Re: What is a" supposed to do in visual mode?

  • stosss
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
      On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM, skeept <skeept@...> wrote:
      > On Monday, January 14, 2013 3:57:27 PM UTC-5, Jack Gates wrote:

      >> > It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
      >>
      >> > selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"
      >>

      >> Correction it works when the cursor is on a quote and selects the
      >>
      >> quote and matching quote with all the text between them.
      >

      > Thanks, that is obvious now.
      > Somehow I was reading extend as "add quotes around the visual selection"

      The surround plugin does that.

    • Chris Schneider
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
        I actually cover this about 2/3rds the way through my VimDrills screencast for this week (http://www.vimdrills.com/blog/drill-3-text-objects).  Basically, while in visual mode, you can keep repeating text-objects to expand out your selected area.

        So   va"  (visual all quote), then you can tack on  a) (all paren) to expand outwards further.

        On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM, skeept <skeept@...> wrote:
        On Monday, January 14, 2013 3:57:27 PM UTC-5, Jack Gates wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM, stosss  wrote:
        >
        > > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM, skeept < wrote:
        >
        > >> Hi I was reading some documentation and I came across

        > >> In my case I start visual mode and type a" but nothing seems to happen. Is this supposed to surround the visual selection with "?
        >

        > >> I tried this with vim -u NONE --noplugins.
        >

        > > It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
        >
        > > selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"
        >

        > Correction it works when the cursor is on a quote and selects the
        >
        > quote and matching quote with all the text between them.

        Thanks, that is obvious now.
        Somehow I was reading extend as "add quotes around the visual selection"

        Regards,
        Jorge