Re: Sourcing.vimrc breaks all of these iabbrev

  • sc
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2013
      On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 08:24:40PM -0500, stosss wrote:
      > I just started creating :iabbrev for all sorts of simple things. They
      > all work just fine when Vim starts but they all break when .vimrc is
      > sourced.

      > I don't understand.

      I don't either -- when vim starts is not .vimrc sourced automatically?
      And isn't .vimrc where you've defined them?

      sc

    • Chris Schneider

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2013
          On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM, sc <toothpik@...> wrote:
          > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 08:24:40PM -0500, stosss wrote:
          >> I just started creating :iabbrev for all sorts of simple things. They
          >> all work just fine when Vim starts but they all break when .vimrc is
          >> sourced.
          >
          >> I don't understand.
          >
          > I don't either -- when vim starts is not .vimrc sourced automatically?
          > And isn't .vimrc where you've defined them?

          Yes to both questions

        • stosss
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2013
            On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Chris Schneider
            <chris@...> wrote:
            > I just tried to reproduce this and couldn't.
            >
            > I setup a vimrc iabbrev, launched and it worked. Then did :source ~/.vimrc
            > and the ibbrev still worked. So presumably there's something else weird
            > going on in your vimrc? Maybe a plugin is clearing them?
            >

            > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM, stosss <stosss@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I just started creating :iabbrev for all sorts of simple things. They
            >> all work just fine when Vim starts but they all break when .vimrc is
            >> sourced.
            >>
            >> I don't understand.

            No plugins accept DrChips align plugin

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2013
              On Tue, January 15, 2013 02:24, stosss wrote:
              > I just started creating :iabbrev for all sorts of simple things. They
              > all work just fine when Vim starts but they all break when .vimrc is
              > sourced.
              >
              > I don't understand.

              Please be more specific. How do you start Vim, such that no
              .vimrc is sourced? What makes you think, that after sourcing your
              .vimrc it breaks your abbreviations? Do you get an error message
              and if so which one? Where do you create your iabbrev without
              the .vimrc? What does your .vimrc look like? Is there a simple way to
              reproduce your issue?

              Those are just the couple of questions I can think of.

              regards,
              Christian

            • sc
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 15, 2013
                On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:19:37PM -0500, stosss wrote:
                > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM, sc <toothpik@...> wrote:
                > > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 08:24:40PM -0500, stosss wrote:
                > >> I just started creating :iabbrev for all sorts of simple things. They
                > >> all work just fine when Vim starts but they all break when .vimrc is
                > >> sourced.
                > >
                > >> I don't understand.
                > >
                > > I don't either -- when vim starts is not .vimrc sourced automatically?
                > > And isn't .vimrc where you've defined them?
                > >

                > Yes to both questions

                then you are contradicting yourself -- if they work when vim starts,
                they work when vim is sourced, since that includes sourcing .vimrc --
                how else could they work

                sc

              • stosss
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 15, 2013
                  On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:47 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
                  > On Tue, January 15, 2013 02:24, stosss wrote:
                  >> I just started creating :iabbrev for all sorts of simple things. They
                  >> all work just fine when Vim starts but they all break when .vimrc is
                  >> sourced.
                  >>
                  >> I don't understand.
                  >
                  > Please be more specific. How do you start Vim, such that no
                  > .vimrc is sourced? What makes you think, that after sourcing your
                  > .vimrc it breaks your abbreviations? Do you get an error message
                  > and if so which one? Where do you create your iabbrev without
                  > the .vimrc? What does your .vimrc look like? Is there a simple way to
                  > reproduce your issue?
                  >
                  > Those are just the couple of questions I can think of.

                  Starting gvim from shell or from GUI icon the :iabbrev commands work
                  :source $MYVIMRC they stop working.

                  Starting vim from the shell they don't work period not even new ones
                  typed at the command line.

                  These are simple ones like this
                  :iabbrev od do
                  :iabbrev adn and

                • Christian Brabandt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 15, 2013
                    On Tue, January 15, 2013 12:06, stosss wrote:
                    > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:47 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >> On Tue, January 15, 2013 02:24, stosss wrote:
                    >>> I just started creating :iabbrev for all sorts of simple things. They
                    >>> all work just fine when Vim starts but they all break when .vimrc is
                    >>> sourced.
                    >>>
                    >>> I don't understand.
                    >>
                    >> Please be more specific. How do you start Vim, such that no
                    >> .vimrc is sourced? What makes you think, that after sourcing your
                    >> .vimrc it breaks your abbreviations? Do you get an error message
                    >> and if so which one? Where do you create your iabbrev without
                    >> the .vimrc? What does your .vimrc look like? Is there a simple way to
                    >> reproduce your issue?
                    >>
                    >> Those are just the couple of questions I can think of.
                    >>

                    > Starting gvim from shell or from GUI icon the :iabbrev commands work
                    > :source $MYVIMRC they stop working.
                    >
                    > Starting vim from the shell they don't work period not even new ones
                    > typed at the command line.
                    >
                    > These are simple ones like this
                    > :iabbrev od do
                    > :iabbrev adn and

                    Do you have somehow 'paste' set? Again, please answer all questions
                    given above (e.g. show your $MYVIMRC).

                    regards,
                    Christian

                  • stosss
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 15, 2013
                      SOLVED

                      On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
                      > On Tue, January 15, 2013 12:06, stosss wrote:
                      >> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:47 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...>
                      >> wrote:

                      >>> Please be more specific. How do you start Vim, such that no
                      >>> .vimrc is sourced? What makes you think, that after sourcing your
                      >>> .vimrc it breaks your abbreviations? Do you get an error message
                      >>> and if so which one? Where do you create your iabbrev without
                      >>> the .vimrc? What does your .vimrc look like? Is there a simple way to
                      >>> reproduce your issue?
                      >>>
                      >>> Those are just the couple of questions I can think of.
                      >>>

                      >> Starting gvim from shell or from GUI icon the :iabbrev commands work
                      >> :source $MYVIMRC they stop working.
                      >>
                      >> Starting vim from the shell they don't work period not even new ones
                      >> typed at the command line.
                      >>
                      >> These are simple ones like this
                      >> :iabbrev od do
                      >> :iabbrev adn and
                      >
                      > Do you have somehow 'paste' set? Again, please answer all questions
                      > given above (e.g. show your $MYVIMRC).

                      Thanks Christian, set paste was the problem. When I saw your question
                      I looked up :help paste and there was the answer. set paste disables a
                      lot of things. I removed set paste from .vimrc so maybe some other
                      things that I just avoided will work properly now.