Re: A question on folds syntax definition

  • Boris Danilov
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
      Andy,

      > And the help topic is at
      > :h :syn-fold
      >
      > I don't know why you insist on folding by syntax, it doesn't make sense
      > for your language (imho). The opening marker contained in the linewise
      > comment need to extend that comment over several lines up to the closing
      > marker, it's not one-line anymore.
      >
      > And fdm=syntax is also known to be slow.
      >
      > And you cannot create/delete folds with `zf', `zd' etc. but maybe that
      > is intended?

      The language has another kind of folds based on it's meaningful syntax
      and I want to have them along with the user defined foldings. The
      reason user defined folds look like '//>' and '//<' because there is
      already quite enough of source code that uses that convention.

      By the way, is there a quick method to unfold 2 fold levels from
      bottom while keeping the rest folds unchanged?

      Regards,
      Boris

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
        On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:16:48 AM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:

        > By the way, is there a quick method to unfold 2 fold levels from
        >
        > bottom while keeping the rest folds unchanged?

        What does this mean? Are you looking for the zR/zr/zM/zm commands? See the help entry for each. (mnemonic: zr = "fold reveal" zm = "fold more")

      • Boris Danilov
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
          On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
          > On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:16:48 AM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:
          >>

          >> By the way, is there a quick method to unfold 2 fold levels from
          >>
          >> bottom while keeping the rest folds unchanged?
          >>

          > What does this mean? Are you looking for the zR/zr/zM/zm commands? See the help entry for each. (mnemonic: zr = "fold reveal" zm = "fold more")

          Yeah like those, but I want to fold/unfold from *bottom* while those
          commands do this from *top*. I want to open last one fold from behind
          while keeping top folds without change.

          Regards,
          Boris

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
            On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:54:46 AM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:
            > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
            >
            > > On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:16:48 AM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:
            >

            > >> By the way, is there a quick method to unfold 2 fold levels from
            >

            > >> bottom while keeping the rest folds unchanged?
            >

            > > What does this mean? Are you looking for the zR/zr/zM/zm commands? See the help entry for each. (mnemonic: zr = "fold reveal" zm = "fold more")
            >

            > Yeah like those, but I want to fold/unfold from *bottom* while those
            >
            > commands do this from *top*. I want to open last one fold from behind
            >
            > while keeping top folds without change.

            I still don't understand what you're trying to do. I don't know what you mean by "unfold from the bottom" vs. "unfold from the top" or what "open last one fold from behind" means.

            Can you give an example of text indicating where folds are, which folds start closed, and which folds would be open after whatever command you run?

          • Boris Danilov
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2013
              Ben,

              On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
              > On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:54:46 AM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:

              >> > What does this mean? Are you looking for the zR/zr/zM/zm commands? See the help entry for each. (mnemonic: zr = "fold reveal" zm = "fold more")
              >>
              > Yeah like those, but I want to fold/unfold from *bottom* while those
              > commands do this from *top*. I want to open last one fold from behind
              > while keeping top folds without change.
              >
              > I still don't understand what you're trying to do. I don't know what you mean by "unfold from the bottom" vs. "unfold from the top" or what "open last one fold from behind" means.
              > Can you give an example of text indicating where folds are, which folds start closed, and which folds would be open after whatever command you run?

              Okay, it's been a while until I felt I could formulate my question
              better. I want to open all folds that doesn't contain other folds
              inside of them (or in more complex scenario to open folds that contain
              at most N folds inside). I want other folds state keep unchanged.

              Then, why do I need it? I want the last (in this meaning that the fold
              is *last* when it doesn't contain other forlds) fold level always be
              open no matter what, so that when I finally get to it I don't need to
              open that. Actually I want to control it this way: open the *last*
              level or close the *last* level.

              Regards,
              Boris

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:20:44 PM UTC-6, Boris Danilov wrote:

                > Okay, it's been a while until I felt I could formulate my question
                > better. I want to open all folds that doesn't contain other folds
                > inside of them (or in more complex scenario to open folds that contain
                > at most N folds inside). I want other folds state keep unchanged.
                >
                > Then, why do I need it? I want the last (in this meaning that the fold
                > is *last* when it doesn't contain other forlds) fold level always be
                > open no matter what, so that when I finally get to it I don't need to
                > open that. Actually I want to control it this way: open the *last*
                > level or close the *last* level.

                Ok, so if I understand correctly, with foldmethod=marker and the default fold
                markers, and this example text:

                folded text {{{1
                is great {{{2 {{{3
                for showing only parts }}}3
                of a file }}}2
                or maybe an outline }}}1

                With all folds closed, this turns into:

                folded text

                After pressing zo:

                folded text {{{1
                is great
                or maybe an outline }}}1

                Now press zo on the "is great" line:

                folded text {{{1
                is great
                of a file }}}2
                or maybe an outline }}}1

                But instead you want all folds open.

                This cannot be accomplished with a simple option setting. However, if you press
                zO or zA instead of zo or za, then any folds under the cursor will be opened
                automatically to any level. Maybe this gets you where you want?

                The other possibility I can think of, is to start with all folds open, then use
                a :g or :folddoopen command combined with foldlevel() to close folds selectively
                using the :foldclose command. This could be done in a BufWinEnter autocmd, for
                example.