Re: A question on folds syntax definition

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
      On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:16:48 AM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:

      > By the way, is there a quick method to unfold 2 fold levels from
      >
      > bottom while keeping the rest folds unchanged?

      What does this mean? Are you looking for the zR/zr/zM/zm commands? See the help entry for each. (mnemonic: zr = "fold reveal" zm = "fold more")

    • Boris Danilov
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
        On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
        > On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:16:48 AM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:
        >>

        >> By the way, is there a quick method to unfold 2 fold levels from
        >>
        >> bottom while keeping the rest folds unchanged?
        >>

        > What does this mean? Are you looking for the zR/zr/zM/zm commands? See the help entry for each. (mnemonic: zr = "fold reveal" zm = "fold more")

        Yeah like those, but I want to fold/unfold from *bottom* while those
        commands do this from *top*. I want to open last one fold from behind
        while keeping top folds without change.

        Regards,
        Boris

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
          On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:54:46 AM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:
          > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
          >
          > > On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:16:48 AM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:
          >

          > >> By the way, is there a quick method to unfold 2 fold levels from
          >

          > >> bottom while keeping the rest folds unchanged?
          >

          > > What does this mean? Are you looking for the zR/zr/zM/zm commands? See the help entry for each. (mnemonic: zr = "fold reveal" zm = "fold more")
          >

          > Yeah like those, but I want to fold/unfold from *bottom* while those
          >
          > commands do this from *top*. I want to open last one fold from behind
          >
          > while keeping top folds without change.

          I still don't understand what you're trying to do. I don't know what you mean by "unfold from the bottom" vs. "unfold from the top" or what "open last one fold from behind" means.

          Can you give an example of text indicating where folds are, which folds start closed, and which folds would be open after whatever command you run?

        • Boris Danilov
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2013
            Ben,

            On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
            > On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:54:46 AM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:

            >> > What does this mean? Are you looking for the zR/zr/zM/zm commands? See the help entry for each. (mnemonic: zr = "fold reveal" zm = "fold more")
            >>
            > Yeah like those, but I want to fold/unfold from *bottom* while those
            > commands do this from *top*. I want to open last one fold from behind
            > while keeping top folds without change.
            >
            > I still don't understand what you're trying to do. I don't know what you mean by "unfold from the bottom" vs. "unfold from the top" or what "open last one fold from behind" means.
            > Can you give an example of text indicating where folds are, which folds start closed, and which folds would be open after whatever command you run?

            Okay, it's been a while until I felt I could formulate my question
            better. I want to open all folds that doesn't contain other folds
            inside of them (or in more complex scenario to open folds that contain
            at most N folds inside). I want other folds state keep unchanged.

            Then, why do I need it? I want the last (in this meaning that the fold
            is *last* when it doesn't contain other forlds) fold level always be
            open no matter what, so that when I finally get to it I don't need to
            open that. Actually I want to control it this way: open the *last*
            level or close the *last* level.

            Regards,
            Boris

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
              On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:20:44 PM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:

              > Okay, it's been a while until I felt I could formulate my question
              > better. I want to open all folds that doesn't contain other folds
              > inside of them (or in more complex scenario to open folds that contain
              > at most N folds inside). I want other folds state keep unchanged.
              >
              > Then, why do I need it? I want the last (in this meaning that the fold
              > is *last* when it doesn't contain other forlds) fold level always be
              > open no matter what, so that when I finally get to it I don't need to
              > open that. Actually I want to control it this way: open the *last*
              > level or close the *last* level.

              Ok, so if I understand correctly, with foldmethod=marker and the default fold
              markers, and this example text:

              folded text {{{1
              is great {{{2 {{{3
              for showing only parts }}}3
              of a file }}}2
              or maybe an outline }}}1

              With all folds closed, this turns into:

              folded text

              After pressing zo:

              folded text {{{1
              is great
              or maybe an outline }}}1

              Now press zo on the "is great" line:

              folded text {{{1
              is great
              of a file }}}2
              or maybe an outline }}}1

              But instead you want all folds open.

              This cannot be accomplished with a simple option setting. However, if you press
              zO or zA instead of zo or za, then any folds under the cursor will be opened
              automatically to any level. Maybe this gets you where you want?

              The other possibility I can think of, is to start with all folds open, then use
              a :g or :folddoopen command combined with foldlevel() to close folds selectively
              using the :foldclose command. This could be done in a BufWinEnter autocmd, for
              example.