What is a" supposed to do in visual mode?

  • skeept
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
      Hi I was reading some documentation and I came across

      |v_aquote| a" extend highlighted area with a double

      In my case I start visual mode and type a" but nothing seems to happen. Is this supposed to surround the visual selection with "?

      I tried this with vim -u NONE --noplugins.

      Regards,
      Jorge

    • stosss
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
        On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM, skeept <skeept@...> wrote:
        > Hi I was reading some documentation and I came across
        >
        > |v_aquote| a" extend highlighted area with a double
        >
        > In my case I start visual mode and type a" but nothing seems to happen. Is this supposed to surround the visual selection with "?
        >
        > I tried this with vim -u NONE --noplugins.

        It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
        selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"

      • stosss
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
          On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM, stosss <stosss@...> wrote:
          > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM, skeept <skeept@...> wrote:
          >> Hi I was reading some documentation and I came across
          >>
          >> |v_aquote| a" extend highlighted area with a double
          >>
          >> In my case I start visual mode and type a" but nothing seems to happen. Is this supposed to surround the visual selection with "?
          >>
          >> I tried this with vim -u NONE --noplugins.
          >>

          > It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
          > selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"

          Correction it works when the cursor is on a quote and selects the
          quote and matching quote with all the text between them.

        • skeept
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
            On Monday, January 14, 2013 3:57:27 PM UTC-5, Jack Gates wrote:
            > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM, stosss wrote:
            >
            > > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM, skeept < wrote:
            >
            > >> Hi I was reading some documentation and I came across

            > >> In my case I start visual mode and type a" but nothing seems to happen. Is this supposed to surround the visual selection with "?
            >

            > >> I tried this with vim -u NONE --noplugins.
            >

            > > It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
            >
            > > selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"
            >

            > Correction it works when the cursor is on a quote and selects the
            >
            > quote and matching quote with all the text between them.

            Thanks, that is obvious now.
            Somehow I was reading extend as "add quotes around the visual selection"

            Regards,
            Jorge

          • stosss
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
              On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM, skeept <skeept@...> wrote:
              > On Monday, January 14, 2013 3:57:27 PM UTC-5, Jack Gates wrote:

              >> > It works when your cursor is between quotes. It does a visual
              >>
              >> > selection of everything between the quotes. See :help a"
              >>

              >> Correction it works when the cursor is on a quote and selects the
              >>
              >> quote and matching quote with all the text between them.
              >

              > Thanks, that is obvious now.
              > Somehow I was reading extend as "add quotes around the visual selection"

              The surround plugin does that.

            • Chris Schneider
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
                I actually cover this about 2/3rds the way through my VimDrills screencast for this week (http://www.vimdrills.com/blog/drill-3-text-objects).  Basically, while in visual mode, you can keep repeating text-objects to expand out your selected area.

                So   va"  (visual all quote), then you can tack on  a) (all paren) to expand outwards further.