Re: Buffer-local unmap of global mapping

  • Michael Henry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2013
      On 01/13/2013 04:49 PM, Andy Wokula wrote:
      > Several plugins (buffer explorers, file explorers) define a lot of short
      > keys (keys like `d' or `y'), but it's awkward to use them because they
      > often wait for a longer global sequence (e.g. `ds', `ys' from
      > surround.vim).

      I run both the bufexplorer and vim-surround plugins, so I've had
      to work around the problem you describe. My current solution
      for the ``ds`` mapping is:

      augroup local_bufExplorer
      autocmd!
      autocmd BufEnter \[BufExplorer\] unmap ds
      autocmd BufLeave \[BufExplorer\] nmap ds <Plug>Dsurround
      augroup END

      > First idea: add a new buffer-local option that, when enabled, means:
      > Only check buffer-local mappings (not global mappings) when waiting
      > for a complete left-hand-side.
      >
      > Using an option, the mechanism could be turned on and off (how would I
      > otherwise access a global mapping?);
      > (this is opposed to a new mapping modifier (next to <buffer>,
      <silent>,...)).

      After thinking about this for a while, your idea seems to cover
      the problem cases for me. It's hard to pick a good name for the
      option, but I think the functionality fixes this problem.

      Michael Henry