Re: Distinguishing between and mappings in Windows.

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2013
      On Monday, January 21, 2013 9:51:08 PM UTC+13, Jonathan Fudger wrote:

      > I am very keen to solve this problem (either by a cunning workaround, or by a patch if it does turn out to be a bug in Vim).

      You can remap one of the keys in Windows. See in the Vim wiki:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Map_caps_lock_to_escape_in_Windows

      It has a more general discussion (than the title implies), and mentions some FOSS utilities that would avoid registry hacking.

      Note that vim on windows has f13, f14 and f15, though keyboards usually don't, so they become potential targets.

      It has long been recognized, and much discussed, that vim's key model has inadequacies, but the amount of code needing revision to fix it properly has, well, required a commitment that has not been forthcoming, though some are hopeful.

      Regards, John Little

    • Jonathan Fudger
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 2013
        On Monday, 21 January 2013 10:18:31 UTC, John Little wrote:
        > On Monday, January 21, 2013 9:51:08 PM UTC+13, Jonathan Fudger wrote:
        >
        > > I am very keen to solve this problem (either by a cunning workaround, or by a patch if it does turn out to be a bug in Vim).
        >
        > You can remap one of the keys in Windows. See in the Vim wiki:
        > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Map_caps_lock_to_escape_in_Windows
        >
        > It has a more general discussion (than the title implies), and mentions some FOSS utilities that would avoid registry hacking.
        >
        > Note that vim on windows has f13, f14 and f15, though keyboards usually don't, so they become potential targets.
        >
        > It has long been recognized, and much discussed, that vim's key model has inadequacies, but the amount of code needing revision to fix it properly has, well, required a commitment that has not been forthcoming, though some are hopeful.
        >
        > Regards, John Little

        Thanks for your reply, you have clarified the situation for me, and the Autohotkey workaround looks very useful.

        You say that vim's key model is known to have inadequacies, but clearly Vim is capable internally of distinguishing <kEnter> from <Enter> (becuase it works on Linux). Presumably the bug here is that Vim is not correctly interpreting the information passed to it by Windows. Is this really so difficult to fix? I am not talking about overhauling Vim's entire key model, merely making mappings consistent across platforms.

        Thanks for your time,
        Regards,
        Jonathan.