Re: What is a" supposed to do in visual mode?

  • stosss
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
      On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM, skeept <skeept@...> wrote:
      > Hi I was reading some documentation and I came across
      >
      > |v_aquote| a" extend highlighted area with a double
      >
      > In my case I start visual mode and type a" but nothing seems to happen. Is this supposed to surround the visual selection with "?
      >
      > I tried this with vim -u NONE --noplugins.

      It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
      selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"

    • stosss
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
        On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM, stosss <stosss@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM, skeept <skeept@...> wrote:
        >> Hi I was reading some documentation and I came across
        >>
        >> |v_aquote| a" extend highlighted area with a double
        >>
        >> In my case I start visual mode and type a" but nothing seems to happen. Is this supposed to surround the visual selection with "?
        >>
        >> I tried this with vim -u NONE --noplugins.
        >>

        > It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
        > selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"

        Correction it works when the cursor is on a quote and selects the
        quote and matching quote with all the text between them.

      • skeept
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
          On Monday, January 14, 2013 3:57:27 PM UTC-5, Jack Gates wrote:
          > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM, stosss wrote:
          >
          > > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM, skeept < wrote:
          >
          > >> Hi I was reading some documentation and I came across

          > >> In my case I start visual mode and type a" but nothing seems to happen. Is this supposed to surround the visual selection with "?
          >

          > >> I tried this with vim -u NONE --noplugins.
          >

          > > It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
          >
          > > selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"
          >

          > Correction it works when the cursor is on a quote and selects the
          >
          > quote and matching quote with all the text between them.

          Thanks, that is obvious now.
          Somehow I was reading extend as "add quotes around the visual selection"

          Regards,
          Jorge

        • stosss
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
            On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM, skeept <skeept@...> wrote:
            > On Monday, January 14, 2013 3:57:27 PM UTC-5, Jack Gates wrote:

            >> > It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
            >>
            >> > selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"
            >>

            >> Correction it works when the cursor is on a quote and selects the
            >>
            >> quote and matching quote with all the text between them.
            >

            > Thanks, that is obvious now.
            > Somehow I was reading extend as "add quotes around the visual selection"

            The surround plugin does that.

          • Chris Schneider
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
              I actually cover this about 2/3rds the way through my VimDrills screencast for this week (http://www.vimdrills.com/blog/drill-3-text-objects).  Basically, while in visual mode, you can keep repeating text-objects to expand out your selected area.

              So   va"  (visual all quote), then you can tack on  a) (all paren) to expand outwards further.