Re: Re: Updating Syntax menu

  • russurquhart1@...
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
      In this case, i had a syntax file and a ftdetect file. (For multimarkdown.) I put the syntax and ftdetect files in the correct location. the file type is found, but the syntax menu does not update.

      On 01/24/13, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

      On 24/01/13 17:07, russurquhart1@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I've been adding new syntax files, and putting them in the correct location, but i don't know if i am supposed to manually update the synmenu.vim file, or does some other process do that, so that my new syntax files show up in the menu.
      >
      > Any help is greatly appreciated!
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > Russ

      IIUC, "Syntax → Show filetypes in menu" doesn't add menuitems with the
      name of *syntax* plugins but of *filetype* plugins. If your new syntax
      scripts don't appear, try adding zero-length files of the same names
      (not overwriting existing scripts, of course) in ~/.vim/ftplugin/ (for
      Unix-like) or in ~/vimfiles/ftplugin/ (for Windows).

      You may have to restart Vim (I'm not sure) to have the new filetypes
      inserted in the Syntax menu.

      If *that* doesn't work, then don't modify $VIMRUNTIME/synmenu.vim (in
      general, NEVER modify ANYTHING in the $VIMRUNTIME directory tree,
      because any Vim update may silently remove your changes); rather, add
      additional synmenu.vim files in ~/.vim/ (for Unix-like) or in ~/vimfiles
      (for Windows). IIUC they will be sourced in addition to the default
      scripts, because Vim installs them by doing ":runtime! synmenu.vim" (see
      ":help :runtime").

      You can be stopped by the police for biking over 65 miles per hour.
      You are not allowed to walk across a street on your hands.
      [real standing laws in Connecticut, United States of America]

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
        On Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:07:01 PM UTC-6, russur wrote:
        > In this case, i had a syntax file and a ftdetect file. (For multimarkdown.) I put the syntax and ftdetect files in the correct location. the file type is found, but the syntax menu does not update.

        Tony suggested that you try creating at ftplugin file, not an ftdetect file. Still, looking at the synmenu.vim file, it doesn't look like that would have made any difference either. I think you will need to copy and then modify the file as Tony suggest. I see another file called makemenu.vim which apparently generates synmenu.vim, perhaps you can modify and use that instead of direct modification. You'll still want to work on a local copy instead of the distribution copy.

      • russurquhart1@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
          Tony had also suggested creating an empty ftplugin file. I did that, put it in ftplugin, restarted vim, but the syntax menu didn't get updated.

          I'm thinking something manual has to be done, because i have other syntax files, that work, and have their files in the right place but the syntax menu does not show these either.

          Thanks everyone for their help,

          Russ

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
            I want to thank everyone for their help. I think i found the answer.

            According to this url:

            http://www.lesismore.co.za/viminform7.html

            The relative portion:

            Last, you can add the Vim syntax to the Syntax menu. Open Vim and enter :ed $VIMRUNTIME/makemenu.vim. Add the line below just after the older "Inform" entry. You need to source the file (ie. run it) to update the menus: :source $VIMRUNTIME/makemenu.vim.

            SynMenu HIJK.Inform7:inform7

            I entered SynMenu MeNO.MMD:mmd

            sourced makemenu.vim and that worked!

            Thanks,

            Russ

            So you've wrung your eyes of all your tears
            And you caught them in a glass
            To save them for some day next year, when you're waxing over your past
            And should you ever begin to believe
            That the good times was worth all the waste
            Find your glass of last year's tears and you take a taste

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
              On 25/01/13 22:36, russurquhart1@... wrote:
              > I want to thank everyone for their help. I think i found the answer.
              >
              > According to this url:
              >
              > http://www.lesismore.co.za/viminform7.html
              >
              > The relative portion:
              >
              > Last, you can add the Vim syntax to the Syntax menu. Open Vim and enter :ed $VIMRUNTIME/makemenu.vim. Add the line below just after the older "Inform" entry. You need to source the file (ie. run it) to update the menus: :source $VIMRUNTIME/makemenu.vim.
              >
              > SynMenu HIJK.Inform7:inform7
              >

              > I entered SynMenu MeNO.MMD:mmd
              >
              > sourced makemenu.vim and that worked!
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Russ

              As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
              anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
              your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
              the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
              (system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
              Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).

              Best regards,
              猥ony.
              --
              Why don't elephants eat penguins ?

              Because they can't get the wrappers off ...

            • Russell Urquhart
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
                On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 06:21:45AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                > As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
                > anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
                > your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
                > the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
                > (system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
                > Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).
                >

                > Best regards,
                > 猥ony.
                > --
                > Why don't elephants eat penguins ?
                >
                > Because they can't get the wrappers off ...
                Hi Tony,

                Yes you are correct, i will update my user makemenu.vim accordingly. I, while i was doing this, was thinking the same thing, what do i do, if/when i update my vim. And this will work, right, because i will source THIS makemenu.vim, rather than the system wide one, right?

                Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

                Russ

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
                  On 26/01/13 15:34, Russell Urquhart wrote:
                  > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 06:21:45AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                  >>
                  >> As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
                  >> anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
                  >> your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
                  >> the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
                  >> (system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
                  >> Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).
                  >>

                  >> Best regards,
                  >> 猥ony.
                  >> --
                  >> Why don't elephants eat penguins ?
                  >>
                  >> Because they can't get the wrappers off ...
                  > Hi Tony,
                  >
                  > Yes you are correct, i will update my user makemenu.vim accordingly. I, while i was doing this, was thinking the same thing, what do i do, if/when i update my vim. And this will work, right, because i will source THIS makemenu.vim, rather than the system wide one, right?
                  >
                  > Thanks for steering me in the right direction!
                  >
                  > Russ

                  Hm, after some more searching, I could find no "makemenu.vim" at any
                  depth under $VIMRUNTIME in the Vim distribution. Where I see it is in
                  the source, at ./runtime/makemenu.vim, and it says it is used by "make
                  menu" in the src directory, which implies a compile-time rather than
                  run-time use.

                  I suppose you might create an unnamed branch in your hg clone, with your
                  modified runtime/makemenu.vim, and then use

                  cd src
                  # source any script to set config settings
                  make menu

                  to generate the menu.

                  See also
                  hg help branch
                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
                  http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

                  The above assumes a Unix-like OS. I'm not sure which differences (if
                  any) would be required to generate the menus on Windows. It may or may
                  not depend on which compiler you use to compile Vim.

                  "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
                  there."
                  -- Will Rogers

                • Russell Urquhart
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
                    So, would this imply that the Syntax menu should only be updated when a new version is compiled?

                    I hink i'm going to keep a copy of the files i updated, probably putting them in the directory that does not get changed, along with a README, for myself, to remind me how to update this file.