Re: Fwd: Mouse reporting and new standards

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 23, 2013
      Egmont Koblinger wrote:

      > Hi Bram and others,
      >
      > Returning to this old thread regarding mouse clicks beyond column 223...
      >
      > Seems that xterm's 1006 extension is going to be the "winning" one, rather
      > than urxvt's 1015 mode. Almost all terminals that support any mouse
      > coordinate extension do support this extension in their newest released or
      > soon-to-be-released development versions. Probably urxvt is the only
      > exception, but it's always been a bit odd amongs emulators, and I hope the
      > developer will include support one day. This extension is also getting
      > stronger on application side, e.g. Emacs-25 will support it too (only
      > xterm's 1006 mode, not urxvt's 1015).
      >
      > I see that someone was kind enough to already provide support for 1006 in
      > Vim.
      >
      > My only pet peeve is that the 1006 mode is not compiled in by default.
      > Trying to think from a user's point of view, this extension is not a
      > feature, it's a bugfix (of a broken protocol). With the default compile
      > options, one can use mouse in the first 223 columns only - I doubt anyone
      > would want this. Having no mouse support at all might make sense, full
      > mouse support sure does make sense, but something in between doesn't for
      > me, still that's what one gets after a simple ./configure && make.
      >
      > I think it would be great if people who have Vim with mouse support would
      > be able to use it without limits, and without requiring to digging into
      > configure options.
      >
      > We're very close to that: all it would take is a one-line patch in
      > feature.h, making FEAT_MOUSE_SGR guarded by FEAT_NORMAL.
      >
      > If you agree that this is a bugfix and not an add-one feature, with minimal
      > fingerprint in code size, and no risk at all (those terminals that don't
      > support this extension will report old-fashioned codes and Vim will
      > understand those too), then please consider making it a "normal" feature.
      > This way most people would have this working automagically.

      I do not think more than a few people run into the 223 column limit.
      And the new feature only works with the latest terminal emulators. Thus
      it doesn't appear all that important.

      It's more a question of whether we want most things to be included in
      the normal version. I must say that the huge version isn't much bigger
      or slower. So, perhaps we should change it that the huge version is the
      default, and those who want a small Vim can build with fewer features.

      --
      FATHER: Who are you?
      PRINCE: I'm ... your son ...

    • Egmont Koblinger
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 23, 2013
        Hi,

        On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

        I do not think more than a few people run into the 223 column limit.

        True, but even for them, I can't see why this shouldn't be fixed by default :)

        And the new feature only works with the latest terminal emulators.

        I think it's reasonable to assume that on most systems the age of the terminal and the age of vim doesn't differ significantly.  Those having the latest-and-greatest vim are probably not stuck with 10 year old emulators.  In about a year or two, most terminals on most reasonably up-to-date systems will have this feature.

         Thus it doesn't appear all that important.

        Well, this is true :)  You know my opinion, but after all it's your call.

        thanks a lot,
        egmont