Re: Setting position and size of Help and Explore windows

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2013
      On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:26:41 AM UTC+13, Eric Weir wrote:
      > I would like to change the position and size of the windows that open when I execute the Help and Explore commands. How do I do that?

      If the 'helpheight' option does not suit, the help command will use an existing help buffer, so you can create a window, set the buffer type to help, then issue a help command. See :help window for the many commands and options controlling the placement and size of windows. F.ex.

      :14new
      :set bt=help
      :help

      gives a 14 line help window.

      Regards, John Little

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2013
        Charles Campbell wrote:
        > Eric Weir wrote:
        >> In my fumbling way, with help from a subscriber to the vim_mac list,
        >> I'm figuring out how to use vim on an ipad, to the extent that at this
        >> time it's possible to do so.
        >>
        >> I would like to change the position and size of the windows that open
        >> when I execute the Help and Explore commands. How do I do that?
        >>

        > Assuming you mean netrw (for Explore):
        >
        > :help g:netrw_winsize
        > :help g:netrw-v
        > :help g:netrw_altv
        > :help g:netrw-o
        > :help g:netrw_alto
        > :help g:netrw_browse_split
        >
        > I use manpageview for help:
        > (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#MANPAGEVIEW)
        >
        > *OMan* "only" man page will become sole window.
        > Side effect: All windows' contents will be saved first!
        > (windo w) Use :q to terminate the manpage and restore the
        > window setup. Note that mksession is used for this
        > option, hence the +mksession configure-option is required.
        > *HMan* "hsplit" man page will appear in a
        > horizontally split window (default)
        > *VMan* "vsplit" man page will appear in a
        > vertically split window
        > *HEMan* "hsplit=" man page will appear in a horizontally &
        > evenly split window
        > *VEMan* "vsplit=" man page will appear in a vertically &
        > evenly split window
        > *RMan* "reuse" man page will re-use current window. Use
        > <ctrl-o> to return.
        > (for the reuse option, thanks go to Alan Schmitt)
        > *TMan* "tab" man page will be on a separate tab

        If anyone has picked manpageview up -- I've fixed a few things that have
        crept in, so v25c is now out.

        Regards,
        C Campbell