Re: What is a" supposed to do in visual mode?

  • Chris Schneider
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
      I actually cover this about 2/3rds the way through my VimDrills screencast for this week (http://www.vimdrills.com/blog/drill-3-text-objects).  Basically, while in visual mode, you can keep repeating text-objects to expand out your selected area.

      So   va"  (visual all quote), then you can tack on  a) (all paren) to expand outwards further.

      On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM, skeept <skeept@...> wrote:
      On Monday, January 14, 2013 3:57:27 PM UTC-5, Jack Gates wrote:
      > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM, stosss  wrote:
      >
      > > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM, skeept < wrote:
      >
      > >> Hi I was reading some documentation and I came across

      > >> In my case I start visual mode and type a" but nothing seems to happen. Is this supposed to surround the visual selection with "?
      >

      > >> I tried this with vim -u NONE --noplugins.
      >

      > > It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
      >
      > > selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"
      >

      > Correction it works when the cursor is on a quote and selects the
      >
      > quote and matching quote with all the text between them.

      Thanks, that is obvious now.
      Somehow I was reading extend as "add quotes around the visual selection"

      Regards,
      Jorge