Re: does vi has a funtion like "grep -v"?

  • Jiantao Wu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
      No, it does not. You can use '?' or '/' to search.

      2013/1/25 skyworld <chenyong20000@...>
      Hi,

      does vi has a fuction like "grep -v"? I always found I need to seach
      within the file with those lines which exclue specific strings.
      Thanks.

      regards

    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
        Hi skyworld,

        On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 01:21:37 -0800 (PST)
        skyworld <chenyong20000@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > does vi has a fuction like "grep -v"? I always found I need to seach
        > within the file with those lines which exclue specific strings.
        > Thanks.

        First of all, you can use :v/re/p (Replace p with whatever). Otherwise look at
        negated regular expressions in http://shlomif-tech.livejournal.com/40557.html .

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

      • Catalin Ciurea
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
          On Friday, January 25, 2013 11:21:37 AM UTC+2, skyworld wrote:
          > Hi,
          >

          > does vi has a fuction like "grep -v"? I always found I need to seach
          >
          > within the file with those lines which exclue specific strings.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >

          > regards

          See the :grep command (:he :grep) in Vim.
          This command uses the 'grepprg' option to check what program to call. By default is 'grep -n'(See :he 'grepprg')

          You can always do something like:
          set grepprg+=-v
          :grep foo *

          Check :vimgrep command also. It uses Vim regular expressions and an internal search engine. (Slower but if you are familiar with Vim re, it's a good option)

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
            skyworld wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > does vi has a fuction like "grep -v"? I always found I need to seach
            > within the file with those lines which exclue specific strings.
            > Thanks.

            Here are two methods:

            :v/pattern/p

            /^\%(\%(pattern\)\@!.\)*$

            You may find LogiPat of interest; it allows you to construct patterns
            using Boolean logic (not, and, or):
            http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#LOGIPAT

            Regards,
            C Campbell

          • skyworld
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
              Thanks for all of your kind reply. I will check these ways.

              On Jan 25, 5:26 pm, Jiantao Wu <4576211...@...> wrote:
              > No, it does not. You can use '?' or '/' to search.
              >
              > 2013/1/25 skyworld <chenyong20...@...>
              >

              > > Hi,
              >
              > > does vi has a fuction like "grep -v"? I always found I need to seach
              > > within the file with those lines which exclue specific strings.
              > > Thanks.
              >
              > > regards
              >
              > > --
              > > --
              > > For more information, visithttp://www.vim.org/maillist.php- Hide quoted text -

            • Ping
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
                Why not just use external grep in vim if that's what you want?
                :[range]!grep -v

                On Jan 25, 2013, at 7:20 AM, Catalin Ciurea <catalin.ciurea@...> wrote:

                > On Friday, January 25, 2013 11:21:37 AM UTC+2, skyworld wrote:
                >> Hi,
                >>

                >> does vi has a fuction like "grep -v"? I always found I need to seach
                >>
                >> within the file with those lines which exclue specific strings.
                >>
                >> Thanks.
                >>

                >> regards
                >
                > See the :grep command (:he :grep) in Vim.
                > This command uses the 'grepprg' option to check what program to call. By default is 'grep -n'(See :he 'grepprg')
                >
                > You can always do something like:
                > set grepprg+=-v
                > :grep foo *
                >
                > Check :vimgrep command also. It uses Vim regular expressions and an internal search engine. (Slower but if you are familiar with Vim re, it's a good option)

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
                  On Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:34:32 AM UTC-6, ping wrote:
                  > Why not just use external grep in vim if that's what you want?
                  >
                  > :[range]!grep -v

                  This will replace all the lines in [range] with the output of !grep. I don't think the OP wanted to DELETE the lines, just find them.

                  The better way to invoke external grep for searching from Vim is with Vim's :grep command, which invokes 'grepprg' and then populates the quickfix list. 'grepprg' by default just uses grep.

                • ping
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
                    On 1/26/2013 11:38 AM, Ben Fritz wrote:
                    > On Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:34:32 AM UTC-6, ping wrote:
                    >> Why not just use external grep in vim if that's what you want?
                    >>
                    >> :[range]!grep -v
                    >>

                    > This will replace all the lines in [range] with the output of !grep. I don't think the OP wanted to DELETE the lines, just find them.
                    >
                    > The better way to invoke external grep for searching from Vim is with Vim's :grep command, which invokes 'grepprg' and then populates the quickfix list. 'grepprg' by default just uses grep.

                    that's a good point, but from what my experiences (test, errors), in an
                    attempt to find the solution for this desire , I really think the
                    external grep way is the most efficient.
                    reason:

                    1) most of time , I just want to quicky find out the wanted or
                    not-wanted (-v) lines per keyword
                    2) :[range]!grep [-v] will re-use whatever your skills of standard unix
                    tool : grep
                    3) if you don't want to "replace" but to "display", you can use
                    :[range]w !grep [-v]
                    4) but the :[range]w ! way doesn't know "scale", as the new found texts
                    won't but put in a buffer by default, (unless redirected), so you can't
                    re-fine your research based on the result.
                    5) even if you don't want to "replace" the original texts, you can
                    easily go back via "u"
                    6) and if you like what you get, but want to even re-define a new
                    search based on it, just repeat the whole process recursively.
                    7) and once done, always just recover back to original text via some
                    'u'ndos.

                    I also like the vimgrep coming with the fancy quickfix list, but that
                    looks a better usage scenario when I need to search from a bunch of
                    files (under a common dir ).

                    just my 2 cents.

                    regards
                    ping