Vim as Python IDE

  • Zippermeyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2013
      Hello,
      I would like to know what´s the best way to turn Vim into a Python IDE on Windows 7

      Thank you.

    • lordkrandel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12, 2013
        On 12/01/2013 09:02, Zippermeyer wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I would like to know what´s the best way to turn Vim into a Python IDE on Windows 7
        >
        > Thank you.

        There is no such thing as a best way.
        It depends on which features you'd like to get.
        If they are not already there in Vim, you can use plugins, or script
        them yourself.

        There are plenty of tutorial and guides about this on Google,
        but you may just want to follow these two links:
        https://github.com/klen/python-mode#python-mode-python-in-vim
        http://sontek.net/blog/detail/turning-vim-into-a-modern-python-ide

        --
        Wyrmskull

      • Hidolfo Anselmi

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 18, 2013
            > I would like to know what´s the best way to turn Vim into a Python IDE on
            > Windows 7

            If you're interested in autocompletion / goto and this kind of IDE
            stuff, jedi-vim might be for you:

            https://github.com/davidhalter/jedi-vim

            The IDE features are better than those of python-mode, but python-mode
            offers other additional features. They work side by side. Just disable
            the rope features of python-mode.

          • tucky.kong@...
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
              On Friday, January 18, 2013 10:09:19 PM UTC+1, David Halter wrote:

              > The IDE features are better than those of python-mode, but python-mode
              >
              > offers other additional features. They work side by side. Just disable
              >
              > the rope features of python-mode.

              How do you disable those features?
              Do you lose the rope refactoring utilities?

            • Benjamin Klein
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
                On Jan 12, 2013, at 2:02 AM, Zippermeyer <wsullivan21@...> wrote:

                I would like to know what´s the best way to turn Vim into a Python IDE on Windows 7

                There seems to be more written on Vim as a Python IDE than on Vim as an IDE for anything else. I do not use Python, and this is about four years old, but nonetheless, another link:

              • David Halter
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 6, 2013

                  2013/3/6 <tucky.kong@...>
                  On Friday, January 18, 2013 10:09:19 PM UTC+1, David Halter wrote:

                  > The IDE features are better than those of python-mode, but python-mode
                  >
                  > offers other additional features. They work side by side. Just disable
                  >
                  > the rope features of python-mode.

                  How do you disable those features?

                  I'm not a python-mode user, but it's documented somewhere. I think you just need to disable rope auto-completion.

                  Do you lose the rope refactoring utilities?

                  No you don't (as long as you don't mess up the setting).

                  ~ David