" tabnew . " not showing current directory path

  • naaj_ila
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2013
      I opened afile with vim in terminal
      "vim file1.sv" "<ESC>:tabnew . "
      tabnew will open a file with current directory path and will show the list
      of files.

      But if i opened file in gvim its not working
      "gvim file1.sv" "<ESC>:tabnew ."
      tabnew will open a file with current directory path and NOT showing
      anything in taht file

      Samething happens for "sp . " also

      Can anybody help me guys

    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2013
        Hi naaj_ila,

        On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 01:18:49 -0800 (PST)
        naaj_ila <alijohnshaik@...> wrote:

        > I opened afile with vim in terminal
        > "vim file1.sv" "<ESC>:tabnew . "
        > tabnew will open a file with current directory path and will show the list
        > of files.
        >
        > But if i opened file in gvim its not working
        > "gvim file1.sv" "<ESC>:tabnew ."
        > tabnew will open a file with current directory path and NOT showing
        > anything in taht file
        >

        > Samething happens for "sp . " also
        >
        > Can anybody help me guys

        that sounds like a local Vim misconfiguration problem. Can you try running gvim
        with "-U NONE -u NONE"? This works fine here. After that, you can try
        bisecting .vimrc:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Bisection

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 15, 2013
          naaj_ila wrote:
          > I opened afile with vim in terminal
          > "vim file1.sv" "<ESC>:tabnew . "
          > tabnew will open a file with current directory path and will show the list
          > of files.
          >
          > But if i opened file in gvim its not working
          > "gvim file1.sv" "<ESC>:tabnew ."
          > tabnew will open a file with current directory path and NOT showing
          > anything in taht file
          >

          > Samething happens for "sp . " also

          vim file1.sv
          :tabnew .

          opens a file and then shows a list of files (using netrw) in a new tab
          for me

          Doing the same thing in gvim also opens a file and shows a list of files
          in a new tab for me.

          vim file1.sv
          :sp .

          shows a window with file1.sv and the other window (above the file1.sv
          one) shows the current directory list of files.

          Ditto for doing this with gvim.

          Since you're having problems with gvim and not vim, I'd guess that its
          not a problem with your .vimrc. Open up your .gvimrc and see if you're
          doing settings or something that might interfere.

          Regards,
          C Campbell