch in your hg clone, with your
            modified runtime/makemenu.vim, and then use

            cd src
            # source any script to set config settings
            make menu

            to generate the menu.

            See also
            hg help branch
            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
            http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

            The above assumes a Unix-like OS. I'm not sure which differences (if
            any) would be required to generate the menus on Windows. It may or may
            not depend on which compiler you use to compile Vim.

            "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
            there."
            -- Will Rogers

          • Russell Urquhart
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
              So, would this imply that the Syntax menu should only be updated when a new version is compiled?

              I hink i'm going to keep a copy of the files i updated, probably putting them in the directory that does not get changed, along with a README, for myself, to remind me how to update this file.